Best Browser for Thunderbolt

Raiders Fan 223

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
So I may be jumping the gun here as I know a release date hasn't even been given yet, but I (a soon to be first time droid owner) would like some opinions. I've been doing some research on the various browsers (opera mini, dolphin hd/mini, skyfire 3.0), and I'm trying to determine which would be best for me.

Basically, I'm wondering what would be the best fit for the Thunderbolt's 768 mb of Ram and 1gz processor. Will the "bigger" browsers (dolphin HD) run noticeably slower? Is there a certain feature on one that I shouldn't miss? Any opinions/past experiences that could help me in my decision?

Site note: How do pop-ups work on droids... do they just get opened in a new tab?

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
So I may be jumping the gun here as I know a release date hasn't even been given yet, but I (a soon to be first time droid owner) would like some opinions. I've been doing some research on the various browsers (opera mini, dolphin hd/mini, skyfire 3.0), and I'm trying to determine which would be best for me.

Basically, I'm wondering what would be the best fit for the Thunderbolt's 768 mb of Ram and 1gz processor. Will the "bigger" browsers (dolphin HD) run noticeably slower? Is there a certain feature on one that I shouldn't miss? Any opinions/past experiences that could help me in my decision?

Site note: How do pop-ups work on droids... do they just get opened in a new tab?

While the native browsers are pretty good, dolphin is a very good browser out there. dolphin mini and opera mini are good too if you like lite browsers. XScope browser has received very good reviews but I tried it and ummm.... let's say it did not live up to my expectations. Since it is a paid app, I felt I wasted my money on that one. Skyfire ... it is so-so. But not so bad. I personally use Miren browser most often. For my needs and purposes, it works the best for me. So I suggest you try all of these free browsers yourself and then be the judge yourself.

As for the tabs, yes they do open in a new tab

upz3

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Opera is the best I've used but I know for most it's different. You hit the nail on the head with the three you named. Those are the ones to try out and see which one you like the most.

INK

Banned
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
If I am not mistaken, this option is enabled by default. Right?

yes. But if you go through opera I would change the protocol to HTTP the default socket gives me troubles.

In fact I'm using opera right now to post this it gets two thumbs up.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Don't get me started about how much I love Dolphin HD. It's ran great on every phone prior to this, so performance will not be an issue. In fact it feels to me like it renders pages faster. All that said, HTC's stock browser is the best of the stock browsers I've used. And they are the only ones that bundle an email client that didn't make me curse like a sailor. These are a few of the benefits of having a phone running the Sense UI, that's been under development since 2005. Even if you don't care for their widgets and app drawer, and throw on LP, there are some huge benefits all throughout the phone because of Sense.

Nitros7

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Don't get me started about how much I love Dolphin HD. It's ran great on every phone prior to this, so performance will not be an issue. In fact it feels to me like it renders pages faster. All that said, HTC's stock browser is the best of the stock browsers I've used. And they are the only ones that bundle an email client that didn't make me curse like a sailor. These are a few of the benefits of having a phone running the Sense UI, that's been under development since 2005. Even if you don't care for their widgets and app drawer, and throw on LP, there are some huge benefits all throughout the phone because of Sense.

Hold the show!! Sense dose not use the stock Android browser? Can a Sense unit use the stock android browser? Not that I am anticipating strife with the Sense offering but I like options (and I have used the stock browser before and like it) but not to keen on after market browsers.

upz3

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
One thing a truly missed when I rooted my phone was losing that awesome pitch-to-zoom feature. Even on a slow Eris it was great. I can't wait to see what it can do on the Tbolt.

Mapex

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
Generally speaking it seems HTC's customizations of Android attempt to provide the same user-friendliness and idiot-proof design that the iOS possesses while retaining all the nitty gritty advanced things Android can unleash. Apparently HTC Desire series devices are to Android as the iPhone is to iOS in many countries outside of America, so it makes sense to me that HTC is ahead of the curve and a "safe bet" when compared to Motorola, LG, or Samsung, although I also have high hopes for the latter two companies in terms of home user-friendliness. Motorola may very well be taking the enterprise route with Android, hopefully being viable candidates against the Blackberry in corporate environments in the near future.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
So I'm use to using Firefox with Ad Block Plus and No Script. Is there an equivalent on a smartphone? Are the two add-ons necessary for a phone browser? Sorry if its a dumb question, never had or really used a smartphone before.

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
So I'm use to using Firefox with Ad Block Plus and No Script. Is there an equivalent on a smartphone? Are the two add-ons necessary for a phone browser? Sorry if its a dumb question, never had or really used a smartphone before.

You can get firefox mobile, which has support for add-ons, but it's still a pretty slow browser. I never had issues with ads on my fascinate, but that's also lacking flash, so I don't know.

KingChicago

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
IMO The current Firefox mobile browser isn't as good as it should be. Its getting there, but I have to echo what some of these other guys are saying, the Dolphin HD Browser is awesome. I love it, the bookmarks are easy to use, its fast, and it doesn't bog down your phone.

Mapex

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
IMO The current Firefox mobile browser isn't as good as it should be. Its getting there, but I have to echo what some of these other guys are saying, the Dolphin HD Browser is awesome. I love it, the bookmarks are easy to use, its fast, and it doesn't bog down your phone.

Do the bookmarks sync with your Gmail account?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez