Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Sal

Default Thunderbolt hotspot policies?

The new press release says "Mobile Hotspot allows users to connect up to eight Wi-Fi-enabled devices to the nation's fastes wireless network via an application available on the ThunderBolt by HTC. Mobile Hotspot will be included through May 15 for no additional charge. After May 15, customers may choose to activate Mobile Hotspot for $20 for 2 GB of data per month. Customers can track their data usa by downloading the My Verizon app available in Android Market or by logging on to their My Verizon accounts online at www.verizonwireless.com/myverizon."

Does that mean everyone wiil be charged after 2 gbs? Do those who purchase after May pay $20 per month? I find this a little confusing...

Mmmmm, hotdpot. *drool*.

mobile hotspot is free from March 17th - May 15th. On May 15th, they will begin charging us $20 a month for 2GBs of data on the mobile hotspot. I don't know if its $20 PER 2 GB, or a 2 GB limit.

Quote Originally Posted by RodneyHamp View Post
    mobile hotspot is free from March 17th - May 15th. On May 15th, they will begin charging us $20 a month for 2GBs of data on the mobile hotspot. I don't know if its $20 PER 2 GB, or a 2 GB limit.
    I assume it will be the same as the LTE data card, which is $10/GB.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Sal

I wonder ifwe free hotspot people will have to pay after 2 gb though.

ROM
    Bamf Paradigm

i bet it's just like the Evo on Sprint--

pay $x amount to unlock the hotspot feature

so, in Vzw case,

pay $20 to unlock the HotSpot feature & use up to 2GB of data via the hotspot connection
    Nexus Lover

ROM
    AOKP JB Build 4

Default Free Hotspot until May!

Quote Originally Posted by Press Release
    Mobile Hotspot will be included through May 15 for no additional charge. After May 15, customers may choose to activate Mobile Hotspot for $20 for 2 GB of data per month.
    Free 4G hotspot! How great is this?!
    Follow me on Twitter!

Add me on Google+

Link

Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 7.1 / Tiamat 3.3.7

If I read the fine print right? After the 2GB used up? There might be. Charge of 1.5 cents per KB?

ROM
    Infected Eternity/stock

That should be more than enough time for this to be included in a custom ROM for ALWAYS free! haha
    Thunderbolt Saga > Brett Favre Saga

I will definitely try it out and see how well it works.

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TBolt2011 View Post
    That should be more than enough time for this to be included in a custom ROM for ALWAYS free! haha
    This.

But no, seriously, mobile hotspot needs to be free always. It's just an extension of how you use your "unlimited" bandwidth, not anything different. If Verizon's goal is to offer competitive home broadband with 4G, they'll need to get rid of mobile hotspot pricing anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapex View Post
    This.

But no, seriously, mobile hotspot needs to be free always. It's just an extension of how you use your "unlimited" bandwidth, not anything different. If Verizon's goal is to offer competitive home broadband with 4G, they'll need to get rid of mobile hotspot pricing anyway.
    It's not one of their priorities. And Comcast (and soon AT&T) have data caps on their plans now. "Unlimited" is leaving us.

Quote Originally Posted by thedeceiver View Post
    It's not one of their priorities. And Comcast (and soon AT&T) have data caps on their plans now. "Unlimited" is leaving us.
    I hate the comcast data cap.

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thedeceiver View Post
    Hotspot has nothing to do with unlimited. My point is that if a carrier is giving us bandwidth, we should be able to use it however we want.

I can understand why they put data caps - if you are going to be using insane amounts of bandwidth you should be doing so with a premium connection - but I don't understand that they can then tell us how we are allowed to access the data.

Hotspot really is no different than smartphone usage except maybe you chew through data quicker. If you want to put a data cap on hotspot data, fine by me, but don't make me have to pay for that bonus; I'm just going to run Wireless Tether otherwise.

Global Posts
    378 Global Posts

if we try for the 2 free months, will they automatically sign you up for it ends? or do you have to sign up for it?

So... just so that I am clear, and don't get a surprise bill that I cant afford to pay.
    I can turn on mobile hotspot with this phone, let my wife us the connection to watch Netflix movies on her iPad, as much as she wants, and my bill from Verizon isn't going to change?

Global Posts
    1,325 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10 KANG

Quote Originally Posted by Puterguru View Post
    So... just so that I am clear, and don't get a surprise bill that I cant afford to pay.
    I can turn on mobile hotspot with this phone, let my wife us the connection to watch Netflix movies on her iPad, as much as she wants, and my bill from Verizon isn't going to change?
    Yes, until May 15th.

Just be warned that if you use a very high amount of data (like Netflix constantly) then you might get throttled down.

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    469 Global Posts

If you are concerned about possible charge you may want to check. What if its only free for the two gb per month and then you pay per beyond.

after the 15th then what? if i dont want to pay for it am i stuck with it?
    [insert signature pic here]

I'm a fool when it comes to these phones and technology, but I know there will probably be apps, and whatnot, that can enable us to tether for free. I'm just thinking that if we download that app, it might put some sort of tracker on our phone so that it will know if we are tethering for free with a different app. Like I said, I really am a complete moron when it comes to technology, so I don't know if this is possible, but the fact that we are able to get (a Thunderbolt commercial just started on ESPN as I'm typing this) 2 months free kind of scares me. Nothing in life is free... usually

Default Hot spot pricing after May 15???

Did anyone notice that Verizon took off the pricing info for hot spot after 5/15 in the press release?

I saw the $20 for 2GB earlier today but now it's gone!! What's the deal Verizon?!

Quote Originally Posted by Mapex View Post
    Hotspot has nothing to do with unlimited. My point is that if a carrier is giving us bandwidth, we should be able to use it however we want.

I can understand why they put data caps - if you are going to be using insane amounts of bandwidth you should be doing so with a premium connection - but I don't understand that they can then tell us how we are allowed to access the data.

Hotspot really is no different than smartphone usage except maybe you chew through data quicker. If you want to put a data cap on hotspot data, fine by me, but don't make me have to pay for that bonus; I'm just going to run Wireless Tether otherwise.
    As a consumer I agree but if I put my business hat on it makes a ton of sense. Infrastructure is not cheap.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

ROM
    Thundershed Version 1.5

Default htc thunderbolt free hotspot trick?

will the htc incredible free hotspot trick without root work with the thunderbolt? and could somebody tell me what the htc incredibles trick was?

ROM
    Infected Eternity/stock

Quote Originally Posted by matt0715 View Post
    will the htc incredible free hotspot trick without root work with the thunderbolt? and could somebody tell me what the htc incredibles trick was?
    The only thing I can answer with, is that Hotspot on this phone will be free for use until May 15th. After that, you'll either have to pay $20 for a 2GB limit, or find another alternative (which is what I believe you're doing right now :P ).
    Thunderbolt Saga > Brett Favre Saga

courtesy of NCX:

Quote Originally Posted by NCX View Post
    basically the phone uses two different addresses when you use different connections:

3G - "yournumber@vzw3g.com"

hotspot - "yournumber@dun-vzw3g.com"

Hotspot uses the same authorization address as the aircards use, which is a DUN username.

Remove dun from the username and make it the same as the user name on the 3G username and voila, FREE hotspot!

to access EPST here's the tutorial, if you have a Droid Incredible, or EVO you can try it out.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

##778 - hit call/send

a popup will show up: click "edit mode"

PASSWORD: 000000

Access: M.IP Default Profile

Click: DUN NAI

remove DUN from your user name (it should look like an email address when you remove dun, make sure there are NO spaces (ie: @vzw3g.com)
    (basically make sure it looks exactly like this "yournumber@vzw3g.com"

YOURNUMBER is what your phone number would be in the address
    Once your done, click OK

HIT MENU (capacitive button) click: COMMIT MODIFICATIONS

-----------------------------------------------------------------

It will ask to reboot (not always)

Then voila, FREE hotspot and Tethering :P

Your welcome :P Now, isn't that more painless than having to root if thats all your gonna use ROOT for until a good custom rom arrives?

THIS WILL ONLY WORK ON HTC PHONES, THE SAME METHOD CANNOT BE USED ON MOTOROLA OR OTHER BRANDS!!!
    Motorola Droid, Viewsonic G-Tablet, Logitech Revue, HTC Thunderbolt, B&N Nook Color
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast