Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default netflix. ARGH!!!

    this whole netflix ridiculousness could be a tipping point for me. i'm already a paying netflix member and can't imagine having a 4.3" media powerhouse like the thunderbolt and no netflix streaming. ESPECIALLY given the lame-*ss explanations as to why android hasn't seen this app. so do you think the thunderbolt will be seeing this application? there seem to be conflicting reports at this point.
  2. #2  

    Default

    http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-...underbolt.html

    Should be happening, Netflix is focusing on Snapdragon processor Androids first and that is what is aboard the TBolt.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by upz3 View Post
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-...underbolt.html

    Should be happening, Netflix is focusing on Snapdragon processor Androids first and that is what is aboard the TBolt.
    but netflix has said that the netflix-enabled phones will be coming pre-loaded with it. there apparently won't be a market-available netflix app.
  4. #4  

    Default

    "Not that you needed one, but I guess this gives you another reason to consider the Thunderbolt. It’s almost guaranteed to have Netflix support before anyone else in the Android game." from droid-life . looks like the TB will have it
  5. #5  

    Default

    all of WireFlys videos show, what it looks like, part of a blockbuster icon on the very top left of the tbolt screen in just about every video.

    i know netflix and blockbuster have streaming movies to pc's but does blockbuster stream to androids as netflix does to iphones?




    for instance, goto the 2min mark here:
    (check out top left corner of screen)
  6. #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shocka View Post
    but netflix has said that the netflix-enabled phones will be coming pre-loaded with it. there apparently won't be a market-available netflix app.
    Relax bro. This phone will eventually get Netflix. But in the small chance that it doesn't, here's all you will need to do:

    1) Wait til the Netflix app comes out for any phone (which should be soon)
    2) Wait about 2 days
    3) Head over to XDA to find a ported version of the Netflix app available in .apk format for you to install on your device
    4) Profit!

  7. #7  

    Default

    The LG Revolution is getting netflix. Qualcomm stated that "future devices with the Snapdragon mobile processors (like the LG REvolution) will meet all DRM requirements for Watch Instantly."

    The Thunderbolt has the same exact processor as the revolution, so the Thunderbolt is capable of running netflix.

  8. #8  
    Beezzy's Avatar

    Posts
    642 Posts
    Global Posts
    846 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by biff6789 View Post
    Relax bro. This phone will eventually get Netflix. But in the small chance that it doesn't, here's all you will need to do:

    1) Wait til the Netflix app comes out for any phone (which should be soon)
    2) Wait about 2 days
    3) Head over to XDA to find a ported version of the Netflix app available in .apk format for you to install on your device
    4) Profit!

    Hence why Netflix is going the distance on securing this app and will prob be coded to the hardware rather than firmware (Most .apk rely on the a certain Android OS such as 2.1 or 2.2 to be running properly). If thats the case, then it won't matter if the .apk gets ported on XDA and given to everyone. Because if the app loads up and processes the verification process, it will likey check the actual hardware itself to make sure its a secure device.

    This is just my two cents and just a theory of mine.
  9. #9  
    Mustang7303's Avatar

    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF 1.5R / leanKernel

    Default

    And someone alters the verification and publishes it as NetFlack app.
    Cars, Technology, and Stogies ... All the fine things in life.
  10. #10  
    Beezzy's Avatar

    Posts
    642 Posts
    Global Posts
    846 Global Posts

    Default

    But it still has to get it's files from Netflix, the phone doesn't have to do any verification. It just has to send out what processor is being used on then phone. Netflix has been in development for the Android app for a year now. So I wouldn't put it past them to do a double verification between the app and the phone then the phone & app to the servers for a 2nd Verification.
  11. #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BazzBro View Post
    Hence why Netflix is going the distance on securing this app and will prob be coded to the hardware rather than firmware (Most .apk rely on the a certain Android OS such as 2.1 or 2.2 to be running properly). If thats the case, then it won't matter if the .apk gets ported on XDA and given to everyone. Because if the app loads up and processes the verification process, it will likey check the actual hardware itself to make sure its a secure device.

    This is just my two cents and just a theory of mine.
    You're right, but that's the point of hacking the software. The devs simply remove the code that searches for the hardware. Yes the software will try to search for it, but software can always be hacked and tweaked

    XDA has all sorts of .apks that do the same thing for Hulu. The Hulu website tries to verify the device you are using, but the devs trick the software to bypass this. Same thing could be done for Netflix.

    But again, I firmly believe that we will get a native Netflix app anyway. I only threw this out there as a "just in case" worst scenario kind of thing. I doubt we'll need to go down this road anyway
  12. #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by biff6789 View Post
    Relax bro. This phone will eventually get Netflix. But in the small chance that it doesn't, here's all you will need to do:

    1) Wait til the Netflix app comes out for any phone (which should be soon)
    2) Wait about 2 days
    3) Head over to XDA to find a ported version of the Netflix app available in .apk format for you to install on your device
    4) Profit!

    Not going to happen with netflix. They've had the apk on XDA for a while now and havent gotten it to work.

  13. #13  
    durangojim#AC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    263 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bstmstrxellos View Post
    The LG Revolution is getting netflix. Qualcomm stated that "future devices with the Snapdragon mobile processors (like the LG REvolution) will meet all DRM requirements for Watch Instantly."

    The Thunderbolt has the same exact processor as the revolution, so the Thunderbolt is capable of running netflix.

    I don't think that the Thunderbolt and Revolution have the same processors, and I don't think Netflix is coming to the bolt.



    "Well, well -- what have we here? That up above is LG's Revolution, a Snapdragon-powered Android superphone. What's inside is no normal Snapdragon, though. It's actually a newfangled chip that isn't shipping to consumers just yet, which includes DRM libraries at a hardware level that serve to satisfy paranoid movie execs. The good news is that Qualcomm has actually whipped up a solution that'll finally bring Watch Instantly to Android; the bad news is that existing smartphones -- even existing Snapdragon devices -- will not be able to utilize the app."
  14. #14  

    Default

    Yeah but the Thunderbolt's processor is new as well. Not been out there before so they could be referencing the Bolt also.
  15. #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by durangojim View Post
    I don't think that the Thunderbolt and Revolution have the same processors, and I don't think Netflix is coming to the bolt.

    [url= LG Revolution caught streaming Netflix at MWC (video) -- Engadget[/url]

    "Well, well -- what have we here? That up above is LG's Revolution, a Snapdragon-powered Android superphone. What's inside is no normal Snapdragon, though. It's actually a newfangled chip that isn't shipping to consumers just yet, which includes DRM libraries at a hardware level that serve to satisfy paranoid movie execs. The good news is that Qualcomm has actually whipped up a solution that'll finally bring Watch Instantly to Android; the bad news is that existing smartphones -- even existing Snapdragon devices -- will not be able to utilize the app."
    The Revolution and the Thunderbolt both have the MSM8655 snapdragon processor. There is no other Android phone out right now that has that processor.
  16. #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
    Not going to happen with netflix. They've had the apk on XDA for a while now and havent gotten it to work.

    But look at the top of that thread. It says that phones that meet the DRM requirements will support the app natively. And from what we heard yesterday, the new snapdragon architecture (which the TB will have) meets the DRM requirements

    I still think we'll eventually see a native app for this phone, and if not, I believe there will be enough support behind it to get it to work. The main reason those devs can't get it to work right now is because the latest snapdragon architecture is not yet available for consumers and testers to play with. Once it is, we should see some good progress for multiple devices in that thread.

    But you're welcome to disagree
  17. #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by biff6789 View Post
    But look at the top of that thread. It says that phones that meet the DRM requirements will support the app natively. And from what we heard yesterday, the new snapdragon architecture (which the TB will have) meets the DRM requirements

    I still think we'll eventually see a native app for this phone. But you're welcome to disagree
    I guess you didnt watch the netflix video. Unless the Thunderbolt comes with the right DRM in the chip as that LG its not going to work. Its not going to work on any phones that are already out at all.
  18. #18  

    Default

    That sucks I really hope that Netflix works for the phone. I already "borrow" my dads account at my house, to "borrow" it to my phone would be even more awesome!
  19. #19  
    robrecht's Avatar
    Pretty good member

    Posts
    917 Posts

    Default

    So, I just spoke with John at HTC customer support (866-449-8358, 8am to 8pm ET 7 days a week) and he said that the current Thunderbolts being shipped have either the MSM8260 (?) or MSM8660 (?) chip and that neither of these chips have the necessary DRM security keys built in. Sorry guys. He did say that a later build of the Thunderbolt will have a newer ship that will natively support Netflix.

    I didn't think if he was right bout the chips so I called back and spoke with a Wendy there and she looked into which processor the Thunderbolt has and she was fun to talk to (sounds cute). Anyway, after being on hold a few times she said the current processor(s) being used is Qualcomm MSM8655, 1 Ghz, MDM9600. I think maybe this is a combination processor and modem, right (?) but then Wendy seemed to start guessing again, like John, that maybe they were being built with two different processors to try them both out. Regarding the DRM security keys, her boss told her to say that they have not yet received enough training but to check back sometime between the 24th and the end of the month.

    Thanks, Robrecht
    Last edited by robrecht; 02-16-2011 at 12:23 PM.
  20. #20  

    Default

    hey guys,

    i dont mean to look like a complete ignoramus, but, could we get blockbuster streaming like these phones?

    (i know tbolt is on vzw)

    besides having to possibly open a new account, is there much of a difference between the 2, or even other types of streaming video?
    theres amazon and voodoo and others too no?

    maybe netflix has a larger selection, i dont know, but could we still get streaming video via other ways?
  21. #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Green_Laser View Post
    hey guys,

    i dont mean to look like a complete ignoramus, but, could we get blockbuster streaming like these phones?

    (i know tbolt is on vzw)

    besides having to possibly open a new account, is there much of a difference between the 2, or even other types of streaming video?
    theres amazon and voodoo and others too no?

    maybe netflix has a larger selection, i dont know, but could we still get streaming video via other ways?
    I think the point is that many of us already have a Netflix account and being able to stream to our phones would be great. I'm sure theres other streaming applications out there, but those would be additional accounts.
  22. #22  

    Default

    The reason this doesn't make sense is that... are they going to actually start producing a version of the Thunderbolt (in like 6 months or a year from now) that is able to stream Netflix, while the one being released any day now WON'T be able to stream? I would assume he is referring to like the Thunderbolt 2 or something.

    Its not like changing the screen on the Incredible. This would be a significant difference.
  23. #23  

    Default

    So, any more of a concrete word yet people?

    Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk
  24. #24  

    Default

    The LG Revolution has the exact same chip as the Thunderbolt (MSM8655) yet the Revolution will reportedly be getting the Netflix app

    I think this HTC rep robrecht is speaking to is wrong
  25. #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by biff6789 View Post
    The LG Revolution has the exact same chip as the Thunderbolt (MSM8655) yet the Revolution will reportedly be getting the Netflix app

    I think this HTC rep robrecht is speaking to is wrong
    Yeah I just saw this on Engadget. While I'm not really all that concerned about Netflix on my phone personally, I don't see how it couldn't work on the Thunderbolt. Even if it's not on it at launch, I'm sure there will be someone that can get it to work on the Thunderbolt.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B