netflix. ARGH!!!

shocka

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
this whole netflix ridiculousness could be a tipping point for me. i'm already a paying netflix member and can't imagine having a 4.3" media powerhouse like the thunderbolt and no netflix streaming. ESPECIALLY given the lame-*ss explanations as to why android hasn't seen this app. so do you think the thunderbolt will be seeing this application? there seem to be conflicting reports at this point.

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
but netflix has said that the netflix-enabled phones will be coming pre-loaded with it. there apparently won't be a market-available netflix app.

Relax bro. This phone will eventually get Netflix. But in the small chance that it doesn't, here's all you will need to do:

1) Wait til the Netflix app comes out for any phone (which should be soon)
2) Wait about 2 days
3) Head over to XDA to find a ported version of the Netflix app available in .apk format for you to install on your device
4) Profit!

:D

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Relax bro. This phone will eventually get Netflix. But in the small chance that it doesn't, here's all you will need to do:

2) Wait about 2 days
3) Head over to XDA to find a ported version of the Netflix app available in .apk format for you to install on your device
4) Profit!

Hence why Netflix is going the distance on securing this app and will prob be coded to the hardware rather than firmware (Most .apk rely on the a certain Android OS such as 2.1 or 2.2 to be running properly). If thats the case, then it won't matter if the .apk gets ported on XDA and given to everyone. Because if the app loads up and processes the verification process, it will likey check the actual hardware itself to make sure its a secure device.

This is just my two cents and just a theory of mine.

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
But it still has to get it's files from Netflix, the phone doesn't have to do any verification. It just has to send out what processor is being used on then phone. Netflix has been in development for the Android app for a year now. So I wouldn't put it past them to do a double verification between the app and the phone then the phone & app to the servers for a 2nd Verification.

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Hence why Netflix is going the distance on securing this app and will prob be coded to the hardware rather than firmware (Most .apk rely on the a certain Android OS such as 2.1 or 2.2 to be running properly). If thats the case, then it won't matter if the .apk gets ported on XDA and given to everyone. Because if the app loads up and processes the verification process, it will likey check the actual hardware itself to make sure its a secure device.

This is just my two cents and just a theory of mine.

You're right, but that's the point of hacking the software. The devs simply remove the code that searches for the hardware. Yes the software will try to search for it, but software can always be hacked and tweaked :D

XDA has all sorts of .apks that do the same thing for Hulu. The Hulu website tries to verify the device you are using, but the devs trick the software to bypass this. Same thing could be done for Netflix.

But again, I firmly believe that we will get a native Netflix app anyway. I only threw this out there as a "just in case" worst scenario kind of thing. I doubt we'll need to go down this road anyway

brownhornet

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

2) Wait about 2 days
4) Profit!

Not going to happen with netflix. They've had the apk on XDA for a while now and havent gotten it to work.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=936789

durangojim#AC

Banned
Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
The LG Revolution is getting netflix. Qualcomm stated that "future devices with the Snapdragon mobile processors (like the LG REvolution) will meet all DRM requirements for Watch Instantly."

The Thunderbolt has the same exact processor as the revolution, so the Thunderbolt is capable of running netflix.

Qualcomm promises Netflix streaming support on 'future Android devices' with Snapdragon -- Engadget

I don't think that the Thunderbolt and Revolution have the same processors, and I don't think Netflix is coming to the bolt.

Android-powered LG Revolution caught streaming Netflix at MWC (video) -- Engadget

"Well, well -- what have we here? That up above is LG's Revolution, a Snapdragon-powered Android superphone. What's inside is no normal Snapdragon, though. It's actually a newfangled chip that isn't shipping to consumers just yet, which includes DRM libraries at a hardware level that serve to satisfy paranoid movie execs. The good news is that Qualcomm has actually whipped up a solution that'll finally bring Watch Instantly to Android; the bad news is that existing smartphones -- even existing Snapdragon devices -- will not be able to utilize the app."

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Not going to happen with netflix. They've had the apk on XDA for a while now and havent gotten it to work.

Netflix apk from from rooted logitech revue (UPDATE 2/14) - xda-developers

But look at the top of that thread. It says that phones that meet the DRM requirements will support the app natively. And from what we heard yesterday, the new snapdragon architecture (which the TB will have) meets the DRM requirements

I still think we'll eventually see a native app for this phone, and if not, I believe there will be enough support behind it to get it to work. The main reason those devs can't get it to work right now is because the latest snapdragon architecture is not yet available for consumers and testers to play with. Once it is, we should see some good progress for multiple devices in that thread.

But you're welcome to disagree :D

brownhornet

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
But look at the top of that thread. It says that phones that meet the DRM requirements will support the app natively. And from what we heard yesterday, the new snapdragon architecture (which the TB will have) meets the DRM requirements

I still think we'll eventually see a native app for this phone. But you're welcome to disagree :D

I guess you didnt watch the netflix video. Unless the Thunderbolt comes with the right DRM in the chip as that LG its not going to work. Its not going to work on any phones that are already out at all.

shellguy05

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
That sucks I really hope that Netflix works for the phone. I already "borrow" my dads account at my house, to "borrow" it to my phone would be even more awesome!

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
So, I just spoke with John at HTC customer support (866-449-8358, 8am to 8pm ET 7 days a week) and he said that the current Thunderbolts being shipped have either the MSM8260 (?) or MSM8660 (?) chip and that neither of these chips have the necessary DRM security keys built in. Sorry guys. He did say that a later build of the Thunderbolt will have a newer ship that will natively support Netflix.

I didn't think if he was right bout the chips so I called back and spoke with a Wendy there and she looked into which processor the Thunderbolt has and she was fun to talk to (sounds cute). Anyway, after being on hold a few times she said the current processor(s) being used is Qualcomm MSM8655, 1 Ghz, MDM9600. I think maybe this is a combination processor and modem, right (?) but then Wendy seemed to start guessing again, like John, that maybe they were being built with two different processors to try them both out. Regarding the DRM security keys, her boss told her to say that they have not yet received enough training but to check back sometime between the 24th and the end of the month.

Thanks, Robrecht

Last edited:

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
hey guys,

i dont mean to look like a complete ignoramus, but, could we get blockbuster streaming like these phones?

Blockbuster On Demand Devices *-*T Mobile*Devices (i know tbolt is on vzw)

besides having to possibly open a new account, is there much of a difference between the 2, or even other types of streaming video?
theres amazon and voodoo and others too no?

maybe netflix has a larger selection, i dont know, but could we still get streaming video via other ways?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital