Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 74
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default IF the 'BOLT ends up with battery life similar to or slightly worse than an EVO...

    will this deter you from a purchase?

    not sure how i feel about a phone that won't last a day without a charge. that said, i do tend to keep my phone plugged in at work and in the car. would just be a travel issue for me.
  2. #2  
    prakash99's Avatar

    Posts
    1,614 Posts
    ROM
    GummyNex 0.3.8

    Default

    NO! At the rate I normally use a phone, no smartphone currently available has enough juice to last me a day without recharging. That is why I always (almost always) carry a spare battery.
    But hey, that's just me. I am not saying everyone should do it. I'm just saying that is what I do.
  3. #3  
    brandonx1000's Avatar
    rule the air.

    Posts
    901 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,261 Global Posts

    Default

    no way, i carry a Droid Pro for work and a Fascinate for personal...battery life isn't an issue since i carry a backup
  4. #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackmannx View Post
    The thunderbolt does not have terrible battery life.. Using a standard battery life expectation when dealing with an LTE modems in a mobile phone is not fair.

    You are speaking of a device that when I did a speed test this am i am getting 21Mbs down... thats faster then some cable modems. So the fact that it drinks deeply out of the juice pack should be expected.

    Do not let the reports from "insiders" sway your thoughts.. the device is quite good we just need battery tech to take it to the next level...

    The Panda...

    i think blog sites are just screaming for info to report. rumors are rumors. ill go with panda.
  5. #5  

    Default

    nope, i always buy an extended battery.
  6. #6  
    spooluptheFTL's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    70 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I am Fake Jesus View Post
    i think blog sites are just screaming for info to report. rumors are rumors. ill go with panda.
    Forgive me for asking, but has he ever been a reliable source for inside info? I only ask because I haven't been around here too long, and the only info I've ever seen coming out of him is unspecific innuendo.

    When the Engadget story broke he tweeted "I find it ****ing hilarious that I have been saying that the bolt has battery life issues and no one believes till @Engadget says it?" when he never said anything of the sort.
  7. #7  

    Default

    from my understanding, he is a tester for verizon. he is a great insider, he has been sayin the battery life is good.
  8. #8  
    moosc's Avatar
    Grand Master Moosc

    Posts
    3,537 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

    Default

    its HTC what do you expect! HTC doesn't know what battery management is.

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...
  9. #9  

    Default

    Yes. Not only is it not a product competitive with the iPhone, but it's also a major hassle to have to worry about battery constantly. It's a mobile phone, not one that needs to be physically anchored every 6-8 hours. And yes, I'm sure you can spin out stories of how most days you're at your desk and then car etc.. that's not the point. The point is it's possible now to make a phone that lasts. Both the iPhone and the Atrix have shown that. And they're both cheaper than the Thunderbolt.
  10. #10  

    Default

    well my iphone 3g makes it all day till i sleep usually. i rarely use it tho. but if the phone can make it thru 8 hours ill be fine. ill have car charger, if an extended battery is needed ill get one

    my friends g2 lasts thru work an a lil more. hes on it all day. i no this is 2 totally differ phones
  11. #11  
    Chrisy's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,327 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,646 Global Posts

    Default

    Nope. Extended battery and new battery door for me.

    Heck, I charge my BlackBerry Tour 2-3 times a day.
  12. #12  

    Default

    5 days of work for me i dont use my phone much due to laptop an air card. but i also hate my current phone so this could change. new to android but i have been warned about battery life
  13. #13  
    Chrisy's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,327 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,646 Global Posts

    Default

    We have been warned. Just like I warn potential BlackBerry users about the crappy internet experience. Haa
  14. #14  
    Cyber Warrior's Avatar
    Robots Will Kill

    Posts
    8,566 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

    Default

    My plan is the Seido 1600 extended battery... works with the stock battery door, combined with undervolting the CPU when the phone is idle.... that's if I notice bad battery drains... since I started using my Galaxy tab, I don't use my phone as often.
    Thanked by:
  15. #15  
    robrecht's Avatar
    Pretty good member

    Posts
    919 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
    Yes. Not only is it not a product competitive with the iPhone, but it's also a major hassle to have to worry about battery constantly. It's a mobile phone, not one that needs to be physically anchored every 6-8 hours. And yes, I'm sure you can spin out stories of how most days you're at your desk and then car etc.. that's not the point. The point is it's possible now to make a phone that lasts. Both the iPhone and the Atrix have shown that. And they're both cheaper than the Thunderbolt.
    The iPhone is not cheaper than the Thunderbolt. It has a considerably smaller screen and is not 4G (which contribute to its battery life), so you're right that it is not competitive with the Bolt.
  16. #16  
    robrecht's Avatar
    Pretty good member

    Posts
    919 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prakash99 View Post
    NO! At the rate I normally use a phone, no smartphone currently available has enough juice to last me a day without recharging. That is why I always (almost always) carry a spare battery.
    But hey, that's just me. I am not saying everyone should do it. I'm just saying that is what I do.
    With my last few smartphones, I typically carry two spare batteries, and sometimes at least one of those spares is an exteneded life battery. I travel a lot so I buy a lot of batteries. I like my screen bright, too, for my tired old eyes!
  17. #17  
    Forgetful's Avatar
    Energy hoarder

    Posts
    1,463 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,473 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock rooted

    Default

    From what I've read, using some simple battery saving tips will make the EVO last all day no problem with moderate usage.
  18. #18  

    Default

    I have no problem with battery consumption anymore. Three batteries, two chargers, and a charging dock. Voila.
  19. #19  

    Default

    Not so much of an issue for me either. I currently have to recharge my TouchPro during the day at work, so it would not be any different with the TBolt if need be. I know these superphones just eat their batteries.
  20. #20  

    Default

    The TB should have a much better battery life than the Evo 4G. Why?

    The Snapdragon in the TB uses a newer 45nm manufacturing process (called "2nd gen") as opposed to the earlier 65nm 1s gen process for the Evo 4G Snapdragon variant. They are both identical 1GHz clock speed chips.

    Comparing equivalent Snapdragons in that entire line up of chips between the 45/65 process, Qualcomm stated that change provides a 30% lower dynamic power consumption and a much lower standby power as well. The battery capacity reduction from Evo 4G to Thunderbolt is only about 7%. This should guarantee an overall longer times between charges with the TB (of course under identical use). The screen is probably one of the biggest consumers of battery power but the TB and Evo have the same screen. The improvement to the processor should be the dominat factor comparing the two.

    Adding an aftermarket higher capacity battery of course will also help.

    Now that being said the Evo 4G battery life is pretty bad.
  21. #21  

    Default

    It'll definitely deter me. Coming from the Evo im NOT going through that again. I'm sorry but I just think its ridiculous to have to carry around extra batteries, chargers everywhere you go just to be able to keep your phone on all day. I'm not dealing with that again, no sir.
  22. #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful View Post
    From what I've read, using some simple battery saving tips will make the EVO last all day no problem with moderate usage.
    Take it from me, most of that is BS. The ONLY thing that makes it possible is rooting the phone, flashing a modified kernel and keeping literally all of the things that make the phone a smartphone off. All of those people that talk about getting two days battery life out of the Evo I can guarantee you they barely even use the phone. I have to keep Tango off, yahoo off, qik off, 4G off, etc. If I were to actually USE half the features of the phone during the day it'd be dead in a matter of a few hours.

    The SBC kernels have been a god send, but there have been several people that reported that using them mucked up their phones so its risky. The main thing they say do is disable mobile data.. which basically means none of your apps or email update in the background until you turn the screen on. For a smart phone thats pretty wack.
  23. #23  
    FatalErrorz's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    344 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I am Fake Jesus View Post
    from my understanding, he is a tester for verizon. he is a great insider, he has been sayin the battery life is good.
    Wow, even HE says he's not a tester for Verizon...He also says the battery life is like all the other 3G phones of late, which means Evo-Like...He further says (and I'll quote it) "LTE drinks battery like a Hemi drinks gas".

    You must be one hell of an optimist.
  24. #24  
    FatalErrorz's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    344 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
    It'll definitely deter me. Coming from the Evo im NOT going through that again. I'm sorry but I just think its ridiculous to have to carry around extra batteries, chargers everywhere you go just to be able to keep your phone on all day. I'm not dealing with that again, no sir.
    If my job didn't give me the capability to charge at will, I agree, the Evo would suck, and I'd sure as hell stay away from the T-Bolt.
  25. #25  
    FatalErrorz's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    344 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
    Take it from me, most of that is BS. The ONLY thing that makes it possible is rooting the phone, flashing a modified kernel and keeping literally all of the things that make the phone a smartphone off. All of those people that talk about getting two days battery life out of the Evo I can guarantee you they barely even use the phone.
    ^ What he said.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions