Look what I found in my mailbox...

Spartan616

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
No, I didn't get some special pre-release of the TB (although that would be sweet, and I'm sure some of you would hunt me down to steal it :p) But I found a spread for the Thunderbolt in my Feb. 25th issue of Entertainment Weekly. Surprisingly where it shows the Verizon logo, it reads "Available at Verizon (logo) and Best Buy (logo)" does this mean it's out now or maybe next week? Perhaps a 21st or (most likely) 24th release date is true, if not at least within the month. I'm super stoked about the TB!!!

P.S. I apologize for the low quality pics but I don't even have a camera, so I just used my laptop's webcam and used picnik to switch the images.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the pics. While they don't prove anything it does appear that they are gearing up for release.

R

Bwangster12

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I think the "available at..." part is a bigger signal then some might give it credit for. Being in marketing myself, they could easily say "Coming Soon, soon to be available..." something along those lines. Because of this, they are going to get a lot of people calling and going to the stores saying "you say its available, where is it." More than they already are that is.

Spartan616

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
I think the "available at..." part is a bigger signal then some might give it credit for. Being in marketing myself, they could easily say "Coming Soon, soon to be available..." something along those lines. Because of this, they are going to get a lot of people calling and going to the stores saying "you say its available, where is it." More than they already are that is.

Thank you, this is exactly why I was so excited, if the rumors of a March or even Q2 release was remotely true, then they probably would say "coming soon" but since it says "Available" it only makes me hope that it comes out on the 21st (at least for pre-orderers, since I already preordered mine.)

Slapnpop826

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

That is the same thinking I had about the recent best buy ad. By not including "coming soon" you give the impression that it will be available at some point during the week.

Ricom1

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Anyone have an idea how early ads are purchased and the difficulty in changing them after artwork is delivered? I don't...just beind the devil's advocate. VZW could have bought this earlier with the anticipation of releasing it by the end of the month...key word being anticipation.

But I have no idea what the process for major advertising is...they may be able to pull it relatively easy (or change it).

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
This is an HTC ad though, right? HTC might have paid for this advertising a long time ago with word from Verizon at the time that launch would be mid-Feb.

In January, I told myself I would wait a couple weeks after the phone came out to read reviews and such before buying this phone. But now that I've been reading so much here, I've hyped myself up and don't know if I'll be able to resist buying it whenever it does finally get released.

froader

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
The ad obviously means it's available to purchase at those stores.

It shows that they had a target date that's been missed.

Bwangster12

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
While I think its significant that the ad says "available," it doesn't guarantee that its coming out next week. I mean, it could have been scheduled to and was delayed, as we've read.

Again, being in marketing, it is a major PITA to recall ads or stop ads from printing at the last minute. You are going to just lose that money 99% of the time if a change has to be made. Most of the time, the company will just pull the ads, and lose the money. So, knowing that can be done, and Verizon decided to go ahead and print these ads anyway... is encouraging.

Spartan616

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
The ad obviously means it's available to purchase at those stores.

It shows that they had a target date that's been missed.

how can it be missed? I found it in the Feb. 25th issue of EW. Sure I obviously got it before that, but most companies send out magazines a week or month (depending on publication, I guess) in advance of the written release date, which most subscribers, like myself, get in advance.

Bobman

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Anyone have an idea how early ads are purchased and the difficulty in changing them after artwork is delivered? I don't...just beind the devil's advocate. VZW could have bought this earlier with the anticipation of releasing it by the end of the month...key word being anticipation.

But I have no idea what the process for major advertising is...they may be able to pull it relatively easy (or change it).

This is what I'm thinking. It says "available at" because it was SUPPOSED to have been available by the release of this publication, but it was delayed and the advertising couldn't be be changed.

Bwangster12

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Advertising may not have been able to be changed, but they could have easily pulled it.

Either they decided not to pull it, cause it really might be coming out OR they found the ads to not be that misleading enough. They just say "available at VZW and BB." I mean, they don't say WHEN they are available.

I know I've been part of ads that we decided to send out even though changes needed to be made. Sometimes you make a call and decide if people will be mislead or not.

froader

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
how can it be missed? I found it in the Feb. 25th issue of EW. Sure I obviously got it before that, but most companies send out magazines a week or month (depending on publication, I guess) in advance of the written release date, which most subscribers, like myself, get in advance.

Answer.

This is what I'm thinking. It says "available at" because it was SUPPOSED to have been available by the release of this publication, but it was delayed and the advertising couldn't be be changed.
Or pulled - once printed!

As much as I am feeling impatient about the release of this phone - it kind of makes me laugh at all the speculation going on. There are no facts and everybody is getting themselves worked up!
It would be comforting if VZW could give us some info. They just went through releasing the iPhone and made sure everyone knew well ahead of time.

Reactions: Bobman

thedeceiver

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Advertising may not have been able to be changed, but they could have easily pulled it.

Either they decided not to pull it, cause it really might be coming out OR they found the ads to not be that misleading enough. They just say "available at VZW and BB." I mean, they don't say WHEN they are available.

I know I've been part of ads that we decided to send out even though changes needed to be made. Sometimes you make a call and decide if people will be mislead or not.

And if it's for the week of the 25th, then it would make sense that it would say it's Available because if the date is the 24th, then it'll be accurate.

I agree with the thinking on the marketing. Sometimes you roll with it even if it's not accurate if it's not a material issue. I think the fact that you're saying something is available, yet is not, is a material issue and if I were the decision maker, I would have pulled it unless I was sure that the release would be IMMINENT after publication.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
dont forget there was a full 2 page spread for the merge in...............NOVEMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! where is that phone? i think VZW has got a big cluster **** going on their right now. the right hand hand doesnt know what the left is doing. they need to get some execs who know what the **** they're doing.

Spartan616

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
dont forget there was a full 2 page spread for the merge in...............NOVEMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! where is that phone? i think VZW has got a big cluster **** going on their right now. the right hand hand doesnt know what the left is doing. they need to get some execs who know what the **** they're doing.

But that just said "Exclusively at Verizon" which is very true (although the Alltel reports could make it false) but it never said "Available at Verizon" thereby confirming that it's been released or that they at least plan on releasing very soon.

I feel sorry for you buddy I really do, I once was in love with the Merge, but it was too much of a tease so I decided to get something better to shove it in it's face. It broke my heart, now it's my time to break hers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma