Theory: Canceling free mobile hotspot will trigger tiered 4G pricing

I am Fake Jesus

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
i wont need the hotspot. ill deny it anyways just for that. cable company i work for does that with specials, free dvr for 6 months then we charge you full price....but we dont do contracts. so if they try to change anything i will say nope, i signed a contract for $30 unlimited data an watever mins, sure you can change those wenever yourself, but how does your contract keep you grandfathered. att has changed from unlimited data, tho my iphone 3g has been out of contract since nov 20 im still gettin unlimited. they cant force you to change.

the only thing i have heard of is my parents were on alltel an verizon bought them here. my parents had a super cheap rate that verizon didnt offer. they gave them like a notice an special offers for free phones to sign new contracts. my parents denied. well 4 months after the swith there moto razr just stopped recieving signal lol. an they told them there phones were bad an to sign new contract lol

this wont happen.

jas o

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I think they are counting on people just being too lazy to cancel or that people won't notcie the extra $$ on thier bill. You would be surprise how oblivious people are.

If only 50% cancel still easy money for VZW

KSChris

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
This seems unlikely to me.

By buying the phone you enter into a contractual agreement with Verizon. They can't change the terms of that contract. Isn't that the whole point of being grandfathered in with unlimited 4G despite them going to tiered plans this summer?

I think as long as we get the Bolt now, we should be good for as long as our contract is valid.

thedeceiver

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Sprint did the same thing with the EVO. They don't add Wifi Tether to your data plan, they just detect the device/user (could be either, I don't know), recognize you/it as a TB user. Instead of presenting you with the "You need to subscribe to tethering" you just hum right along.

And I agree with other posters... it's not a trick... they want people to get used to it, maybe even depend on it, and then that'll get them hooked. They are like crack dealers.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I can only see something like that being a good thing anyway if you have a tablet or something along those lines that would be wifi only.

Most of the time if I'm out and about I'm not carrying a laptop, but I would use a tablet.

thedeceiver

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I can only see something like that being a good thing anyway if you have a tablet or something along those lines that would be wifi only.

Most of the time if I'm out and about I'm not carrying a laptop, but I would use a tablet.

I'm going to use it on my Xoom and my netbook when I'm out and about (ie. Work :p).