Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

• Aesthetics - Beautiful. Nicer aesthetically than the EVO or Inspire. Better than the Fascinate and Droid X as well. I'll give it a 9. It would be a 10 if it had the red camera ring and speaker grille of the Incredible
    • Screen - Beautiful. Colors are neither muted nor oversaturated. Just right.
    • Hardware - Looks and feels solid. Kickstand holds well in portrait, and I'm using an THICK third party cable.
    • Phone - including bluetooth & speakerphone usage - Easy syncing. Stereo Bluetooth headphones are able to play/pause and scrub/skip tracks. Buletooth headset audio is equal to or better than any other phone I've used
    • Overall User Interface (including HTC Sense) - Simple and intuitive. The only brand of phone on which I do not use Launcher Pro Plus and Beautiful widgets. Beats TouchWiz (duh), Blur (double duh) and iOS. The only stock portion I have replaced is messaging, for which I use Handcent.
    • Widgets - Sense widgets are the best on Android, bar none. As someone said earlier, HTC Sense and the included widgets are what Vanilla Android should be.
    • Signal quality (Compared to other devices) - I haven't used it enough to give an opinion, although downloading a couple of apps while out today seemed faster than my previous phones. I will have a better idea of this when I get to work tomorrow.
    • GPS - Seems to work well... Again, I haven't used it enough to give a good opinion
    • Social Networking - I love how seamlessly Sense integrates your facebook and Google contacts. The FriendStream widget is pricesless for keeping track of statuses and Tweets.
    • Email/Calendar - Easier setup of an Exchange account than with Motorola products.
    • Battery Life - Incomplete, although it DID last 5 hours on half a charge and at least 3 of those hours were spent downloading, talking, texting, changing settings, etc. Seems to be comparable to the Inspire, which got me through the day most days. Battery life can only get better with time (rooting and debloating)
    • Performance - Buckle Up. It's the law!!!
    • Media (music, movies, DLNA) - Not tested
    • Keyboard's - spacebar is a little small. That said, I haven't had any problems, and I've yet to calibrate it (Make sure you do!)
    • Camera (both still & video) - Not tested
    • How the Thunderbolt compares to your previous smartphone (if applicable) - Beats the OG Droid, Droid X and Fascinate HANDS DOWN. Beats the Incredible on performance as well as the new Sense.
    • Disappointments (if any) - None so far

Why does this phone need 4G? I'm on 3G and its HOLY **** FAST. With my Eris I'd press a button, mill around a bit and then my page would almost be loaded. Now I blink and its there.

I sent my mom up to Verizon while I was at school cuz she's a doll, she got there 10 minutes after opening. There were 4 people in front of her for the Tbolt, a few came while she was waiting, and it just SWARMED when she finally got out.

overall i am thrilled with my 'bolt. it is JUST the right size and heft. the screen is gorgeous, it's scorching fast (even on 3g) and it is LOUD. which is sweet. my only issue is this... i dunno if it's because my battery is down too like 2% (draining it before recharging the battery) but the app page kind of has this odd vibrational stutter. will see if it does it on full charge but wondered if anyone else noticed this? it's sooooo smooth otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by TDizzleFoRizzle View Post
    Call audio on mine is disappointing. I've only made a couple of calls but its kinda scratchy/blown speaker sounding. Am I the only one? If so I may go swap it out. I'm coming from BB so maybe this is just normal for htc?
    I've experienced the same thing. At first I thought it might be the signal but I plugged in headphones and the scratchiness disappeared. I'll try it some more later tonight.

ROM
    Stock/Franco

the loading window that says Activation may take up to 2 min. is really nice!

speaking of battery, my thunderbolt has been at below 2% for a LONG time. i jsut played a game of rock band thinking it'd rain it but it's still trucking. wifi is on as well.

Global Posts
    469 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joelist View Post
    Aesthetics - Very good. Does not feel as large as it really is. Lighter than my Droid X. Metal body with nice grip. Kickstand works great and has extra speaker behind it.

Screen - Gorgeous screen. A bit brighter than my Droid X and rather brighter my brother iPhone 4. COLORFUL! The colors are really nice and not oversaturated.

Hardware - Fit and finish is outstanding (this is typical for HTC - it is a hallmark of theirs). Camera pictures are great (much sharper again than my Droid X or brothers iPhone 4). Sound is really good - this phone works really well AS A PHONE.

Overall User Interface (including HTC Sense) - Sense has been for a long time the best Android implementation by far. It still is. Everything responds smoothly with no choppiness (like I had in the Droid X). Very intuitive and Exchange email support is even stronger then before (simplified setup). Remember HTC licensed ActiveSync and baked it into Sense.
    Really Sense has to be fully explored to be appreciated. There are a lot of new features in this version of Sense. For example, Screen customization now has Wallpapers, Scenes (a way to build and store your own custom environments for different situations) and skins (you can reskin the HTC elements too).

Signal quality (Compared to other devices) - LTE is fast, fast, fast! And signal strength across the board is better - building penetration also seems improved.

Email/Calendar - As mentioned earlier, HTC email is probably the best Android email out there not named Touchdown. The calendar is also good, and does sync with Exchange (part of the Active Sync goodness).

Battery Life - Too early to tell.

Performance - Very smooth. Speed is one thing (and this phone is very fast) but smoothness is important in the user experience. And that smoothness comes from not just the hardware but - again - Sense.

Disappointments (if any) - Again time will tell. First impression is excellent.

Agree on screen.not in the same league as the x screen or iPhone screen but no a total pos.

Global Posts
    469 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mlf80 View Post
    Hmmmmmm. You paid $599 right? I am just wondering if I wait a week if I might be able to get it cheaper on Ebay. But I don't really want to wait. I have a perfectly fine tour right now, but i am so tired of not being able to do anything on the internet.
    Waiting will surely yield savings. I can't imagine paying 400 plus for the TB.

Default Issues Adding Google Accounts

I'm so frustrated right now. Every time I try and add my gmail account it gives me a "can't establish a reliable connection to the server." error. Anyone else getting this? I can make phone calls and surf the web, but that's it.

Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    ROM
    Abeast v4

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisy View Post
    Mine charged fast!
    As much as I am excited about my Tbolt, I think I am more excited in the fact that you have one. I have been monitoring your posts for several months now.

Am I the only one that is surprised that the phone isn't really that heavy. coming from the Samsung Vibrant I thought this would be a brick in my hand.. really don't feel the weight and thats kudos to HTC making the back part feel great in your hand.

Global Posts
    522 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by laxguy1314 View Post
    I'm so frustrated right now. Every time I try and add my gmail account it gives me a "can't establish a reliable connection to the server." error. Anyone else getting this? I can make phone calls and surf the web, but that's it.
    I had that problem this morning when i got mine. It took about 8 times to go thru and then suddenly it went thru.

All my apps slowly reappeared (from what i had on my eris) as the day went by too. Really interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisy View Post
    Mine charged fast!
    Mine discharged fast. I have now figured out how to reduce the screen brightness.... This battery indicater is a bit general - I see there are some replacements that show percentage...

Quote Originally Posted by shocka View Post
    speaking of battery, my thunderbolt has been at below 2% for a LONG time. i jsut played a game of rock band thinking it'd rain it but it's still trucking. wifi is on as well.
    It shuts off a lot of stuff at around 15%, so it may be behaving better, but not doing some stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by SFGiants 2010 View Post
    First thing I did was dl speedtest from the market and I'm consistently getting 12 mbps down and 30! mbps up in downtown San Francisco
    There is some bug with the speedtest android app that is causing it to double or triple the uploads, but mine is faster than my wifi at times!!!

Global Posts
    469 Global Posts

Yes - Uploads appear to be of the Bogus variety.

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Joelist View Post
    Screen - Gorgeous screen. A bit brighter than my Droid X and rather brighter my brother iPhone 4. COLORFUL! The colors are really nice and not oversaturated.
    A reference to the AMOLED screens, I presume. I agree.

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by realitydigg View Post
    Mine discharged fast. I have now figured out how to reduce the screen brightness.... This battery indicater is a bit general - I see there are some replacements that show percentage...
    It shows percentage when it is on a charger. Just tap on the clock.

-Frank
    Last edited by FrankXS; 03-17-2011 at 07:26 PM.
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]
    Thanked by:
    DLyman 

What do you mean by voice quality is great...not tested yet?

The ONE thing that I'm wondering about, voice quality, evidently isn't being tested....Um, isn't this thing a PHONE?? lol

Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock IMM76D

Played with one in a vzw store(mine is in the mail) and first thing I notice was that it wasn't as heavy as I thought it would be. I think the Storm is heavier. Love the look and feel of it, and it was real snappy to say the least. My main concern is the battery life. Didn't find anything I didn't like about the phone while I was playing with it.
    Incredible
    Thunderbolt
    Nexus S 4G

If I've helped in any way, feel free to hit Thanks.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by dkjensen View Post
    What do you mean by voice quality is great...not tested yet?

The ONE thing that I'm wondering about, voice quality, evidently isn't being tested....Um, isn't this thing a PHONE?? lol
    Well, I'm coming from another HTC phone (Touch Pro2-Windows) but my sound is great! Very clear, very loud, not distorted, just plain great. But, that's what I expected from an HTC phone. My experience so far has been very good for sound on HTC phones.

BTW, the speaker phone is very good and very loud too.

-Frank

Full Disclosure-I'm coming from a BB Storm 1 so I gatta say that this thing is blowing me away!

• Aesthetics- Very solid. Seems well built and very attractive.
    • Screen- Bright (turned it down to save battery), vivid, little hard to see in bright sunlight but its manageable. Could be because I turned the brightness down.
    • Hardware- Well built. Seems like it could withstand several drops. (Not that I'm gonna drop it).
    • Phone - including bluetooth & speakerphone usage-No bluetooth usage. Phone call quality is very good. The other end doesn't hear background noise.
    • Overall User Interface (including HTC Sense)-Love Sense! Also, I downloaded a free thunderstorm live wallpaper that looks great. There is a paid version that lets you adjust the settings but the free version is doing what I need it to.
    • Widgets- I'm using News, contact, friendstream, bookmarks, and a tip calcualtor. I also have several small widgets on a settings screen where I can turn on/off various functions and monitor the battery percentage. Its nice to do this stuff from the main menu rather than opening several different apps.
    • Signal quality (Compared to other devices)- Its hard to tell. My Storm was slow no matter how my signal was. 4g is really quick though.
    • GPS- Tried to use the Navigator app and it just says "Checking Navigation Availability. My Garmin GPS has difficulties until I get closer to St. Louis so I'm not sure if this is a fault of the phone or not.
    • Social Networking- Love the friend feed widget. Also downloaded the standard FB app for extended capabilities. Uploaded a few pics online without problem.
    • Email/Calendar- Email works great now that I got all my contacts in.
    • Battery Life- Not sure yet. Still haven't given this thing a full charge.
    • Performance- All I can say is FAST!
    • Media (music, movies, DLNA) Loading music on there right now actually.
    • Keyboard's- Roomy! I'm no longer misstyping every other word.
    • Camera (both still & video)- Seems good enough for a camera phone.
    • How the Thunderbolt compares to your previous smartphone (if applicable)- NO comparison. This thing blows the Storm away.
    • Disappointments (if any)- none yet
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Nook Color running CM7

What's the deal with Google talk I can't figure out how to video chat with it there is no option anybody get it to work

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

Default Sense Newbie

Well.. My Impressions, coming from a Droid Original.. The phone is decent build quality.. The only concern I have is the Power/wake button. Mine is hard to press..almost like it's too Shallow and I really have to push it to get it to power on/off etc. Not sure if that's just mine or the design.
    Still trying to figure out sense.. All I want is the thing to Autorotate in CAR MODE in the Retail VZ Dock. Can it do that? Right now i have to unlock it sideways ...scroll through my Icons Sideways..till I find my third party Car Dock I used for my Droid.. Any Tips here..???
    Speaker seems ok.. my Droid was too quiet for media..this seems a bit better. I was able to get away with having my GPS on the Droid all the time.. but this one probably will have to have everything off to avoid battery death..

Looking forward to ROM Goodness on this beast as i see it's already been Rooted.. So it's a Hardware playground..
    Android monkey

ROM
    CM7

Quote Originally Posted by skipfreely View Post
    Looks like ncaa games will play in the browser booyah! Go UNC!
    GO HEELS!!!
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast