Maybe Verizon isn't that interested in selling the Thunderbolt?

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes I wonder how interested Verizon is in selling the Thunderbolt.

I went to Best Buy and placed a pre-order a couple of weeks ago. They took it no questions asked. And I am now holding my T-Bolt pre-order $50 gift certificate. But, I've since found out that Best Buy won't do the "annual" upgrade I am qualified for so I'll have to buy it in a Verizon store. Okay, what the heck, I guess I can find something else in Best Buy to use my Gift Certificate for.

I just called one of my local Verizon Corporate stores where I've bought every phone on my 10 year old family share plan (actually they didn't have family share plans when I first started), and they only begrudgingly admitted that the Thunderbolt would be available on the March 17th but they said they cannot hold one for me to pick up that day. Their policy is first come, first served.

Add this to the total lack of announcement by Verizon of the release date, and I have to wonder... does VZW actually want to sell this thing?

Man...

-Frank

Last edited:

Geeksy

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
As I understand it, there was an orchestrated release for the 17th. It was going to be well done, with well-planned advertisements and announcements.

Then VZW got greedy, got nervous.

AT&T began touting their Atrix and VZW wanted to put on the pressure in the market. So they let lose the monster that started this nightmare: a tweet suggesting the early release of the Thunderbolt. When they decided to do a retail exclusivity deal with BB, the schimdt hit the fan. BB is notoriously awful at... everything, and wanted to wring the Thunderbolt dry of all the profits they could manage.

The LTE and HTC engineers quizzically looked at this as they continued to fix the Thunderbolt. It was not ready for Valentine's Day. It was not ready for the 24th. The Veriphone came and went, the Xoom came and went. Yet still, the hype train rolled on. But it was losing steam. Now here we are, almost 5 months into the wait, and we are tired. VZW is tired, HTC is tired, BB is dumb.

If all went well, this would have been a wonderful release and display of technological prowess. Instead, we get a whimpering lion. It's still a lion, but you won't hear it very well.

johndabeast

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
As I understand it, there was an orchestrated release for the 17th. It was going to be well done, with well-planned advertisements and announcements.

AT&T began touting their Atrix and VZW wanted to put on the pressure in the market. So they let lose the monster that started this nightmare: a tweet suggesting the early release of the Thunderbolt. When they decided to do a retail exclusivity deal with BB, the schimdt hit the fan. BB is notoriously awful at... everything, and wanted to wring the Thunderbolt dry of all the profits they could manage.

The LTE and HTC engineers quizzically looked at this as they continued to fix the Thunderbolt. It was not ready for Valentine's Day. It was not ready for the 24th. The Veriphone came and went, the Xoom came and went. Yet still, the hype train rolled on. But it was losing steam. Now here we are, almost 5 months into the wait, and we are tired. VZW is tired, HTC is tired, BB is dumb.

If all went well, this would have been a wonderful release and display of technological prowess. Instead, we get a whimpering lion. It's still a lion, but you won't hear it very well.

Beautiful?

itsdollar

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

Underlined and Bolded for better impact. Great statement.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante