Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default The Price is Killing Me

$749? Really?

OK, I get it. Top notch phone. $499 is pretty much the least I've seen for what is generally accepted as a current "Superphone." $599 I can still see, especially with the addition of the LTE chipset. But $749, my gosh. $600 is what CEO of Moto said a WiFi-only Xoom would cost. $799 for the Verizon network version.

I want away from Motorola and the lockdown practice. I probably will start buying phones outright since VZW doesn't do quarterly upgrades, I know right? But cripes. $749?!?! I hope it wont' be staying at that price for too long especially since Dual-Core Snapdraggon phones aren't far off and they just announced a Quad-Core Snapdraggon at MWC.

$749. I think if anyone can bend me over for $749 and make me like it, HTC can, but it's still mean.

ROM
    Liberty 1.5

See what I don't understand is the phone is $249 + $350 ETF = $599.00 How can they charge $749.

Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF 3 RC4.9

Quote Originally Posted by .46caliber View Post
    $749? Really?

OK, I get it. Top notch phone. $499 is pretty much the least I've seen for what is generally accepted as a current "Superphone." $599 I can still see, especially with the addition of the LTE chipset. But $749, my gosh. $600 is what CEO of Moto said a WiFi-only Xoom would cost. $799 for the Verizon network version.

I want away from Motorola and the lockdown practice. I probably will start buying phones outright since VZW doesn't do quarterly upgrades, I know right? But cripes. $749?!?! I hope it wont' be staying at that price for too long especially since Dual-Core Snapdraggon phones aren't far off and they just announced a Quad-Core Snapdraggon at MWC.

$749. I think if anyone can bend me over for $749 and make me like it, HTC can, but it's still mean.

from what i understand Best buy always jacks up the full retail price and there was a VZW screenshot that showed a retail of $615

It's NOT going to retail for $749 at Verizon corporate stores.

Global Posts
    624 Global Posts

Exactly. We've already seen the screenshot clearly showing that Verizon's price is $615. Not $749.

Global Posts
    978 Global Posts
    ROM
    LiquidICSv1.5 MR3V1 JMOD

Quote Originally Posted by Joelist View Post
    Exactly. We've already seen the screenshot clearly showing that Verizon's price is $615. Not $749.
    Lets hope. $749 is ridiculous. Wouldn't even make me bat an eye at that price. I'd rather take that money and upgrade my old PC sitting in my office haha.

Global Posts
    846 Global Posts

Well I already plan on canceling my contract after a month since it's cheaper lol
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by blizz419 View Post
    from what i understand Best buy always jacks up the full retail price and there was a VZW screenshot that showed a retail of $615
    They do. Usually around $150. (or more, depending on the network and how high-end the phone is)
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by blizz419 View Post
    Both things I did not know. That makes me feel better. Shame on Best Buy then.

ROM
    CNA 3.0/leanKernel 4.2.0

Quote Originally Posted by .46caliber View Post
    Both things I did not know. That makes me feel better. Shame on Best Buy then.
    Well, my guess is that when they sell the phone on-contract, they get a kickback from Verizon. When selling off-contract, they don't. So, they transfer the kickback to the customer. That'd explain why it's so much higher than Verizon's retail price.

Best buy does jack up the prices. However they do price match. Just bring them something showing Verizon's price and they will match it. I have done this a few times.

Global Posts
    1,377 Global Posts
    ROM
    Always changing

doesnt BB jack up the price until they get the official price? xoom was listed on BB for $1100 or so until the got the official price
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

Best Buy's retail prices are considerably higher than the individual retailer's. Also, I sneaked a peak at Best Buy's mobile Buyer's Guide that they release monthly, (new one comes out this Sunday) and it showed a price of $299.99 on 2yr upgrade. So idk wtf that is about.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Yeah I've seen them charge upwards of $1,000 for off contract smartphones. They've been doing this for years. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the recent vzw pricing trend has been $579, so this is a $30 increase. With Washington sales tax tacked on, it will be $670