INCREDIBLE S and 2.4

shocka

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
so i'm still (not so) patiently waiting for the thunderbolt and now i read that the new incredible s will be released soon(ish) and then shortly after that will receive an update to android 2.4. should we assume that the flagship thunderbolt will be receiving the same update, bypassing 2.3 aka gingerbread mach1? verizon and htc remaining mum on details like this is tres tres annoying.

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Nobody really knows since this information has not yet been made public.

I would personally assume, however, that the TB will receive Gingerbread first before any upgrade to 2.4. The TB has had prototypes available since last August and HTC is usually the faster than the other manufacturers at skinning Android with their custom skin (in this case, Sense) so I would think that they have been working on a Gingerbread variant since the day Gingerbread became available. Android 2.4 was just barely announced and is not yet available to the manufacturers. HTC would not sit around and wait for months, I believe they're working on GB for the TB as we speak and have been for some time

The TB is "older" than the Incredible S in this regard and, therefore, will most likely play catch up to 2.4 instead of jumping right to it

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
The Incredible S will be a signifigant upgrade from my DInc, but without a front facing camera and not LTE capable, it just doesn't apeal to me like the TBolt...

As far as it's upgrade path, I have a feeling that they will be on a similar path, seing how they have the same version on Sense, so porting it over shouldn't be too hard. HTC does have the fastest programers of all phone manufacturers...

EDIT: I stand corrected. There IS in fact a front facing camera...

Last edited:

Bobman

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
The Incredible S will be a signifigant upgrade from my DInc, but without a front facing camera and not LTE capable, it just doesn't apeal to me like the TBolt...

The incredible S does have a front facing camera. It looks almost identical to the TB just without LTE and a slightly smaller screen.

Reactions: bkorver

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
The bolt will most likely skip 2.3 both 2.3 and 2.4 are gb just like most phones skipped 2.0 for 2.1 with these phones being so close the only holdup will be VZW

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Also beware of their promise of short after. Leta not forget the Nexus phones must receive the update first. When they say short after they most likely mean before the end of the year.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Hmmmm, I don't have 4G here anyway and won't for I think it's 2 years. Maybe I should think on this Thunderbolt thing some more. Looks like they're going to look almost identical, no? Supposedly (said loosely) pricing for 4G isn't supposed to be any higher but I have a sneaky feeling that's just a cloud that's going to go poof in not so long a time frame - like after they have sold enough TB's and can then jack up the price after it's to late.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Here is another hurdle...

The spec sheet I saw said it had a WCDMA radio. This is NOT compatible with CDMA. In fact, it is another name for UMTS wich is used by GSM networks (AT&T and T-mo).

Unless they change the radio for a Verizon version, I don't see how it could possibly work. Someone please correct me if I am wrong...

WCDMA = UMTS

Eleer

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Is the 2.4 update going to effect the User Interface of the device? (Will the look of the UI change?) Or is this just going to be an update that won't make any changes, just faster?

P.S. I am new to the Android thing. I have been a Blackberry user for a long time and am now wanting to make the jump to Android. I am trying to get familiar with all the Android software and update names.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol