To Thunderbolt, or not to Thunderbolt

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
First of all let me say that I'm an Android FANATIC. I use my devices to the fullest, I'm typing this on my XOOM now.

I currently have a Droid X. I use the car dock and desktop docks extensively. I'm in outside sales, so I'm always on the go and love that my charger is plugged in to my dock, and that the car home screen launches. I was going to wait for an upgraded Motorola because I know they'll have the docks, but this HTC device really intrigues me. I've had HTC devices in the past, and my wife has an Incredible that I like. Plus, getting grandfathered in on an unlimited alternate plan at $29/month is tempting.

My question is whether or not these docks I use so much will be available. Does anyone have any idea? Does HTC typically make those type of products available?

Thanks in advance...

SUB-dawg

Nexus Lover
Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
htc-thunderbolt-car-dock.jpg

thunderbolt-multimedia-dock-1.jpg

would these be the 2 items? ;)

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
So I got the phone and the car dock, but the multimedia dock is nowhere to be found. Does anyone know if this product is available?

This is critical as I use the bedside app, along with the dock, to be my alarm clock while the phone charges.

If anyone can shed any light on that I would really appreciate it.

Realist

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
i've been reading these threads like crazy the last couple days and i've also been following this phone since AUG when it was first rumored...

the deal breaker for me... and i understand it's not an issue with everyone but i'm at a desk all day and i would like to keep the kickstand open and charge my phone at the same time... why this was overlooked, i'll never know...

also, i saw some video comparison between the TB and DX web experiance and it looked like the DX beat the TB... i can't believe how underpowered this thing looked being so hyped up... i haven't read any blogs today.. i hit the forums first... i'll be looking at reviews and first impressions... i have a feeling though, none of it is going to change my mind...

if the TB was released months ago, maybe things would have been different... but since it took so long, it's that much closer to another set of new phones...

i'm sure i'll be posting in this thread again with an update

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
i've been reading these threads like crazy the last couple days and i've also been following this phone since AUG when it was first rumored...

the deal breaker for me... and i understand it's not an issue with everyone but i'm at a desk all day and i would like to keep the kickstand open and charge my phone at the same time... why this was overlooked, i'll never know...

also, i saw some video comparison between the TB and DX web experiance and it looked like the DX beat the TB... i can't believe how underpowered this thing looked being so hyped up... i haven't read any blogs today.. i hit the forums first... i'll be looking at reviews and first impressions... i have a feeling though, none of it is going to change my mind...

if the TB was released months ago, maybe things would have been different... but since it took so long, it's that much closer to another set of new phones...

i'm sure i'll be posting in this thread again with an update
Several option stand the phone up in portrait mode - sense is optimized for this anyway. Buy a desk dock. Buy an angled USB cord. That might be stable enough as is (one other user tried it and said it worked) if not a few business cards should do the trick

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I like the Thunderbolt better than my X, it does seem quicker (although the X is plenty quick).

I was annoyed at first by the kickstand things as well, but looking at it now it makes sense why. The hinge goes fairly deep into the phone, and there wouldn't be room for the hinge and USB port in the same place. Also, the kickstand works great with the phone in the UPRIGHT (portrait) position, and when in this position you can charge it just fine.

Go buy one, you'll love it.

You can lock in $30/month for unlimited LTE (which won't last) and you will get simultaneous voice and data over 3G if you're in an area that doesn't have LTE.

It was a no brainer for me. I just ordered one for my wife as well. She has an Incredible, but really likes the larger screen.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Several option stand the phone up in portrait mode - sense is optimized for this anyway. Buy a desk dock. Buy an angled USB cord. That might be stable enough as is (one other user tried it and said it worked) if not a few business cards should do the trick

We posted at the same time :p

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
So how stable is it when in portrait mode with the kickstand and a set of headphones plugged in?

I?m not expecting it to be glued to the table, but can it handle gentle nudging from the headphone cord while a person works at a desk?

-Suntan

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
So how stable is it when in portrait mode with the kickstand and a set of headphones plugged in?

I?m not expecting it to be glued to the table, but can it handle gentle nudging from the headphone cord while a person works at a desk?

-Suntan

Definitely. The worst I could see it doing is dropping down into landscape mode if you accidentally knock it over. While it's in landscape mode there is a possibility of knocking it over and having the kickstand close.

Either way the headphone cord is not going to knock it over, but I think it's actually more stable in portrait mode.

Realist

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I like the Thunderbolt better than my X, it does seem quicker (although the X is plenty quick).

I was annoyed at first by the kickstand things as well, but looking at it now it makes sense why. The hinge goes fairly deep into the phone, and there wouldn't be room for the hinge and USB port in the same place. Also, the kickstand works great with the phone in the UPRIGHT (portrait) position, and when in this position you can charge it just fine.

Go buy one, you'll love it.

You can lock in $30/month for unlimited LTE (which won't last) and you will get simultaneous voice and data over 3G if you're in an area that doesn't have LTE.

It was a no brainer for me. I just ordered one for my wife as well. She has an Incredible, but really likes the larger screen.

i'm also coming from an alltel plan and from what i've read, i will be forced to get the verizon plan, which is going to be noticeably different... i've also heard that the data plan changing is just a rumor... could you link me to where it says verizon is changing their plans for sure

and i would really like to mirror my phone onto my tv... looks like the only things the TB will show is the videos and photos you've taken... is this true?

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
i'm also coming from an alltel plan and from what i've read, i will be forced to get the verizon plan, which is going to be noticeably different... i've also heard that the data plan changing is just a rumor... could you link me to where it says verizon is changing their plans for sure

and i would really like to mirror my phone onto my tv... looks like the only things the TB will show is the videos and photos you've taken... is this true?

You may want to call Verizon regarding the Alltel issue because a Verizon employee was on here and said that the Verizon Talk, Text, and Data promo and the Alltel Smartpak plan will transfer over to the Thunderbolt. I can say this is true regarding the Talk, Text, and Data promo as I had it and it's still on my line.

The only other thing I can tell you is that it's not just a rumor about the tiered data plans. At least two different Verizon Wireless execs have stated that tiered data plans are coming in two different articles. I don't have them at my disposal right now, but I don't consider it just rumor when the execs talk about it.

bmcclure937

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
not sure when 4G will be coming to my area... is there a map or graph that shows what cities are to follow the 4G release?

Even so... get in on 4G now while you can snag it for $30 unlimited. :)

The prices will go up soon. Get it while it is the same as 3G... and you will be grandfathered in and have 4G LTE when it hits your area.

I do not have LTE in my area yet but it should be coming by the end of the year. :cool:

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Even so... get in on 4G now while you can snag it for $30 unlimited. :)

The prices will go up soon. Get it while it is the same as 3G... and you will be grandfathered in and have 4G LTE when it hits your area.

I do not have LTE in my area yet but it should be coming by the end of the year. :cool:

Where in Ohio are you? Dayton? I know Dayton was one of the markets in Ohio that's supposed to get it this year.

I actually am from Ohio (Columbus area) and went to school at Wright State (Dayton). I don't understand why they didn't just turn it on with Cincinnati. I mean they gave Akron LTE and there's just as much sprawl between Cincinnati and Dayton.

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
No one knows when the tired pricing for LTE will start. If you don't have LTE Today -- I'd Pass on the TB -- you should have at least one other LTE option (DUAL CORE to boot) before the tiered pricing starts (Rumor's Summer). If you have a super old phone like many in this forum are upgrading from then it's a more difficult decision...