Buying Retail

Alpha Axl

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
So I'm buying a Thunderbolt retail ($699.99 still?). I'm in a family plan (me and my girlfriend), and was wondering if I should add a line for the TB and pay $299.99, and then just cancel my current line, eat the $350 cancellation fee. I don't care about the number since I use a Google Voice number and can just throw it on the new phone with ease.

That way I'd be paying $650 and getting the locked in $30/Unlimited 4G? Just wondering if this sounds do-able and if it is maybe it will help the people that wanted to buy retail.

Sentrix

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
You could always use the Thermo-nuclear option.

That is, cancel your service with Verizon. Then wait 24 hours, call their Win-Back department (1-800-523-8573) and say that leaving was a mistake. Say something like "I was in a tough situation but found a way out" or something that sounds like a complicated family matter.

Basically, they'll reinstate the exact same lines you had, waive the cancellation fee you were billed (or credit you for it if you auto-paid) and you'll be eligible for upgrade immediately.

Try not to do this too often as they'll probably catch on, but if you need an upgrade and absolutely cannot wait and want to get it at contract price, this is a good route to take.

Alpha Axl

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site

That is, cancel your service with Verizon. Then wait 24 hours, call their Win-Back department (1-800-523-8573) and say that leaving was a mistake. Say something like "I was in a tough situation but found a way out" or something that sounds like a complicated family matter.

Basically, they'll reinstate the exact same lines you had, waive the cancellation fee you were billed (or credit you for it if you auto-paid) and you'll be eligible for upgrade immediately.

Try not to do this too often as they'll probably catch on, but if you need an upgrade and absolutely cannot wait and want to get it at contract price, this is a good route to take.

Interesting tactic, I might look into it, thanks!

You might want to check the no-contract data pricing. It's not $30, but $50.

So if I already have a contract and buy this retail I'll be paying $30? I thought it was only if you sign up for a new contract and get the Thunderbolt.

mlee21

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site

Not 100% sure, but wouldn't you lose your phone number if you did this method?

Alpha Axl

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Not 100% sure, but wouldn't you lose your phone number if you did this method?

That's why I use Google Voice, made my own easy to remember number and I can add whatever new number I get to ring whenever I get a new phone. Rings all at once while the other person doesn't even know your REAL number ;)

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I'd add the new line and switch the phone over, but don't cancel the current line. You'd be better off paying the $10/line fee for the remainder of the contract versus the ETF (which would be a maximum of $200 -- $10 for 20 months). Plus, it'll be less painful in that you'll be paying a small amount each month versus a large chunk up front. You'll need a dumb phone to activate on the line though so you don't pay the data charge on both lines. I did this a while back and it was even better then before they increased the ETF. So it's much better now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos