Which will kill the battery faster, leaving 4G on all the time or Wifi?

durangojim#AC

Banned
Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm fortunate to live and work in areas entirely covered by 4G, so I'd like to know which would make the battery last longer, using my work's wifi or leaving 4G on. Anyone know the answer?

far_star

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm fortunate to live and work in areas entirely covered by 4G, so I'd like to know which would make the battery last longer, using my work's wifi or leaving 4G on. Anyone know the answer?

I suspect that the 4G radio will be a greater draw on the battery. My friends evo works this way.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
4g no doubt will kill the battery faster. It will be a greater drain than 3g for sure and data over 3g is a bigger battery hog than wifi.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
i will compare a days use and check. oh wait. i dont freaking have one yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Since I have WiFi @ work and home, I'll probably leave the 4G radio off unless I need it, it only takes a second to turn on via widget, right?

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't matter what I have on or not... the battery seem to drain the same way. So, I just used 4g... since it's what the phone is all about.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Since I have WiFi @ work and home, I'll probably leave the 4G radio off unless I need it, it only takes a second to turn on via widget, right?

The phone will default to Wifi so you won't need to disable your 4G. Once connected to Wifi it won't matter if your 4G is on or not it will use the same amount of battery. Wifi uses less battery because once your connected your phone stops looking for stronger radio signal.

rigorx

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I can say with 100% certainty that for both my own and my wife's phone, the 3G radio definitely drains the battery faster than the Wi-Fi radio. My wife works in an area where the 3G strength was a bit weaker, and it was killing her battery at nearly twice the rate of mine. We both now just leave 3G off unless we need it. I'm going to assume 4G radio will be the same way, but who knows what those engineers may have figured out regarding 4G battery drain.

shaddix

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I thought that the frequency 4G LTE operated on was more efficient and power saving than 3G?

It is, and the technical stuff that doesn't make any sense to me apparently gives LTE more power savings over EVDO as well, regardless of the frequency. It's unfortunate that calls will still be placed over 3g, otherwise it would be best to disable the 3g and use 4g only. Though I suppose if you used google voice and sipdroid and pbxes you could use voip and have 3g disabled. I just don't like the lag when i tried it out.

Yeah of course wifi uses less power, the signal only goes several hundred feet, much better on battery than having to transmit miles to a tower

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
LTE is one of the big things the drew me to this phone, but it's also something I'm a little worried about. I talked to my boss the other day and he was telling me that his LTE usb modem is blazing fast but it kills his battery. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Reactions: Secretagnt

Secretagnt

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
LTE is one of the big things the drew me to this phone, but it's also something I'm a little worried about. I talked to my boss the other day and he was telling me that his LTE usb modem is blazing fast but it kills his battery. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Thanks for the heads up on this one .... appreciate it ....

SA

equus

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
No matter what, I think today's smartphones are battery hogs. That said, we as consumers demand the latest and greatest in a very compact form and shape and complain when the battery konks out :-! Device manufacturers donot want to install a hefty battery cause then that would be admission of guilt that their device is a battery hog :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol