Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    jrmarinojr's Avatar

    Posts
    163 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Talking VZ Store Reps

    Just when I thought that VZ store sales reps hardly knew anything, I now realize they know NOTHING. Went into my local store and 2 reps did not even know what the Thunderbolt is. They also said Verizon will be selling the Wi-Fi only iPad 2 tomorrow which is completely untrue (only selling ones with data plans). Where do they find these people?
  2. #2  

    Default

    Craigslist, maybe? Who knows.
    Tongue in cheek idealists, I'm not giving up the claim that I can save the world and all I need is my friends.
  3. #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jrmarinojr View Post
    Just when I thought that VZ store sales reps hardly knew anything, I now realize they know NOTHING. Went into my local store and 2 reps did not even know what the Thunderbolt is. They also said Verizon will be selling the Wi-Fi only iPad 2 tomorrow which is completely untrue (only selling ones with data plans). Where do they find these people?
    It's a very low paying job. No offense to VZW reps, but we shouldn't expect them to know very much. In general, the more you pay someone, the more useful they are to your company (and vice versa). And the more useful they are, the more you invest in them. In other words, they are the low man on the totem pole and aren't given much training or information.
  4. #4  
    indymeh's Avatar

    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulmike3 View Post
    It's a very low paying job. No offense to VZW reps, but we shouldn't expect them to know very much. In general, the more you pay someone, the more useful they are to your company (and vice versa). And the more useful they are, the more you invest in them. In other words, they are the low man on the totem pole and aren't given much training or information.
    I agree 100%
  5. #5  

    Default

    i dont expect the guy at mcdonalds to come to my house an make kick *** burgers, he just throws meat in a microwave an passes it to the lettece specialist, then to the mayo an ketchup specialist....
    Thanked by:
  6. #6  
    Joelist's Avatar

    Posts
    363 Posts
    Global Posts
    624 Global Posts

    Default

    Meanwhile the VZW Corporate owned store reps in my area have been very knowledgeable, They are really good at fixing bugs in Android phones because they actually use them themselves, and thus know the ins and outs.

    BTW, they all know about the Thunderbolt and are waiting for it.
  7. #7  

    Default

    haha earlier I was at the mall to go buy running shoes today(got a nice pair for $50 score!)
    and stopped into the VZW store and asked for info.. the guy said it might be pushed to may and proceeded to try and sell me the droidX and tablets.
    sigh!
  8. #8  

    Default

    Verizon reps have lost all respect from me after seeing them recommend task killers so many times that I've lost count.
  9. #9  

    Default

    I just got back from a verizon store in college park, md to trade in my storm 1 for storm 2 for free..and the rep there said he was told March 24th release date
  10. #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I am Fake Jesus View Post
    i dont expect the guy at mcdonalds to come to my house an make kick *** burgers, he just throws meat in a microwave an passes it to the lettece specialist, then to the mayo an ketchup specialist....
    LOL, lettuce specialist, that cracked me up.

    I could just imagine someone asking someone else what they do for a living and them answering "Oh I'm a lettuce specialist at McDonald's".
  11. #11  
    Joelist's Avatar

    Posts
    363 Posts
    Global Posts
    624 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PJnc284 View Post
    Verizon reps have lost all respect from me after seeing them recommend task killers so many times that I've lost count.
    Actually that is part of why I respect mine. They check the version of Android and if it is Froyo they specifically tell you not to run a task killer because it will clash with Froyo's internal task killing processes. They then show you how to kill processes using Froyo's own built in interface.

    I think the reps have to be evaluated on an individual basis.
  12. #12  
    prakash99's Avatar

    Posts
    1,614 Posts
    ROM
    GummyNex 0.3.8

    Default

    It is NOT VZW reps' fault that some of them know nothing about something that has not been out yet. Obviously they have not been informed about the Thunderbolt. Some get their info from the internet just like you and me. They have been trained to sell the products they have in store .. and have been trained for. Obviously they have not been trained about Thunderbolt. I don't blame them. To be honest, how many of us know every single detail about our own jobs? All of us are not aware of something or other about our jobs. Let's not be too harsh on them.

    Yes, if they are rude to the customers and behave in not so courteous manner, then they can be held at fault. But I would not talk trash about them just for not being able to answer the questions about a device which only a handful of people out there have a detailed knowledge of.

    But hey I am not judging you. This is just my point of view. If you are still going to flame, be my guest
  13. #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulmike3 View Post
    It's a very low paying job. No offense to VZW reps, but we shouldn't expect them to know very much. In general, the more you pay someone, the more useful they are to your company (and vice versa). And the more useful they are, the more you invest in them. In other words, they are the low man on the totem pole and aren't given much training or information.
    Well, as a VZW rep I live in a 28th floor condo 2 blocks from the beach in Hawaii, have both a new truck and motorcycle and am hardly worried where my next meal is coming from, have money in the bank and a great retirement built up. If this is a low paying job...
    Verizon is also consistently listed as one of the top 25 companies for training their employees, and treats us very well.

    No offense to you, but I guess we can't expect you to know much...
    Thanked by 2:
  14. #14  

    Default

    Reps have gotten only a tiny bit of training about the Bolt but that was a month and a half ago. Also Reps aren't given any info on release date and thats to keep secrets from being leaked.
  15. #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebDevAnalyst View Post
    LOL, lettuce specialist, that cracked me up.

    I could just imagine someone asking someone else what they do for a living and them answering "Oh I'm a lettuce specialist at McDonald's".
    hey, everyone has a calling. an if you are awesome at puttin lettuce on a mac...do it cause when its perfected its delicious lol
  16. #16  
    prakash99's Avatar

    Posts
    1,614 Posts
    ROM
    GummyNex 0.3.8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I am Fake Jesus View Post
    hey, everyone has a calling. an if you are awesome at puttin lettuce on a mac...do it cause when its perfected its delicious lol
    Hey, I used to make awesome sandwiches at Dunkin Donuts for a few years.
  17. #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebDevAnalyst View Post
    LOL, lettuce specialist, that cracked me up.

    I could just imagine someone asking someone else what they do for a living and them answering "Oh I'm a lettuce specialist at McDonald's".
    Oh man that cracked me up and made my day
  18. #18  

    Default

    well im glad i could bring some humor to a on edge forum lol.

    but i wish verizon would just get better at releases. att an tmo seem to do alot better at announcing a phone an delivery pretty fast.
  19. #19  

    Default

    I know two friends who made at least 60 G's a year through college working full time as VZW reps. (I am not talking Generations people, just talking money for now, we will get there soon enough).

    Not a bad job if you can deal with the longer than normal hours i'd say...
    Currently enjoying my first Android phone!
  20. #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andeeg View Post
    I know two friends who made at least 60 G's a year through college working full time as VZW reps. (I am not talking Generations people, just talking money for now, we will get there soon enough).

    Not a bad job if you can deal with the longer than normal hours i'd say...
    Yeah, if you are a good salesman, I'm sure you can make some good money as a Verizon rep. It probably helps to be at a busy store also.
  21. #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andeeg View Post
    Not a bad job if you can deal with the longer than normal hours i'd say...
    Its also a tough gig because of the stress on the rep to perform(sell well).
  22. #22  
    FrankXS's Avatar

    Posts
    3,148 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulmike3 View Post
    It's a very low paying job. No offense to VZW reps, but we shouldn't expect them to know very much. In general, the more you pay someone, the more useful they are to your company (and vice versa). And the more useful they are, the more you invest in them. In other words, they are the low man on the totem pole and aren't given much training or information.
    I suppose "low" is a reletive term. But it may surprise you to know that a good VZW rep (one that sells a lot of contracts) can make as much as 80k/yr.

    -Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  
    jrmarinojr's Avatar

    Posts
    163 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Task Killer

    Question - I am coming from a BB Storm so I do not know too much about Android. However, my parents both have the Incredible and a VZ rep downloaded Advanced Task Killer to kill apps that were running but weren't being used. Then someone said that Froyo has its own task killer that would interupt with this app? Can someone explain this?
  24. #24  

    Default

    I would answer that question, but I am ill trained to do so.

    Were I better trained, I would point out that while Froyo does, indeed, have a task killer built in, it is something less than efficient. I use the ATK widget on my incredible, and whenever my phone starts running slow and I hit it, it clears between 100-150 Mb of RAM.

    Necessary? Probably not. Useful? Pretty much.
  25. #25  
    mclarryjr's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    5,765 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,394 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jrmarinojr View Post
    Question - I am coming from a BB Storm so I do not know too much about Android. However, my parents both have the Incredible and a VZ rep downloaded Advanced Task Killer to kill apps that were running but weren't being used. Then someone said that Froyo has its own task killer that would interupt with this app? Can someone explain this?
    Here is a simple answer... Android OS 2.2 and higher doesn't need to have a task killer installed. The OS will manage which apps need to be running and will close Apps if needed. Using a task killer will have a negitive results on your battery if not used correctly you will be killing Apps that the os needs to run. So as your task killer is killing them the is will be starting them again.

    Do a search on task killers and you will find plenety of threads discussing the cons of using them.

Posting Permissions