Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts

Default Interesting Start Up at Verizon

With all the buzzing and posting about the Thunderbolt on here I have posted a few times about my so called little findings even though they are not much I will give it all to you to what I as a customer have been told.

I signed up through Tell-Sales last week. I had a used Blackberry that was Verizon and called in and got a very nice guy named Robert. I said to him I have a few questions before we start. I said first can I use my used blackberry and be on a no contract plan since this Thunderbolt seems to be up the clouds so to speak. Robert was very kind and said normally no we do not do contract free but I understand your concern about wanting the Thunderbolt and would hate for it to drop on day 16 or later with your plan. We do not want to turn away customers so we are allowing this to happen with used devices you may sign up with no contract and wait with us.

I said question number 2. Once the tier data plans drop will I be grandfathered into unlimited data 3/4G for 29.99? Coming from Sprint they are now adding $10.00 data surcharge to all smart phones but have grandfathered all exciting customers in so I want to see where Verizon stands. Robert again was very kind and said I am very impressed you have done your homework there sir and yes we plan to follow suit with Sprint and you WILL be grandfathered in UNLESS you insurance claim, break, or upgrade your device after data prices have changed. He said just like Sprint accounts will NOT be grandfathered in BUT devices WILL be.

After Robert finished signing me up for service. I said to him I know even if you know the release date you can not say it since this call is monitored and/or recorded you risk losing your job but does your supervisor know or can say. Robert said hang on I will ask him. Robert did not place me on hold while I hear him say to his boss he wants to know what can you say. To which through the phone I hear his boss yell:

Beware the Ides of March.

I just laughed and said okay that makes no sense. After hanging up I knew I have heard that saying before so like a slow one I googled Ides of March to which it says 15th day of March.

So now I set and wait. Robert sent me a followed up welcome email to which I have saved on my computer, and if in turn this device does drop on March 15 I will be emailing Mr. Robert back to let him know that his boss has a very clever way of wording things that are classified. LOL

So for now I wait with this no so happy with Blackberry Curve 8530.

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts

inb4coolstorybro

Cool story bro.

Very Interesting! Its also just nice to hear you had a good experience with a customer service rep. These days it seems like all customer service feels like its a hassle doing their job and dealing with the public. Dont get me wrong, I know the public can be a huge pain in the a$$. But a lot of them start off with a bad mood regardless. Nice to hear one was so helpfull and friendly.

I doubt that it will be released on the 15th (a Tuesday) but it does give more proof that it will be released the week of the 15th (most likely 17th)

ROM
    ICS/JB/iOS 5.1

Story sounds legit, I'm thinking that the 15th is too soon though. most likely the 17th but hey crazier things have happened right

I don't want to discredit the story, as I hope the release date is true. You may, however, want to ask again about being grandfathered into the data plan. I was told by a phone rep AND face-to-face in a store that "no contract" plans cannot be grandfathered in because...well...you're not on a contract.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts

I will be on a contract once I get the Thunderbolt. The Verizon call center rep. stress to me as stated they are following Sprint grandfathered in policy of data. Sprint now charges $10 a month on any smart phone DEVICE, NO account is grandfathered in he stress Verizon will be doing the same.

Plain English: If you get the Thunderbolt BEFORE the data plan price changes you are grandfathered in for unlimited 3G/4G data at 29.99 but ONLY that DEVICE will have it. IF YOU damage it (insurance claim), fails (product replacement), you upgrade, or change your device you lose it and must select from the new data plans. No accounts or lines will be grandfathered in ONLY devices that will. So just like all of you that will be doing a mad rush when the Thunderbolt drops makes sure you get a good one test the heck out it cause as with every new device there are some lemons in the bunch cause I would hate to have to do a product replacement and lose my data once it changes. We all must treat our Thunderbolts as our children. car seats, side walls in cribs (cases), etc. LOL LOL

Tldr

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts

Good to know that what NCX was saying is correct: no grandfathering of unlimited 4G on to devices released after tiered pricing kicks in. That means for many of us we will only benefit from unlimited 4G or maybe a year, which is when quad core HTC devices should be out.