Cost of Thunderbolt $$$

reb422

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
So I'm reading that the HTC Inspire for AT&T will be for sale on Feb. 13 and it will cost $99 on a two year contract... The Inspire isn't that different from a Thunderbolt that it should cost $99 and the TBolt should cost $250. Kickstand, large Dolby speaker, FFC... these are nice features, but $150 more???

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
i dont know if its worth it their basically the same phone minus cdma lte ffc kickstand battery better speaker different camera sensor. shoot their not even the same phones. do i think this phone should cost 250 no but its still cheaper than a 32gig iphone

pnicho

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
So I'm reading that the HTC Inspire for AT&T will be for sale on Feb. 13 and it will cost $99 on a two year contract... The Inspire isn't that different from a Thunderbolt that it should cost $99 and the TBolt should cost $250. Kickstand, large Dolby speaker, FFC... these are nice features, but $150 more???

Yea, I agree. I really don't think they should charge over $200. Especially since it's not a dual-core. I know it's 4g and all but I think they need to start at 2. Hopefully we'll hear a price soon...maybe when we're able to preorder Sunday BB will know the price.

pnicho

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
i dont know if its worth it their basically the same phone minus cdma lte ffc kickstand battery better speaker different camera sensor. shoot their not even the same phones. do i think this phone should cost 250 no but its still cheaper than a 32gig iphone

Yea, the only reason I'm completely ok with it is their throwing in a 32gb memory card. That's $100 right there.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The tbolt has a 32GB card preinstalled which is a $50-100 value.

The tbolt has a 1400mAh battery, the Inspire has a 1230mAh battery.

The tbolt uses the cdma/lte variant of the 45nm cpu (similar to the MyTouch4G, G2, & Desire models) which are faster, have a better gpu, & are more battery efficient. The Inspire uses the gsm vairant of the 65nm cpu(Evo & Incredible). The 65nm processors came out in early 2010 and were installed in new phones through the middle of the year. The 45nm cpu didn't show up until after the middle of 2010.

The tbolt has a better back plate as well. One of the hands on reviews (either on Engadget or one of the Android blogs) said the Inspire has 2 or 3 pieces that unsnap for the battery (on the side) & the sim card (on the bottom). They said the removable doors weren't the easiest to remove or replace. The tbolt has a single removable door that spans from the top of the phone to the kickstand.

The tbolt will make use of Verizons 4G/LTE network for data, while the Inspire's data will run on AT&T's HSPA+ which is more 3G than 4G.

While I wish the tbolt was priced more like current top tier smartphones ($199), I can see why they're charging a premium for it. Between the sd card & the on board memory there will be 40GB of storage on it, which is the maximum it will accept, so you don't have to upgrade it later. Sounds pretty decent to me.

Reactions: anon(75289)

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Having the 32gm card included is great. I'm still using the 2gb (full) that came with my BlackBerry 9630. I don't know what I'll do with all that spare space!

reb422

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
To say that they're "throwing in" a 32gb memory card is inaccurate. If the phone was $199 like it should be, then I'd agree that they're throwing in the card. But to include the memory card but charge $250 isn't "throwing in" anything. Clearly we're gonna be paying for it.

DroidnOk

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
It does not matter to me. I will have to pay full retail price anyways on release day. My next upgrade is not until April. I be damned if I wait till then to grab the TB! :)

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm really close to decided on getting the TBolt on a 1-year contract and waiting on the Bionic or other dual-core phones at the end of the year. But, if it's gonna be $250 for a 2-year contract and $320 or more for a 1-year contract, I'm gonna wait for that first price drop. No way I'm paying that much.

amotter

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
This is a great point DolfanCole...A week or two after the Bionic comes out the Bolt should be under 200 or even less. I did not even think about this, but with all the movement of all the carriers would it be possible to wait a few months. I like the idea of one year at this point because my storm was on a two year and to be honest...for the last year...I have been saying "why did I sign up for two year?" Then again, I think I have learned that unless you get a new phone every three months you will always be wanting the next great thing that comes out!

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
This is a great point DolfanCole...A week or two after the Bionic comes out the Bolt should be under 200 or even less. I did not even think about this, but with all the movement of all the carriers would it be possible to wait a few months. I like the idea of one year at this point because my storm was on a two year and to be honest...for the last year...I have been saying "why did I sign up for two year?" Then again, I think I have learned that unless you get a new phone every three months you will always be wanting the next great thing that comes out!

And just another wrench in the system, this article speculates that the Incredible 2 might come out before the end of March. If that's true, that'll be more incentive to wait a few weeks.

Rumor: Upcoming Verizon Android and BlackBerry launch windows leaked | PhoneDog

huguleyite

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I want a thunderbolt, but at $250, I can't afford to pay that much. I could pay it sure, but I just bought an internet tablet for $300. I just don't think a phone should be close in price to a tablet...at least not this close. I am thinking $150 and you got a sale through a third party site like Amazon, Letstalk, or wirefly. I guess I will wait.

huguleyite

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I just don't see how the Thunderbolt with specs very similar to the Droid Bionic, HTC Inspire 4G, and Motorola Atrix can cost more than all three of those with one less core. Especially, the very much anticipated Atrix. I'm hoping Best Buy releases a price of $150 like the Bionic. That would be just right. Agreed? I mean, we still don't know if there is going to be an added price for the 4G speeds (which there prolly will be).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463