View Poll Results: Price changing your mind?
- 163. You may not vote on this poll
Yes, too much.
No, are you kidding? We've waited this long, I'll pay it.
Too soon to tell. Depends on how much longer we wait.
300 dollar price point: might it change your mind?
I know it's making me wonder, when you can get the Atrix for 130. Yeah I know they're not comparable in some ways, AT&T sucks, etc. But 300 is a chunk of change for hardware that most people recognize will be dated fast.
- 02-24-2011, 10:34 AM #2
- 699 Posts
- Infected Eternity/stock
If they had released it on the 11th like I was promised, or the 14th, I'd be fine. But 2 weeks is an eternity in the tech world, and I've obligated those funds else where at this point. I was expecting to only have to drop another $200 after my preorder, and my budget shows that.Thunderbolt Saga > Brett Favre Saga
- 02-24-2011, 10:35 AM #3
I'm cashing out for FULL retail price since I have no lines to upgrade until 2012.[Verizon] HTC Thunderbolt 4G LTE Rooted with S-OFF
Pick up date: [3.17.2011]
Recovery: [Clockwork 18.104.22.168]
ROM: [Das BAMF v1.5] Radio: [1.16.00.0402] Kernal: [22.214.171.124 BAMF 4.4.2]
- 02-24-2011, 10:40 AM #4
It depends on if this is Best Buy's price or Verizon's. If it's Verizon's I'll probably suck it up and pay it, but I'll have to end up using my mother's upgrade if there is another phone I'll want later in the year or early next year because the most I was willing to spend on a 1 year contract was $320. Now that the phone is $300 on a 2 year, I won't be getting a 1 year contract.
- 02-24-2011, 10:40 AM #5
- 02-24-2011, 10:41 AM #6
- 5 Posts
My big question is what will the Droid Bionic cost and when will it be released in relation to the TBolt. I've waited longer than I wanted to already and I hate my BB, but for $300 I'll probably wait at least a week until after the release to see how the TBolt actually performs and weight that against other phones.
- 02-24-2011, 10:44 AM #7Banned
- 344 Posts
I'd pay $400.00 but not any more; not because of budgeting concerns, but because of bang for the buck.
If $50.00 makes people alter their budgets, they don't need this smartphone. Actually, nobody "needs" a smart phone, they're just fun. Don't get mad, I'm just being real and any accountant would tell you the same thing.
- 02-24-2011, 10:45 AM #8
- 02-24-2011, 10:47 AM #9
The phone bill is in my name so it doesn't really matter, but my mom was cool with me getting the Thunderbolt and then giving it to her if there is another phone that I want when her upgrade comes in October.
- 02-24-2011, 10:47 AM #10
What other options are available? None...the bionic, but when is that being released. I can't really say until it's time to pull the trigger. If the bionic is there (even with Blur), I may go that route...depends on a few things but again...until it's actually time to pull the trigger, I can't say for sure.
- 02-24-2011, 10:50 AM #12
- 02-24-2011, 10:54 AM #13
Like I said in an earlier thread, unless AT&T is scrapping their LTE plans or pushing them back, the Atrix may be outdated even before the Thunderbolt.
- 02-24-2011, 10:54 AM #14
- 02-24-2011, 10:56 AM #15
- 02-24-2011, 10:56 AM #16
- 186 Posts
- 02-24-2011, 11:00 AM #17
- 1,190 Posts
- CNA 3.0/leanKernel 4.2.0
A selling price of $300 would be way too much for me. I didn't like the $250 price point either. Sure it's only another $50, and in the grand sense of one's total budget, that might not mean much. But, when looking at the cost of the phone itself, going from $250 to $300 is almost a 20% hike. That's huge. And I just don't think it's worth it, particularly when compared to other newly released phones.
- 02-24-2011, 11:02 AM #18
- 02-24-2011, 11:22 AM #19
- 02-24-2011, 11:23 AM #20
- 37 Posts
Overpriced != Overbudget
Is $300 a reasonable price for this phone? I don't think so. Can I afford it? Sure, but that's not the point. Compared to the other options: Atrix, Inspire, Evo 4G, etc., why is Thunderbolt, which isn't even available yet, worth more than $200 more (the similarly spec'ed Inspire is only $70 on Amazon)? On a cost-benefit comparative analysis, the TB fails at $300.
My prediction is that if Verizon launches the TB in March at $300, sales will be poor and it will soon be heavily discounted, even buy-one-get-one-free or near free at 3rd party retailers by April.
Since I planned on buying 2 TB's, I'm willing to wait a few extra weeks and save $300-$600 or I'll just stay with AT&T.
- 02-24-2011, 11:35 AM #21
YES!!! $300 for a handset on a 2 year agreement is NOT acceptable. $250 was pushing it! Lets face it, other than 4G, the handset does not break any new ground - no dual core (yes, I know we dont need it yet, but at this price point the phone should be future proof!), screen is nothing special, and pretty much same specs as the Inc otherwise. Take away the 3G and it coud easily have been a handset specd from a year ago.
The longer this takes to be released, the more I am just happy with my Incredible, and might just wait to use my upgrade until something truly worth it comes along.
The Thunderbolt is losing its luster quickly.
- 02-24-2011, 11:38 AM #22
- 109 Posts
Back to the OP poll, should've had an option for "No, my company is paying for it, so I don't care what the cost is."
- 02-24-2011, 11:39 AM #23
- 02-24-2011, 11:40 AM #24
- 02-24-2011, 11:40 AM #25