what is the screen made of?

SolidOrange

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I know it isn't gorilla glass as htc is not listed as a partner on their website. Will it be something that offers the same level of protection from scratching/cracking as my droid.

I absolutely hate screen protectors and have carried my droid naked in my pocket with keys/change since day 1 and still have 0 scratches. Please tell me that the 'bolt will not be a step backward for me in this aspect!

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
The TB's screen is Opaque Aluminum-Silicone Base glass, which is the generic/scientific term for "gorilla glass"

Gorilla Glass is just one particular brand name from one company that makes that kind of glass, but HTC uses the same stuff

Reactions: zshazz

zshazz

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Like others have said, the screen is basically going to be "Gorilla Glass" that isn't made by Corning and isn't branded as such.

When I get the phone, I'll post here if I get around to testing the glass and I'll let you know how it holds up.

zshazz

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
They should have made the screen out of Transparent Aluminum. It's strong enough to be used in exterior portals and windows of starships.

Honestly, every time someone says "Opaque Aluminum Silicone Base" ... I think "Why isn't it called transparent?! Argh!" :)

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
hmm.. my son has an Evo and dropped it so many times that I lost count and not one scratch. or crack.

Glad it didn't look like this Evo :eek:

cracked_up_close.jpg

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
If its anything like the EVO and I assume it is its very fragile and usually shatters when dropped.

Its glass. If you drop it, it breaks. That is true of regular glass, and its true of Gorilla glass or its counterparts.

People seem to think that just because its Gorilla glass its indestructible, but it isn't. It still cracks, it still shatters, and it still scratches. There is no such thing as unbreakable glass.

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Its glass. If you drop it, it breaks. That is true of regular glass, and its true of Gorilla glass or its counterparts.

People seem to think that just because its Gorilla glass its indestructible, but it isn't. It still cracks, it still shatters, and it still scratches. There is no such thing as unbreakable glass.

Yea I can vouche for this, my Droid 1 got owned by my colleges staircase. 4 flights of stairs later...bye bye lil buddy :( jumped right out of my pocket

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Yea I can vouche for this, my Droid 1 got owned by my colleges staircase. 4 flights of stairs later...bye bye lil buddy :( jumped right out of my pocket

I scratched my Droid 1 the day I got it.

Glass is glass. If you hit it the right way it will shatter, even if its Gorilla Glass. We've seen iPhones drop onto concrete and not shatter. We've seen iPhones drop a foot and shatter. It really doesn't matter if its super-strong or not.

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I scratched my Droid 1 the day I got it.

Glass is glass. If you hit it the right way it will shatter, even if its Gorilla Glass. We've seen iPhones drop onto concrete and not shatter. We've seen iPhones drop a foot and shatter. It really doesn't matter if its super-strong or not.

Well I work at a UPS store and I see Iphones getting sent back with the worst screen shatters I've ever seen. One lady came in to ship her package and laid her brand new Iphone down on the counter and the rear glass panel shattered.

KingChicago

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
@HTC Quick question: what kind of glass does HTC Usually use on its smartphones? Corning Gorilla Glass? Or something similar?
3 days ago*from web

htc @KingChicago We previously used GG. Since other damage-resistant glass tech has become available, we now source from multiple manufacturers.

Ricom1

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok..so a screen protector isn't going to save it from a fall. The question is, how scratch resistant is this glass? Is a screen protector going to do anything or is it an overkill?