Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Going with 1yr or 2yr contract??

How many of you are going with 1-yr contracts at $320? The real question is how much will the Thunderbolt be worth in 10 months? (How much are Incredibles selling for roughly 10 mo. after release)?

If you can get $250-300 or so, wouldn't it be worth it to get the 1-yr over a $180 2-yr contract? What am I missing--tiered data price increase?

Global Posts
    978 Global Posts
    ROM
    LiquidICSv1.5 MR3V1 JMOD

1 year. Por favor.

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    ROM
    Axiom Crossbreed

1 year here also (:

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

1 year for me.

ROM
    None

For the extra $80 1 year is a much better deal. Im going 1 year too.

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

1 year !!!

since i have the funds this week...1 year
    *PHILLIES* *FLYERS* *EAGLES*
    "The Island brought us here"...got LOST

ROM
    CM7

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    How many of you are going with 1-yr contracts at $320? The real question is how much will the Thunderbolt be worth in 10 months? (How much are Incredibles selling for roughly 10 mo. after release)?

If you can get $250-300 or so, wouldn't it be worth it to get the 1-yr over a $180 2-yr contract? What am I missing--tiered data price increase?
    I ordered mine through amazon for 180. I would advocate the one year for most people. However, I am on a family plan with 5 lines. I have 3 lines up for renewal now, and one up in october. 2 of those 3 people still like the old "dumb" phones (which I buy off contract), so in a year, if I want to upgrade, I can. Been on verizon since mid 90's, don't really have any intention of moving. So that is why I choose a two year contract. But yes, if you plan on selling your phone via ebay when your contract is up then it probably is slightly beneficial to get a one year contract. Although, the difference between amazon and verizon is more than $70. It is closer to $160 by the time you throw in taxes. (If you live in a state that amazon doesn't tax)(Amazon = $180, Verizon = $320 + $20 (taxes) =$340, hence the $160 difference. Will the phone depreciate $160 over the extra 10 months? If you are someone who wants a new phone every year, and doesn't have more than one line to upgrade on, then by all means, the one year contract makes more sense.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

Wirefly w/ BoA 'Add It Up' is $150 shipped. VZW B&M in CA is $310 for 2 year or $380 1 year (taxed). I really wanted to do 1 year, but for a $230 difference it didn't make sense.

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mageus View Post
    Wirefly w/ BoA 'Add It Up' is $150 shipped. VZW B&M in CA is $310 for 2 year or $380 1 year (taxed). I really wanted to do 1 year, but for a $230 difference it didn't make sense.
    Good news the retail price is $445 which is what we will be taxed on here in CA for 1/2/mo-mo. contracts. its about $39.
    Sales tax law says that it should be taxed on purchase price unless its a manufacture rebate, then it can be the full price.
    Im sick of this BS cell phone sales tax. No manufacture rebate, means we should only pay tax on purchase price. Damn government!

1 year here!

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

want to get a 1 year, but I doubt they'll give me my annual upgrade with that. plus I don't mind being locked into unlimited 3g/4g. Been on a BB for over 2 years, i think I can handle 2 years on a TB
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Hang on, if you have other family members who like dumb phones and let you use your upgrade, don't you have to pay an extra $30 per month on a data plan for that line? What am I missing?

Global Posts
    341 Global Posts

1 year for me.

1 year, the price is really worth it

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Hang on, if you have other family members who like dumb phones and let you use your upgrade, don't you have to pay an extra $30 per month on a data plan for that line? What am I missing?
    No, you can transfer the upgrade to different lines. That's probably what I'm going to do with the Thunderbolt.

I'm probably going to get a 2 year contract and then when my mother's upgrade comes up in October I'll give her the Thunderbolt and take her upgrade since she will be okay with tiered data.

I wasn't so sure with the $300 price tag, but since it dropped to $250... absolutely I'm going with a 1 yr contract!!!

Then I can see what's new this time next year!!! Dual-Core, Tri-Core, Quad-Core, 5G, ....