What if the Revolution comes first?

Anon_Emus

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I think I would be tempted but would have to wait. I would rather have the TB with 8MP camera along with the other minor improvements...

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm more confident about the TB just because HTC has a better track record. I would certainly look at reviews if the Rev came out first but would almost certainly wait for TB or Bionic regardless.

The LG has a single LED flash instead of dual, which is not a big deal but is a minor difference.

It has 5mp instead of 8mp but honestly I think 5 is enough for 95% of people, more considering it's a phone camera. More pixels doesn't necessarily mean better pictures.

It allegedly has Bing instead of Google. Personally I don't want to be reminded of Microsoft, and it seems odd to Bing something made by Google, but I'm sure it works fine.

LG previously has not been considered one of the marquis manufacturers, residing a notch below the biggest big boys. They're stepping up now, but just have less of a track record of excellence. As Engadget put it when reviewing LG's other new phone, the Optimus 2X:

This is a landmark handset in more ways than one, however, as its presence on the market signals LG's first sincere foray into the Android high end. Although the company delivered two thoroughly competent devices for the platform with the Optimus S and T in 2010, they were the very definition of mid-range smartphones and the truth is that Samsung, HTC and Motorola were left to fight among themselves for the most demanding Android users' hard-earned rubles. So now that LG's joined their ranks, was the wait worth it?

The UI is supposedly closer to stock Android than others, which would seem to be a plus. But Engadget found the UI sluggish even on dual core and was not fond of the overall software implementation. It's not the same phone as the Revolution, obviously, but will those same issues bleed over into the Revolution? Dunno. From Engadget:

Reading the spec sheet, you'd expect lag on the Optimus 2X to be measured in flaps of a hummingbird's wings, but the mildly tweaked Android homescreens plod along in a fashion that's appreciably worse than what you'd get on the real Hummingbird devices, Samsung's Galaxy S variants. UI responsiveness on the 2X can be described as mediocre, which we find a mind-boggling development as the hardware is certainly fast enough.

...yet the best thing we can say about LG's treatment of the OS is that "it doesn't crash too often."

...Where we were left disappointed, however, was in the company's software execution. Neat little tweaks to Android's default interface failed to obscure the fact that the Optimus 2X is neither as responsive nor as stable as it should be. You might be able to rectify those flaws by installing one of the inevitable avalanche of custom ROMs that this device will benefit from, but we're here to review LG's own performance and we find the failure to deliver a reliable platform inexcusable.

...The Optimus 2X offers great, benchmark-elevating hardware, but can't earn our seal of approval until it gets its software kinks straightened out.

Mapex

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
The T-Bolt will be the first 4G LTE smartphone on VZW's network, period, even if it means waiting three years.

HTC made sure they would be the first 4G phone manufacturer on each and every network, and I bet the carriers complied.

Another sneaky panda hit-and-run
:eek:

Well, it's not unexpected, given his user name.

I kid, of course. We all know X-Men don't know how to hit 'n run.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
The LG will be cheaper which should make some people consider waiting two weeks, but Bennnnn said that the Bolt will get everything that LG has -- VoLTE, Netflix, and Skype.

Mapex

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
The LG will be cheaper which should make some people consider waiting two weeks, but Bennnnn said that the Bolt will get everything that LG has -- VoLTE, Netflix, and Skype.

The only question is not if but when the T-Bolt is going to get VoLTE. In VZW's attempt to move everything to 4G and kill 2/3G, all 4G devices before the Revolution will need to be able to perform VoLTE calls.

I hope it can be done sometime within the months following the Revolution's launch.

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

The Revolution from LG will NOT launch with VoLTE, this has been confirmed all ready..unless they push it back until 2012 or later. its looking like all vzw LTE phones will be able to have Volte once it goes live.

Edit: what has confused ppl is that VZW did its First test on VoLTE with a LG Revolution. VoLTE is not ready and has been said to be a year or 2 away from going online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674