What's the significance of not having Skype and Netflix?

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I know the retail TB does not have Netflix and Skype. What I am concerned about is that I thought I remembered these things (or at least one of 'em) were "baked into the ROM", as they say.

So... what is the significance of these not being included? Can they still be added later? Will it require a new ROM? Just a software app download? What?

-Frank

Android 19

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
good question. I have heard that skype will be integrated into it soon, as i also heard before of it baked into the os and contacts. Other then that it's only as big an issue as the individual user makes it. Even if it had skype i wouldnt use it much, nor the hotspot.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
If and when video Skype is working properly, it can be added as an app or baked into a custom ROM or an official ROM update from Verizon.

It is not certain that Netflix will work on this phone in the future, but there's a good chance, maybe not till GB is ready for this phone. No telling how long it will take for the software to be ready so we can find out. If and when it is working, just add it as a separate program.

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi. First post, and I use several carriers, and have several phones with my job. To answer your question I think the DRM libraries have to be already installed with the chip for NetFlix to work. I don't know if they can add the DRM libraries in a ROM Flash or not, or whether or not the DRM Libraries are already in the Thunderbolt chip. I know a few of my friends are wondering the same thing. If the DRM libraries are there, then NetFlix will work when they release the app. Whether or not Verizon will want to wait until they have a handle on data usage to allow the app through remains to be seen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo