So the thunderbolt has a noise cancelling mic?

bberrynewbie84

Galaxy nexus!
Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Does that mean the thunderbolt will take better video then the evo and incredible? Basically what I mean,will the sound quality be better while taken video on the TB?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
In all likelihood, it should. Assuming the noise cancellation is also enabled during Video and not just on phone calls. Which I imagine it will.

MrMC7992

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
i don't get how that would make videos have better quality. it works for phone calls because it cancels background noise (obviously) and lets the phone focus on your speech that is going through the standard phone microphone. if it is a video, how is it going to know what sounds should be canceled and which should be heard more?

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
i don't get how that would make videos have better quality. it works for phone calls because it cancels background noise (obviously) and lets the phone focus on your speech that is going through the standard phone microphone. if it is a video, how is it going to know what sounds should be canceled and which should be heard more?

It's a software thing. My camera has noise cancellation built into it. It analyzes sound as it records it and muffs (cancels) sound it recognizes as unnecessary background noise, or in some cases can ease overbearing noises such as wind, cars, someone speaking directly into the mic, etc. It works quite well if it's been implemented, actually. Depending on how the software is designed, it can also prioritize sound based on intensity. If the person holding the camera is speaking, it can prioritize that audio and cancel out much of the background stuff.

A lot of this is software dependent, so it's going to depend on how HTC has implemented it.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Your Droid X has noise cancellation also. There's 3 microphones on your phone... one on the bottom front, another on the back side almost directly behind this one, and another on the top edge next to the headphones jack.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
It's a software thing. My camera has noise cancellation built into it. It analyzes sound as it records it and muffs (cancels) sound it recognizes as unnecessary background noise, or in some cases can ease overbearing noises such as wind, cars, someone speaking directly into the mic, etc. It works quite well if it's been implemented, actually.

The Droid X has this as well. From the reviews, it actually worked pretty well.

MrMC7992

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
It's a software thing. My camera has noise cancellation built into it. It analyzes sound as it records it and muffs (cancels) sound it recognizes as unnecessary background noise, or in some cases can ease overbearing noises such as wind, cars, someone speaking directly into the mic, etc. It works quite well if it's been implemented, actually. Depending on how the software is designed, it can also prioritize sound based on intensity. If the person holding the camera is speaking, it can prioritize that audio and cancel out much of the background stuff.

A lot of this is software dependent, so it's going to depend on how HTC has implemented it.

I guess I can see that making sense. Like you say, I'm sure it's all up to HTC on how they use it.