Keeping existing number (and carrier plan)

Droid_Evo_8

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
In a few days, I'll be owning the long-awaited Thunderbolt from Verizon, switching from AT&T and iPhone. I know it's possible to port my existing number from the iPhone to the Thunderbolt but is it possible for my dad to keep my existing unlimited data plan since he wanna continue or take over my current plan (and phone).

Where do I go first from here? Go to Verizon first and activate the Thunderbolt so I can keep my number then go to AT&T and tell them that my dad can continue my current plan and phone from them? Or Verizon will do all the work for me on the spot?

Hope this all makes sense. :):D

Mapex

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
I don't think that you can do that. Numbers are portable, but they tend to be synonymous with "line" so you would in effect be "cancelling" your AT&T line, removing your grandfathered unlimited data.

What you COULD do is setup Google Voice for both yourself and for your father and tell everyone to call the GVoice numbers instead. Then you can have your dad take your old number and plan and cancel his previous line while you enjoy a totally new number and plan on VZW w/ the T-Bolt. It will take some work to tell everyone to use the new number, but I've done it and it isn't that terrible. Then again, I may just be an acne-covered, snot-eating, mother's-basement dweller of a social outcast.

Droid_Evo_8

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't think that you can do that. Numbers are portable, but they tend to be synonymous with "line" so you would in effect be "cancelling" your AT&T line, removing your grandfathered unlimited data.

What you COULD do is setup Google Voice for both yourself and for your father and tell everyone to call the GVoice numbers instead. Then you can have your dad take your old number and plan and cancel his previous line while you enjoy a totally new number and plan on VZW w/ the T-Bolt. It will take some work to tell everyone to use the new number, but I've done it and it isn't that terrible. Then again, I may just be an acne-covered, snot-eating, mother's-basement dweller of a social outcast.

I take it that I can't keep my number with the plan then? If that's the case, I have no other choice but to get a new number. :(

DJBeanPole

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I take it that I can't keep my number with the plan then? If that's the case, I have no other choice but to get a new number. :(

Just get a new number, and man up, tweet about it, Facebook about it, myspace about it, hell tell us about it here. It'll get around that you have a new one. Its happened to the best of us, and we survived. :D!

Droid_Evo_8

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Just get a new number, and man up, tweet about it, Facebook about it, myspace about it, hell tell us about it here. It'll get around that you have a new one. Its happened to the best of us, and we survived. :D!

LOLz

We just talked about it on what we gonna do: Set up an account at Verizon so I can keep my number and all that (thus losing my unlimited plan from AT&T).

But my dad decided to go with the Inspire (even though it doesn't have unlimited data, it can still have unlimited voice and text, through Google Voice) Hehe

So it's not just me anymore who's going to the Darkside. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech