- 03-17-2011, 03:45 PM #26
- 370 Posts
- Aesthetics - Beautiful. Nicer aesthetically than the EVO or Inspire. Better than the Fascinate and Droid X as well. I'll give it a 9. It would be a 10 if it had the red camera ring and speaker grille of the Incredible
- Screen - Beautiful. Colors are neither muted nor oversaturated. Just right.
- Hardware - Looks and feels solid. Kickstand holds well in portrait, and I'm using an THICK third party cable.
- Phone - including bluetooth & speakerphone usage - Easy syncing. Stereo Bluetooth headphones are able to play/pause and scrub/skip tracks. Buletooth headset audio is equal to or better than any other phone I've used
- Overall User Interface (including HTC Sense) - Simple and intuitive. The only brand of phone on which I do not use Launcher Pro Plus and Beautiful widgets. Beats TouchWiz (duh), Blur (double duh) and iOS. The only stock portion I have replaced is messaging, for which I use Handcent.
- Widgets - Sense widgets are the best on Android, bar none. As someone said earlier, HTC Sense and the included widgets are what Vanilla Android should be.
- Signal quality (Compared to other devices) - I haven't used it enough to give an opinion, although downloading a couple of apps while out today seemed faster than my previous phones. I will have a better idea of this when I get to work tomorrow.
- GPS - Seems to work well... Again, I haven't used it enough to give a good opinion
- Social Networking - I love how seamlessly Sense integrates your facebook and Google contacts. The FriendStream widget is pricesless for keeping track of statuses and Tweets.
- Email/Calendar - Easier setup of an Exchange account than with Motorola products.
- Battery Life - Incomplete, although it DID last 5 hours on half a charge and at least 3 of those hours were spent downloading, talking, texting, changing settings, etc. Seems to be comparable to the Inspire, which got me through the day most days. Battery life can only get better with time (rooting and debloating)
- Performance - Buckle Up. It's the law!!!
- Media (music, movies, DLNA) - Not tested
- Keyboard's - spacebar is a little small. That said, I haven't had any problems, and I've yet to calibrate it (Make sure you do!)
- Camera (both still & video) - Not tested
- How the Thunderbolt compares to your previous smartphone (if applicable) - Beats the OG Droid, Droid X and Fascinate HANDS DOWN. Beats the Incredible on performance as well as the new Sense.
- Disappointments (if any) - None so far
- 03-17-2011, 04:25 PM #27
Why does this phone need 4G? I'm on 3G and its HOLY **** FAST. With my Eris I'd press a button, mill around a bit and then my page would almost be loaded. Now I blink and its there.
I sent my mom up to Verizon while I was at school cuz she's a doll, she got there 10 minutes after opening. There were 4 people in front of her for the Tbolt, a few came while she was waiting, and it just SWARMED when she finally got out.
- 03-17-2011, 04:44 PM #28
- 52 Posts
overall i am thrilled with my 'bolt. it is JUST the right size and heft. the screen is gorgeous, it's scorching fast (even on 3g) and it is LOUD. which is sweet. my only issue is this... i dunno if it's because my battery is down too like 2% (draining it before recharging the battery) but the app page kind of has this odd vibrational stutter. will see if it does it on full charge but wondered if anyone else noticed this? it's sooooo smooth otherwise.
- 03-17-2011, 04:52 PM #29
- 03-17-2011, 04:55 PM #30
- 03-17-2011, 04:55 PM #31
- 03-17-2011, 05:08 PM #32
- 03-17-2011, 05:10 PM #33
- 03-17-2011, 05:27 PM #34
- 03-17-2011, 06:17 PM #35
- 03-17-2011, 06:54 PM #36
- 03-17-2011, 06:58 PM #37
- 03-17-2011, 07:03 PM #38
- 03-17-2011, 07:05 PM #39
- 03-17-2011, 07:07 PM #40
- 03-17-2011, 07:31 PM #41
- 03-17-2011, 07:53 PM #42
- 03-17-2011, 07:56 PM #43
- 03-17-2011, 08:15 PM #44
- 03-17-2011, 08:31 PM #45
Played with one in a vzw store(mine is in the mail) and first thing I notice was that it wasn't as heavy as I thought it would be. I think the Storm is heavier. Love the look and feel of it, and it was real snappy to say the least. My main concern is the battery life. Didn't find anything I didn't like about the phone while I was playing with it.
- 03-17-2011, 08:31 PM #46
BTW, the speaker phone is very good and very loud too.
- 03-17-2011, 08:34 PM #47
- 83 Posts
Full Disclosure-I'm coming from a BB Storm 1 so I gatta say that this thing is blowing me away!
- Aesthetics- Very solid. Seems well built and very attractive.
- Screen- Bright (turned it down to save battery), vivid, little hard to see in bright sunlight but its manageable. Could be because I turned the brightness down.
- Hardware- Well built. Seems like it could withstand several drops. (Not that I'm gonna drop it).
- Phone - including bluetooth & speakerphone usage-No bluetooth usage. Phone call quality is very good. The other end doesn't hear background noise.
- Overall User Interface (including HTC Sense)-Love Sense! Also, I downloaded a free thunderstorm live wallpaper that looks great. There is a paid version that lets you adjust the settings but the free version is doing what I need it to.
- Widgets- I'm using News, contact, friendstream, bookmarks, and a tip calcualtor. I also have several small widgets on a settings screen where I can turn on/off various functions and monitor the battery percentage. Its nice to do this stuff from the main menu rather than opening several different apps.
- Signal quality (Compared to other devices)- Its hard to tell. My Storm was slow no matter how my signal was. 4g is really quick though.
- GPS- Tried to use the Navigator app and it just says "Checking Navigation Availability. My Garmin GPS has difficulties until I get closer to St. Louis so I'm not sure if this is a fault of the phone or not.
- Social Networking- Love the friend feed widget. Also downloaded the standard FB app for extended capabilities. Uploaded a few pics online without problem.
- Email/Calendar- Email works great now that I got all my contacts in.
- Battery Life- Not sure yet. Still haven't given this thing a full charge.
- Performance- All I can say is FAST!
- Media (music, movies, DLNA) Loading music on there right now actually.
- Keyboard's- Roomy! I'm no longer misstyping every other word.
- Camera (both still & video)- Seems good enough for a camera phone.
- How the Thunderbolt compares to your previous smartphone (if applicable)- NO comparison. This thing blows the Storm away.
- Disappointments (if any)- none yet
- 03-17-2011, 08:38 PM #48
- 03-17-2011, 08:41 PM #49
Well.. My Impressions, coming from a Droid Original.. The phone is decent build quality.. The only concern I have is the Power/wake button. Mine is hard to press..almost like it's too Shallow and I really have to push it to get it to power on/off etc. Not sure if that's just mine or the design.
Still trying to figure out sense.. All I want is the thing to Autorotate in CAR MODE in the Retail VZ Dock. Can it do that? Right now i have to unlock it sideways ...scroll through my Icons Sideways..till I find my third party Car Dock I used for my Droid.. Any Tips here..???
Speaker seems ok.. my Droid was too quiet for media..this seems a bit better. I was able to get away with having my GPS on the Droid all the time.. but this one probably will have to have everything off to avoid battery death..
Looking forward to ROM Goodness on this beast as i see it's already been Rooted.. So it's a Hardware playground..
- 03-17-2011, 08:50 PM #50