SKYPE will be available on TB.

Aspdmouse

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I was in Verizon today asking about a backup phone so I can have something that works until the TB is released. i Talked to a Manger there asking about SKYPE and if the rumors hold truth to SKYPE not being released with the TB. He has this to say

" I don't know where you are getting your information from but as of 2 day's ago my reps and I were trained on the TB and SKYPE was available on the phones. So don't believe everything you here SKYPE will be on the TB upon release I grantee it."

Now I understand this in itself is "Here Say" but upon further review I called several stores in my area and asked the managers if they were training on TB all 5 stores I called had been training on the TB and all verified SKYPE was on the phone.

So unless Verizon plans on pulling the plug on SKYPE in the next week or 2 before it hits I would say its safe to say SKYPE is available on the TB..

*cheers* :)

Aspdmouse

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Also to back this claim up watching wirefly 2nd part on youtube when he presses the menu bar you can clearly see SKYPE on the phone in applications.

YouTube - HTC ThunderBolt Review - Part 2

Now it is possible they have removed since the video was released but seeing as Verizon reps are training with it already and they claim its there Its just one more reason to believe it will be there on release.

pnicho

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Also to back this claim up watching wirefly 2nd part on youtube when he presses the menu bar you can clearly see SKYPE on the phone in applications.

Now it is possible they have removed since the video was released but seeing as Verizon reps are training with it already and they claim its there Its just one more reason to believe it will be there on release.

This article says otherwise...
Skype No Longer Ready for HTC Thunderbolt Launch? - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

thedeceiver

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

That icon is just a link to it in the Marketplace. It doesn't do anything. It doesn't launch Skype, there is no Skype code... it's simply a placeholder/shell app that will allow you to be notified when Skype is fully available.

It may be on the phone at launch or it may not.

Either way, get rid of Skype if it's holding up the phone. Skype can come later.

FatalErrorz

Banned
Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
(I'm on Sprint and have an Evo) My wife is getting a T-Bolt, and even if it doesn't come with Skype (which I'll download from the market when they release vchat) you guys can still use Qik, or Yahoo with the plugin which works on vchat. I use the Yahoo! one and talk to my kid over in Iraq using my phone. Faster on WiFi, but 3G works when I'm at work. Just sayin'...

Aspdmouse

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
That icon is just a link to it in the Marketplace. It doesn't do anything. It doesn't launch Skype, there is no Skype code... it's simply a placeholder/shell app that will allow you to be notified when Skype is fully available.

It may be on the phone at launch or it may not.

Either way, get rid of Skype if it's holding up the phone. Skype can come later.

Be that as it may the reps at all the stores I called have been training on the new TB and all have said SKYPE is available on the TB. I don't know how reliable that article is about SKYPE, but if you have 5 stores total from Verizon wireless that are training on TB and without a doubt say SKYPE is on there i find it difficult to believe that it wont have it. Why would Verizon have there reps train on the phone and have them trained on SKYPE as well if it isn't going to launch with the TB? I can think of no reason any thoughts?

thedeceiver

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Be that as it may the reps at all the stores I called have been training on the new TB and all have said SKYPE is available on the TB. I don't know how reliable that article is about SKYPE, but if you have 5 stores total from Verizon wireless that are training on TB and without a doubt say SKYPE is on there i find it difficult to believe that it wont have it. Why would Verizon have there reps train on the phone and have them trained on SKYPE as well if it isn't going to launch with the TB? I can think of no reason any thoughts?

Think of how huge Verizon is. Assuming the emails about removing Skype from training materials is accurate, it came out just recently. Some VZW reps were already trained. First thing you do is take it out of training to stop the bleeding then the days leading up to the launch you communicate the changes since the users went through training.

You can't instantly correct the thinking of every rep, especially if they were already trained.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Aspdmouse

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Think of how huge Verizon is. Assuming the emails about removing Skype from training materials is accurate, it came out just recently. Some VZW reps were already trained. First thing you do is take it out of training to stop the bleeding then the days leading up to the launch you communicate the changes since the users went through training.

You can't instantly correct the thinking of every rep, especially if they were already trained.

So are you one of those who believe that source and think it will not launch?

thedeceiver

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
So are you one of those who believe that source and think it will not launch?

I am of the opinion that Verizon will launch the phone without it,yes. It will come out eventually and all will be well.

We have heard a couple of times that Skype has been problematic and now it just seems to be culminating.

FatalErrorz

Banned
Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

Think about this, too; how much "training" does someone need to use Skype? I use it on my puter and never attended a class...

thedeceiver

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Think about this, too; how much "training" does someone need to use Skype? I use it on my puter and never attended a class...

Remember its not just training on how to use it but what it can do and how to solve problems. So while its probably not a lot of training, it still is some.

FatalErrorz

Banned
Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Remember its not just training on how to use it but what it can do and how to solve problems. So while its probably not a lot of training, it still is some.

I'm not troubleshooting you by any means, so don't take this wrong either... But, when was the last time a phone salesman helped you out with a software problem on your phone? I usually know more about my phone than the salesperson before I walk in and buy it...(and I'm sure you do, too)