Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_is_Mike_is View Post
    Coming from Storm 1 as well.
    Since you are new to Android, take a look here for some helpful information:
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/gene...ps-tricks.html
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by tarund View Post
    " I have been monitoring your posts for several months now."

That's not creepy at all...
    LMBO. I was thinking the exact same thing.

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Puterguru View Post
    My first impressions,

I just did a factory reset on the phone after getting it yesterday.

It kept showing a weird phone # when I texted some people.
    I cannot click on a photo in my gallery, hit share and send to Picasa, it gives me an error every time.
    This morning I woke up late for work. I had two alarms set on the phone for 6:30 am and 7 am. The alarms never went off. When I looked at the phone it said 2:23 pm.
    I am in a heavy 4g area according to the Verizon map and I almost Never see 4g on this thing.
    I like how heavy and solid the phone feels. Hoping the reset I just did will fix some of these problems.
    I am having the same issues with Texts. They were fine last night, but this morning people are receiving texts from me with a weird number. Our computer person was here earlier to set up my work email on the phone and he seemed to think it was related to the network and not the phone. Has anyone else had this problem/fixed it?

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

I am apparently not receiving texts either. My texts were working earlier this morning.

Coming from Storm 1 as well.

Things I like:
    - Size, screen, weight.
    - Speed
    - Graphics
    - WiFi
    - Hot Spot (for iPad when not home)
    - Talk and surf and at the same time

Things I don't like:- touch screen... every time I handle this phone I "touch" something and it takes me to a different page or program. When I'm on the phone I like to keep tract of how long I've been talking or waiting. But I invariably "touch" something and the screen changes to somewhere else. I miss the click screen already, except for typing.

- Bed time alarm clock. The Storm had a "bed side" mode, where the clock was visible all night and would not ring or buzz for incoming calls or messages. This phone just goes dark and if I want to see what time it is I have to fumble in the dark to find and press the tiny power put-on. I haven't been able to set up my home or work email yet, so nothing buzzes at night - but I also can't get my messages.

- Advanced App killer, not sure I like this or hate this. It seems there is no other way to turn off some apps.and I wonder if they ever really turn off!. Pandora IS ALWAYS ON very time I "kill" the open aps, EVEN WHEN I DON'T TURN IT ON.

- There are tinges I don't like about the phone set up too, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

- The whole OS seems bit more confusing, again, this is my first Droid so I'm sure I will get used to it.

- Battery has been talked about, we'll see if it gets any better by the weekend. But charging it twice a day will get on my nerves.

- Now the part that people will hate. I will give this phone a 10 day try, but if it has too many compromises to fit my tastes, it will go back to the store and I will get an iPhone or wait for the Storm3.
    I am currently sitting on my Storm 1 and have been waiting for the TB for a while now. I have decided to wait and see how you guys react to it.

The question i have for you if you dont mind answering it is what would you do retrospectively now that you are several days into the flight of your TB, would you have still gone ahead and moved to the TB or would you have kept your Storm 1 and observed?

I am very interested in your reply, thank you in advance.

David

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Puterguru View Post
    My first impressions,

I just did a factory reset on the phone after getting it yesterday.

It kept showing a weird phone # when I texted some people.
    I cannot click on a photo in my gallery, hit share and send to Picasa, it gives me an error every time.
    This morning I woke up late for work. I had two alarms set on the phone for 6:30 am and 7 am. The alarms never went off. When I looked at the phone it said 2:23 pm.
    I am in a heavy 4g area according to the Verizon map and I almost Never see 4g on this thing.
    I like how heavy and solid the phone feels. Hoping the reset I just did will fix some of these problems.
    I pulled the battery and now texts are working just fine.

I would have waited for an active phone in the store and played with it first. I did play with the EVO last year, but this is a little different.

There are things about Droid OS that are either going to take some getting used to, or I just won't like. That happens with every new change.

I really like the bigger screen, the WiFi, the 4G and the Hot Spot - those were the selling points for me. Even if I decide to "keep" this phone, it's not like I will be keeping it forever. New and better phones are always coming.

If you have the patience to wait until Fall, then you will have more choices: Storm 3, iPhone 5, Bionic, and a few more. If you've had the Storm 1 from day 1 (like I did) I know it's hard to keep waiting, but my Storm worked just fine for what I used it the most - talking, texting and email.

The Thunderbolt is not even close to the "perfect" smartphone - it's very nice, but it is another "first" phone, just like the Storm 1 was. And those "first" phones come with problems.

Quote Originally Posted by dbermanmd View Post
    I am currently sitting on my Storm 1 and have been waiting for the TB for a while now. I have decided to wait and see how you guys react to it.

The question i have for you if you dont mind answering it is what would you do retrospectively now that you are several days into the flight of your TB, would you have still gone ahead and moved to the TB or would you have kept your Storm 1 and observed?

I am very interested in your reply, thank you in advance.

David

Mike_is_Mike_is is an unknown quantity at this point
    I would have waited for an active phone in the store and played with it first. I did play with the EVO last year, but this is a little different.

There are things about Droid OS that are either going to take some getting used to, or I just won't like. That happens with every new change.

I really like the bigger screen, the WiFi, the 4G and the Hot Spot - those were the selling points for me. Even if I decide to "keep" this phone, it's not like I will be keeping it forever. New and better phones are always coming.

If you have the patience to wait until Fall, then you will have more choices: Storm 3, iPhone 5, Bionic, and a few more. If you've had the Storm 1 from day 1 (like I did) I know it's hard to keep waiting, but my Storm worked just fine for what I used it the most - talking, texting and email.

The Thunderbolt is not even close to the "perfect" smartphone - it's very nice, but it is another "first" phone, just like the Storm 1 was. And those "first" phones come with problems.

No Canada
    Will not work with "Nationwide Plus Canada" plan. I talk about 500 min/month to Canada. It will now cost me $50/month more (or $600/year) for those calls. I'm not sure I can handle that. However, with an LTE speed of 19/23 (according to SpeedTest app), I might be willing to cut ties with Canada. ;-)

Even the VZW employees didn't realize it couldn't be activated on the 'Canada' plan until they tried. They thought I might be able to use Skype Paid Plan to make those calls, but Skype error states that it will only work on Wi-Fi. (Shouldn't they have known that?)

I will probably return it, this week.

Charging the Battery
    I charged my phone all night, and it only reached 50%. That can't be a good sign.

MicroUSB Connector location
    I would have preferred it to be on the other side so it could be charging, with the kickstand out, in either portrait or landscape.

Volume Rocker location
    I find myself constantly changing the volume when I handle the phone. If I keep it, I'll need to work on that.

Other than that, I'm blown away by all of this. It's my first smartphone that I've had, so everything is new and exciting! I've said good-bye to my wife and kids, as I expect this is where all of my attention will go from now on.
    Last edited by Aain; 03-18-2011 at 10:20 AM.
    Journeyman

ROM
    A

I wouldn't get another blackberry until the QNX devices come. The storm 3 and the bold touch are already outdated. The folks over at CB including myself have been waiting on a touch bold for years. But android beat them to the punch. 1 year later, BB finally brings it to us. That was one of the last straws for me. They're not innovative anymore, lol not to mention BBM is coming to all phones now.
    Follow me on Twitter: @SpaceHippieSays

OK. Now this phone won't play Pandora music on my Jawbone Era anymore, it just comes through the speakers. and there's no menu to witch it from headset to speaker (like on the Storm) - what am I missing?

Default Can anyone tell me the exhaustive list of pre-loaded apps on the Thunderbolt ?

Hi,

I live in a non 4G area, therefore I'm not sure the Thunderbolt will be of use for me.
    However, I'm sick of my Droid X, especially the battery life and Motorola UI.
    I want to know if the Thunderbolt is loaded with as many crapware as the Samsung Galaxy of Verizon.

I know it does not have Skype, but it has:
    - Blockbuster
    - VCast music
    - Flashlight app
    .... ?

Thanks for helping

Alex

Holy crap. I am totally new to Android and to a smartphone. Especially one that has this much technology. I am going to be needing lots of help from all of you. Sorry and thanks in advance!!

ROM
    BAMF Cubed!

This phone is awesome. Well except for the stupid battery.

I do have an issue though. The phone has randomly restarted itself 2 times since yesterday. Anyone else having that problem?

Here are the impressions I posted last night in another thread:

So far, 4G seems good when connected, but it has come and gone. I installed Swype but it already lost the ability to suggest words (which makes it useless). And it's been plugged in via USB to my computer most of the day, and has only gone up to 72% battery. Also, my friend called me once and it didn't ring... then he asked, "Can you hear me now?"
    Now my updates from the second day:

• 4G connection has stabilized... the coming and going only happened early on yesterday. I get 5-10 mbps in Chicago, and 15 mbps at home in the 'burbs.
    • Swype stopped recognizing words yesterday, and then stopped showing up altogether (only the default keyboard displayed). I had to open up the Swype Installer and re-enable Swype, but it seems to be working again.
    • The battery charges fairly slowly when connected via USB. It would probably be much faster if I plugged it into an AC outlet, or wasn't using the phone so much.
    • Adding to the missed call issue from yesterday, I made an extended call this morning. The quality was quite poor (choppy audio) and I was in a strong coverage area.
    • I downloaded ooVoo to use as a skype replacement for video chatting with a PC user. But when configured to use the front camera, it still uses the rear camera! That was a disappointment.
    • Given the kickstand design, I cannot believe they placed the USB port on the left side instead of the right. On a stupid decision scale of 1-10, this is an 8.5.

Does anyone know if there are cases w/ secondary backup batteries for the TB? I can only find a couple different cases, none of which with 2nd batteries. I would image we might soon see these. Just curious since the battery life seems to be an issue.

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts

If I were still Storm owner, use it as a bookend and grab a Droid. This battery stuff will improve as folks acclimate to the new device and we no longer have our screens running as we do now. I am pleased, but MY Sammy Fascinate did not have stellar battery either if I was on wifi and surfing, texting, calls.
    Will I return this phone? No, it is an improvement for reasons others have stated.

Quote Originally Posted by cgc2 View Post
    If I were still Storm owner, use it as a bookend and grab a Droid. This battery stuff will improve as folks acclimate to the new device and we no longer have our screens running as we do now. I am pleased, but MY Sammy Fascinate did not have stellar battery either if I was on wifi and surfing, texting, calls.
    Will I return this phone? No, it is an improvement for reasons others have stated.
    as a happy Storm 1 owner (true story) and a future Droid owner i am curious what you would recommend to use as the other end of the bookend opposite from the Storm, perhaps the Thunderbolt when its batter dies?

please accept my apologies in advance. I am probably going to pull the trigger tomorrow and give the TB a test drive. the majority of my day is spent in my office where i have very little need for any cellular device outside of its phone and texting function.

"Waking" this phone up is a pain. Clicking and holding that little button? I miss just clicking the screen on my Storm1. Surly they could have made something easier?

And the Time out choices on the screen - why the HUGE jump from 2 minutes to 10 minutes?!! How about a 5 minute? ..... or better still, how about letting US set the limit in one minute intervals AFTER the 2 minutes?

I know, I'm just a crackberry who likes to mitch and boan. :-)

"Waking" this phone up is a pain. Clicking and holding that little button? I miss just clicking the screen on my Storm1. Surly they could have made something easier?
    That's the problem with 4 capacitive buttons at the bottom instead of physical buttons...

I came from a storm 1 as well and it is basically the same as unlocking the storm. If you carry it in your pocket you lock your storm every time anyway.

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by mlf80 View Post
    I am trying to decide if I should bite the bullet and pay full price for it. I am not eligible for an upgrade until February 2012....but I really want it. If I add a line it's going to be $30 more a month and thats just crazy and not saving me any money. Anyone have any suggestions?

Add a line then find a old feature phone and activate it on the new line and pull the data package off. Then all you need is to pay the 10 a month for the extra line.
    Mediq91
    Motorola Droid Rooted
    Motorola Droid 2 Rooted
    Motorola Droid X Rooted
    Samsung Captivate 2 Rooted
    HTC Inspire
    Motorola Droid 2 Global Rooted
    Droid X Rooted
    Samsung Continum
    LG Genesis
    Samsung Fascinate
    Droid Incredible 2
    LG Revolution
    HTC Thunderbolt Rooted

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TitansJonne View Post
    I wouldn't get another blackberry until the QNX devices come. The storm 3 and the bold touch are already outdated. The folks over at CB including myself have been waiting on a touch bold for years. But android beat them to the punch. 1 year later, BB finally brings it to us. That was one of the last straws for me. They're not innovative anymore, lol not to mention BBM is coming to all phones now.
    +1 Buying a BB without but QNX and 4g is a waste of money. You pay the same amount for a phone that can only do messaging, maybe $50 more . I have had bb's for years and they just cant compete.

My experience thus far has not been good.

I do like the form factor, but the unit I had yesterday was "stuck" in 1x. Called tech support...45 minutes later got nowhere. Back to the store where they reprogrammed the SIM. Last night pulled the battery to swap memory cards, rebooted, and stuck in 1x again. Back to store. After 40 minutes I'm told there is something on the account causing an issue that will "clear out at midnight". Back to the store today. 2 hours later I walk out with a NEW phone because they never could get the "old" phone activated properly. They tried 2 different SIMs, etc.

While I do seem to be getting 3G signal now...and sometimes 4G (I'm in a 4G area), I was in a restaurant earlier. Had my Droid X and the Thunderbolt. Took out the Thunderbolt and that sucker was hot. Droid X was normal temp. Droid X holding a solid (albeit low bars) 3G signal. Thunderbolt is jumping from 1 to 2 to 0 bars and back and forth between 1X and 3G.

Bottom line...I don't think the Thunderbolt holds a signal as well as the Droid X.

I'm giving it the weekend to get it set up and put it through its paces, but I'm not feeling very warm and fuzzy about this phone.
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    419 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mediq91 View Post
    Add a line then find a old feature phone and activate it on the new line and pull the data package off. Then all you need is to pay the 10 a month for the extra line.
    You don't even have to have a phone on that line. If the Verizon rep has a clue he can just assign a dummy number to that line with no phone used on it at all. I've done that before but there are a lot of clueless reps out there, you'll need to find one that knows what to do or you can even try explaining it to him/her. You'll get the new line with a new number, then have them switch the phone to your old number and leave the new number as a dummy line.

R
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast