Reconsidering the TB for a different phone? Here's a few comparisons.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
It seems like there's a lot of threads popping up from people that are comparing different phones, and second guessing the TB. The purpose of this thread is not to sway you one way or another, but to give you a quick glance of a few phones we have details on. We do not have enough data to include the LG or Samsung LTE phones at this point. First some talking points for a few of them. followed by comparison table. If there are any technical inaccuracies, that you notice, please let me know. The following points are not considered to be complete, in terms of describing each phone. Instead, they are features the carriers have been emphasizing:

TB-1.jpg

Thunderbolt:

• One of the world’s first 4G LTE Android smartphones.
  • 4G LTE speeds that are up to 10 times faster than current 3G speeds.
  • Video chat with other smart phones, tablets, or PCs.
  • The Adreno 205 GPU is 4x faster than Adreno 200 (HTC EVO/Incredible/Nexus One).
  • HTC Sense 2.0 with new features, including Fast Boot.
  • Built-in kickstand for easy media viewing.
  • Dolby and SRS surround sound.

Bionic:

• 4G LTE speeds that are up to 10 times faster than current 3G speeds.
  • Loads complex web pages 4 times faster and renders graphics 5 times faster than single-core processor devices.
  • Enjoy all the perks of Adobe Flash and HTML5 combined.
  • With the ability to video chat with other smart phones, tablets, or PCs, talk face-to-face from miles away.
  • The world’s first qHD (Quarter High Definition)
  • Dual-core processor.

Atrix:

• Connect ATRIX to an HDMI compatible monitor, HD TV or Motorola’s Laptop Dock or HD Docks accessories, and with the webtop application, you now have the freedom to surf the web with a full Mozilla Firefox browser and to access all of your files, emails, photos and movies on a larger screen in the office, on the road or at home.
  • Make and receive calls as you’re working within the webtop application.
  • The world’s first qHD (Quarter High Definition)
  • Fingerprint reader with recognition technology.
  • Dual-core processor.

Merge:

• The HTC Merge smartphone combines a full QWERTY slide-out keyboard
  • HTC's first Android-based CDMA world phone.

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Excellent, thank you. Do we know anything about the different Incredible S vs. Thunderbolt chipsets? What's the difference between the 8255 and 8655 chips?

Edit: the 8655 chipset in the 'Bolt seems to support both GSM and CDMA, but it just might not have the radios? That'd be a damned shame.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
If the Bionic gets released close to the same date as the TB.. it would be a tough choice. I kind of wanted to switch from motoblur even though I hear it has been revamped. I guess I could always sell the TB if I see the Bionic looks better when it gets released. Game Plan: ON :) TB now... if the Bionic is better.. TB sold.

itsdollar

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
The only one I would consider is the Bionic but I'm not sure about Motoblur since I never used it. I still think the Thunderbolt will be out soon with minimal issues and a later update for Skype.

Last edited:

optimum5

Jan 27, 2011
albert5x5.com
I didn't realize that the HTC Incredible S had a front facing camera. It's not going to be an LTE phone though right? So I guess it's the Thunderbolt or bust for the first half of this year for me.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
This far, the only thing that has even caused me to slightly raise an eyebrow is the Bionic, and even that I really have zero interest in. I'm certainly not switching away from Verizon either. So for now, it looks like I'm either sticking with my Fascinate or waiting out the Tbolt release.

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the info! I like how close the Tbolt and Incredible 2 are to each other. its def going to be a great none 4g alliterative to the Thunderbolt for those that dont want/need 4g at its outset.

Gives me alot to consider :/

DJBeanPole

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Dolby and SRS surround sound

Come on, really? Its a PHONE. Is that going to make THAT much of a difference? This isn't some home theatre system here. Its a tiny little phone that sits up on a kickstand and makes noise. I'm not sure I'm going to be BLOWN AWAY by the fact it has *gasp* SURROUND SOUND! And Dolby! Hoo boy! I'm gonna get up to 120db in a sealed room and the pressure is going to be chest thumping.

/rant

It just doesn't make sense to me. Slap "THX" on there and boomskies sales skyrocket.

lulz.

Effenhimer

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
If it keeps having problems, and it ends up being only a month or 2 between that and the Bionic coming out... FOR SURE will go with the Bionic, its gonna have a way longer life span as far as updates and support. I'm just impatient and want a new phone NOW and saw the TB had 768mgs of RAM, and a nice FF camera, figured that would tide me over until the next gen of phones start coming en mass.

AmousmosesMW

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I have heard (and after thinking about it, I have to agree) that having a 8MP camera does not necessarily mean the phone will take better quality pictures than a phone with let's say 5MP. Does anyone know how the quality of pictures with the TB are?

I do take alot of pictures with my cell phone so camera quality is an important feature to me and I want to make sure that I decide on a cell phone that meets my needs.

Do you have any comparisons of picture quality on current and future VZW Androids?

Thanks

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Come on, really? Its a PHONE. Is that going to make THAT much of a difference? This isn't some home theatre system here. Its a tiny little phone that sits up on a kickstand and makes noise. I'm not sure I'm going to be BLOWN AWAY by the fact it has *gasp* SURROUND SOUND! And Dolby! Hoo boy! I'm gonna get up to 120db in a sealed room and the pressure is going to be chest thumping.

/rant

It just doesn't make sense to me. Slap "THX" on there and boomskies sales skyrocket.

lulz.

It makes it sound better though headphones, it's not even something you can turn on unless you're using them. It just gives the illusion of more dimension to the audio. Nothing groundbreaking, it's been on a lot of devices for a while, they just felt like advertising it here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze