HTC Thunderbolt and Icecream Sandwhich.

blizz419

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like many phones will skip straight from 2.2 to 2.4, much like many phones went from 1.6 to 2.1

and they have stated that 2.4 will also be Gingerbread, also note i read they said there sticking with ice cream without the sandwich for whatever they release after 2.4

anon(157335)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
If the incredible s and desire s are getting it, the thunderbolt will too.

How is VZW with regard to releasing OTA Android OS updates? Do they typically release them fairly quickly?

I know with my BB they wouldn't offer the OS updates for months after RIM released them.

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
How is VZW with regard to releasing OTA Android OS updates? Do they typically release them fairly quickly?

I know with my BB they wouldn't offer the OS updates for months after RIM released them.

It's not Verizon that makes the updates to the OS, it is the phone manufacturer.

HTC is usually the fastest at rolling out OTA updates to newer OS version as they accomplish this in an average of about 6 months after a phone's release, but sometimes sooner. Why does it take so long? Because they have to integrate their Sense layer on top of stock Android, which takes some time and quite a bit of code writing (Motorola and Samsung do the same with their Motoblur and TouchWiz layers, respectively)

But other manufacturers are much slower. Samsung is typically the slowest - some of their newer high-end phones (part of their Galaxy line) STILL don't even have Froyo!!

Once the manufacturer completes the OS update, they send it to the cell carrier (i.e. Verizon) so that they can run final tests on it before release

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
It's not Verizon that makes the updates to the OS, it is the phone manufacturer.

HTC is usually the fastest at rolling out OTA updates to newer OS version as they accomplish this in an average of about 6 months after a phone's release, but sometimes sooner. Why does it take so long? Because they have to integrate their Sense layer on top of stock Android, which takes some time and quite a bit of code writing (Motorola and Samsung do the same with their Motoblur and TouchWiz layers, respectively)

But other manufacturers are much slower. Samsung is typically the slowest - some of their newer high-end phones (part of their Galaxy line) STILL don't even have Froyo!!

Once the manufacturer completes the OS update, they send it to the cell carrier (i.e. Verizon) so that they can run final tests on it before release

Verizon has to test and authorize said update so they still control it. Samsung is doing the no-update thing intentionally to push people to buy their newer phones.