Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can the thunderbolt be unlocked?

My best friend is convinced that he is going to pick up a thunderbolt in a few weeks and get it unlocked to use on AT&T.

I was wondering if this is possible? Since it has a sim card and all I figure it might be right.

I don't believe it has a GSM radio in it.

100% impossible. Verizon is CDMA radio technology and AT&T is GSM. Two 100% incompatible technologies. The SIM slot is for LTE 4G. Which AT&T doesn't have either, yet.
    I should now be referred to as "ThunderMaster"
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I will let him know so he doesn't waste his money. I thought that might be the case. I did a google search and found a site that claims they sell unlock codes that will make the thunderbolt available to AT&T or tmobile. Must be a scam

Global Posts
    847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by evomaster View Post
    The SIM slot is for LTE 4G. Which AT&T doesn't have either, yet.
    And even if they did, it's a different frequency... IE... NOT compatible.
    "In valor, there is hope."

No, it will not be possible. Why would he want to do this anyway? The reason you get the Thunderbolt over other HTC 4.3" phones is because it's on LTE and verizon. There are lots of other HTC and other great phone options on ATT. The Inspire is what he wants: http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...sku=sku5100284
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I dunno. I have used unlocked iPhones on tmobile and have settled with edge. I have an iPad for data and such but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by bkorver View Post
    And even if they did, it's a different frequency... IE... NOT compatible.
    I'm pretty sure AT&T is deploying on 700 MHz like Verizon......
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Xm_jdm View Post
    I will let him know so he doesn't waste his money. I thought that might be the case. I did a google search and found a site that claims they sell unlock codes that will make the thunderbolt available to AT&T or tmobile. Must be a scam
    Yes! Please make sure he doesn't get it. He will be greatly disappointed.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I just let him know and directed him to this thread. He was bummed. I know he's been eyeballing this one for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by evomaster View Post
    I'm pretty sure AT&T is deploying on 700 MHz like Verizon......
    Reading this thread, @evomaster seems to be the only person who replied who knew specifically what the OP's friend may have been talking about: LTE SIM compatibility between Verizon and AT&T.

The fact is we don't know if LTE Sim's will be cross carrier compatible. With them both deploying LTE in the 700Mhz frequency,there is a high probability that a device, if it can be radio "unlocked" purchased for one network may work on the 4G of the other. However, without VoLTE being deployed, this would be for data services only, as AT&T and Verizon's 3G and voice services are completely incompatible.

However, if VoLTE (Voice over LTE) comes into play, this may be a viable option in the future. We'll have to see if VoLTE will be a software/firmware upgrade, or require chipset changes for the big two.
    Last edited by dalex7777; 05-17-2011 at 05:50 PM. Reason: clarity, 700Mhz reference

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts
    ROM
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by dalex7777 View Post
    Reading this thread, @evomaster seems to be the only person who replied who knew specifically what the OP's friend may have been talking about: LTE SIM compatibility between Verizon and AT&T.

The fact is we don't know if LTE Sim's will be cross carrier compatible. With them both deploying LTE in the 700Mhz frequency,there is a high probability that a device, if it can be radio "unlocked" purchased for one network may work on the 4G of the other. However, without VoLTE being deployed, this would be for data services only, as AT&T and Verizon's 3G and voice services are completely incompatible.

However, if VoLTE (Voice over LTE) comes into play, this may be a viable option in the future. We'll have to see if VoLTE will be a software/firmware upgrade, or require chipset changes for the big two.
    Sadly even with a pure LTE connection, which the Tbolt does not have, LTE SIM encryption will prevent unlocking. Even without a PIN, the SIM is encoded only for Verizon. The phone will lock itself permanently if any other SIM is inserted. This is a hardware feature so its extremely hard to bypass... Impossible for a normal user. This was the main reason that some LTE devices take so long to activate.

Aside, who would want to waste the Tbolt on AT&T's crappy network?
    Former Verizon Wireless Technical Consultant

Default Re: Can the thunderbolt be unlocked and used on virgin mobile?

My brother wants to give me his verizon thunderbolt. Can I unlock it and use it on virgin mobile?