The Price is Killing Me

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
$749? Really?

OK, I get it. Top notch phone. $499 is pretty much the least I've seen for what is generally accepted as a current "Superphone." $599 I can still see, especially with the addition of the LTE chipset. But $749, my gosh. $600 is what CEO of Moto said a WiFi-only Xoom would cost. $799 for the Verizon network version.

I want away from Motorola and the lockdown practice. I probably will start buying phones outright since VZW doesn't do quarterly upgrades, I know right? But cripes. $749?!?! I hope it wont' be staying at that price for too long especially since Dual-Core Snapdraggon phones aren't far off and they just announced a Quad-Core Snapdraggon at MWC.

$749. I think if anyone can bend me over for $749 and make me like it, HTC can, but it's still mean.

blizz419

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
$749? Really?

OK, I get it. Top notch phone. $499 is pretty much the least I've seen for what is generally accepted as a current "Superphone." $599 I can still see, especially with the addition of the LTE chipset. But $749, my gosh. $600 is what CEO of Moto said a WiFi-only Xoom would cost. $799 for the Verizon network version.

I want away from Motorola and the lockdown practice. I probably will start buying phones outright since VZW doesn't do quarterly upgrades, I know right? But cripes. $749?!?! I hope it wont' be staying at that price for too long especially since Dual-Core Snapdraggon phones aren't far off and they just announced a Quad-Core Snapdraggon at MWC.

$749. I think if anyone can bend me over for $749 and make me like it, HTC can, but it's still mean.

from what i understand Best buy always jacks up the full retail price and there was a VZW screenshot that showed a retail of $615

DJBeanPole

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. We've already seen the screenshot clearly showing that Verizon's price is $615. Not $749.

Lets hope. $749 is ridiculous. Wouldn't even make me bat an eye at that price. I'd rather take that money and upgrade my old PC sitting in my office haha.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Both things I did not know. That makes me feel better. Shame on Best Buy then.

Well, my guess is that when they sell the phone on-contract, they get a kickback from Verizon. When selling off-contract, they don't. So, they transfer the kickback to the customer. That'd explain why it's so much higher than Verizon's retail price.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Best buy does jack up the prices. However they do price match. Just bring them something showing Verizon's price and they will match it. I have done this a few times.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
doesnt BB jack up the price until they get the official price? xoom was listed on BB for $1100 or so until the got the official price

westeman

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Best Buy's retail prices are considerably higher than the individual retailer's. Also, I sneaked a peak at Best Buy's mobile Buyer's Guide that they release monthly, (new one comes out this Sunday) and it showed a price of $299.99 on 2yr upgrade. So idk wtf that is about.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I've seen them charge upwards of $1,000 for off contract smartphones. They've been doing this for years. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the recent vzw pricing trend has been $579, so this is a $30 increase. With Washington sales tax tacked on, it will be $670 :'(