Since there's no skype

am4966

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
The reason there is no Skype is there is a problem with the Network. So I'm guessing that when its released Skype will be working.

If not then you will have a issue using those other programs too imo....

iLLusive

Vzw Staff
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Wait I'm so confused what do you mean no Skype there are two Apps for Skype alone on the market and Skype has the functions that are baked into the New Sense UI you can choose to "Skype Video Call" anyone who is capable of receiving the call through the contacts menu that was shown on youtube video preview?

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
The thing I like about skype and prefer it is because I have family and friends overseas that use skype on their computers etc. My bro (here in states) has vzw iphone4 and uses skype too (video chat on 3g), and he could possibly get the tango app but the rest of my family overseas doesn't have a portable device to install tango (or other) and I'm not sure they are available on pc like skype.

Stein357

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like there's not going to be Skype functionality built into the phone, when Skype Video is released for Android you'll be able to use it with the Thunderbolt's FFC.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
So wait.. We do know there is a high chance skype will not be baked into the phone BUT we do know there will for sure be a skype android app for video chat?

I used to have the skype app on my storm.. This was only for text msgs and voice calls. Did also work between my phone and family overseas on pc (again voice only).

So on vzw, currently is it only the iphone4 which can do video chat via skype?

iLLusive

Vzw Staff
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Where is this information that Skype isn't coming baked in? I mean I highly doubt they REDID whole Sense UI in a month time just for one phone? This is the HTC new post barely a month old verifying it has baked in Skype as a selling point for the phone and Verizon.

HTC Launches 3 new 4g smartphones
Unveiled today, HTC ThunderBolt on Verizon is one of the world’s first LTE smartphones, spearheading Verizon Wireless’ push into the world of 4G. Embedded deeply within the HTC Sense experience is Skype connectivity, allowing people to connect to other Skype users from virtually anywhere, and between mobile devices and from mobile to PC. This connectivity makes HTC ThunderBolt the ultimate device to connect by both voice and video, enabling the more than 100 million active Skype users to connect across networks and devices. With a 4.3 inch screen, front and rear cameras, integrated DLNA support, Qualcomm’s 1GHz Snapdragon™ processor and the latest version of HTC Sense, the HTC ThunderBolt is a cutting edge multimedia powerhouse.

colesl4w

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
there have been numerous reports about them having issues with it. Who knows, maybe due to the delays they'll get it on there, but theres a good chance it won't be on there right away.

am4966

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Maybe but this review was 10 days ago showing Skype active on the phone, but hey maybe they removed it and redid the Sense UI in 10 days. I just don't know if I buy into that right now, but could totally be possible.

YouTube - HTC ThunderBolt Review - Part 2

The thing is know one knows how old that phone is they used in that review....meaning it could have been one of the first phones out. The fella that got pics of the T-Bolt lastnight said that Skype was not there, but who knows.

Basic Skype will probably be on the phone, but Video Skype will be a add on since thats where the problem lie's with the network/Skype

DUSwimming08

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Anyone try any of the other video chat apps and get good results? I have tried Tango a few times and every time I get a loud screaching noise that you can't even hear the other person. Any help for a video chat app that works well on the TB would be great! Thanks.

Shygar

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I use Tango to video chat with an iPod 4th gen and have no issues. Would love to use Skype though when it comes out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae