Thunderbolt Battery Complaints + Tips/Tricks

The_Engine

Super Genius
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Stupid Question, i am sure, but how do i see what apps are using more CPU or Battery? I keep going into settings and poking around and not seeing it. i thought Android had a screen that showed you what was using CPU/memory/Power?

Edit: I found it: Setting> About Phone > Battery > Battery Use

Last edited:

boidsonly

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Download, "Advanced Task Killer Froyo", from the market. Disable all the programs you do not use/have a need for. Battery will last you all day unless you are constantly streaming data, etc. A must have app!

KJ78

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
turn the screen brightness manually to the lowest you can tolerate (mine is about 20%), set screen shutoff as short as possible, exit out of apps, kill tasks regularly, go through prefs for all apps and make sure apps only run the background services you want in the first place, disable that stupid facebook/twitter sync page, run gps/bluetooth/wifi when it makes sense, delete apps that you dont use

Reactions: Jo5329

perfectpete216

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Download, "Advanced Task Killer Froyo", from the market. Disable all the programs you do not use/have a need for. Battery will last you all day unless you are constantly streaming data, etc. A must have app!

I wouldn't recommend that, Task Killers cause MORE harm than good - it's works the CPU more and burns more battery.

All people need to do is MODERATION - when you get a new cell phone you wanna play with it, of course. Just moderate it. If you have little LTE connection in the area, go into settings and keep it on CDMA only to use 3G instead of 4G, because if you have a weak connection, your phone will kill itself trying to access a stronger signal. Keep refresh intervals between 30 minutes and an hour for Facebook and Twitter, and if you're home a lot, connect to wifi and stay connected, it'll be better for the phone in the long run.

mfancy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had problems with my batter in I don't know how long. Rooting is the way to go. My battery easily lasts all day now. With moderate use, my phone lasts anywhere from 16-20 hours. I played Words with Friends, Angry Birds, check Facebook and Twitter, Google Reader, watch a YouTube video or 2, surf the internet, and my phone still lasts all day.

Bearly

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Im on bamf remix 2.1 and battery lasts 8 hours with moderate use. Phone is fast though.

Kinda sucks but oh well.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I just got my device yesterday 8/30/2011 It allows you to choose CDMA or have it set to make its choice depending on the area you are in. I have it at the latter to see what happens. I live in Arizona and it is 4G but I am in Cave Creek and it is 3G only

cclifft

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I've been using the TB now for about 6 weeks, and so far, this being my first android phone, I like it, but that is neither here nor there. This is about the battery.

Mine sucked. I did everything in this forum to do, I dropped the display, turned off auto sync, set it to 3G, only used wifi at home, and the list goes on and on. So after my battery died on a full charge overnight while I slept (for a third time), that was the last draw, and I went to Verizon to see what's up and see about a new battery.

I was told that it was my widgets that were draining the battery. How in the "you know what" can my three widgets (clock, favorites/people, and calendar) widgets drain my battery from 100% to 0 overnight, while the phone was basically "off"/in sleep/standby mode while I soundly slept through the night. I truly find that hard to believe, and I hope for her sake that I am wrong, but honestly, that is a load of crap. I dont use any of the other widgets, like the FB one or maps, etc. I like them, but they are not for me. I have to call shenanagins on this Verizon worker.

I know the battery is bad, but after all the power saving methods I do, it still runs out while I sleep at night with 100% on the battery. I know that it was at 100% because I took it off the charger before going to sleep when the little green led was light up while it was on the charger.

I have the extended battery now, so I will see how that goes, hopefully better, but for those of you out there, can you please confirm or deny that widgets are not the cause of my batter dying through the night.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Thunderbolt for about a week. The battery started out useless, and became somewhat less useless over time. I made a very hasty decision to order an HTC extended battery.

While I was waiting for Amazon to ship my new battery, the battery life improved considerably after my first "full-discharge" cycle, and slowly climbed into acceptable (for me) over the following few days. I still found myself nervous when away from a charging station for more than 8 hours, but I could get through a day, usually.

I think a lot of it also had to do with the fact that I finally ditched the "automatic" screen brightness that keeps the screen WAY too bright and got an app to change brightnesses to specific levels, then started running the screen at 10% for regular light, 20% under flourescent light, 40 or 70% in the car, and 100% only in full sunlight). The screen is always the #1 drain, but I brought that from 85-90% down to 60% just with better "brightness management".

Once I did that and turned off the LTE battery, I could just barely make it through a solid day without a recharge, but I was putting the phone on the charger with the low battery warnings going off every night if I didn't do a mid-day recharge (note that this was not true when I was at home - I was putting it on charge with 30-40% left at night, but my cell signal at my desk at work is really poor, so that eats battery up).

Last night, my extended battery came in. I put it on the charger and let it charge up.

At 1AM, I got a support call. I unplugged it (the battery had thankfully charged to 100%, which was a long climb), and ended up running a 2-hour 3-way conference call on my Thunderbolt, while pulling data off Wifi at the same time. I also ran "OpenSignalMaps" on the drive in to work and that tends to pull a lot of battery. In addition, I noticed that my GPS was running continuously for some odd reason after I updated Facebook, so I restarted the phone 4 hours ago to clear that up. So I'd say my usage patterns were somewhat higher than normal today.

It is now 10 hours after I unplugged the phone on the very first charge of the extended battery, I'm at work where my phone struggles to get signal, and my charge is currently sitting at 58% according to "Battery Indicator" by Darshan LLC.

I'm going to see if I can manage the timing for a "full discharge" (to low battery alarm) this evening and get this battery calibrated properly, but so far I'd fully expect the stock battery to be at about 20% and starting low-battery alarms by now, given how much the phone was used this morning.

I actually like the HTC extended battery and what it does to the shape of the phone. The edges give my fingers something to grip and my hold on the phone feels more secure than the old flat back, and the phone (while monstrously heavy by most cell phone standards) is still lighter than most "cordless" phones I've owned, so holding it up to my ear for two hours was in no way uncomfortable.

So far, it looks like the extended battery is going to give me more battery life than the stock battery in my much-dumber Blackberry Curve 9300, which makes me :D :D

Update: I'm at nearly 12 hours since I unplugged it, battery charge is at 50%, even with all the "heavier" usage today. In other words, with the stock battery that has about half the capacity, I'd probably be looking at a low battery alarm about an hour ago. I'll be at a meeting until 9:00 tonight, so this will be a 20-hour day, let's see if the battery can keep going that long with higher-than-normal use on its very first charge. If it can, I'll be deeply impressed.

Second update: 5:10PM. 16 hours in, battery is at 26%. Will it manage another 4 hours? Time will tell.

Final update: Battery ran out and phone shut down at about 9:15PM. It made 20 hours, just barely. More importantly, the battery is now calibrated and I get to see how it performs for real.

It took from 9:30PM to about 5:30AM to charge back up (on an 800mAh charger, I'll try it again on the stock 1A charger tonight). That's a long charge cycle.

I unplugged it at 6:15 and it's now about 10:15 AM. In that 4 hours, I've dropped to 85%. Not too shabby at all. I'm going to try using the phone a bit with my marginal signal today, and see what I've got at the end of the day. But I'm pretty confident I can get a long day out of it pretty easily now (yesterday's 20-hour debacle was a little unusual).

Last edited:

electriclineman

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I've been using the TB now for about 6 weeks, and so far, this being my first android phone, I like it, but that is neither here nor there. This is about the battery.

Mine sucked. I did everything in this forum to do, I dropped the display, turned off auto sync, set it to 3G, only used wifi at home, and the list goes on and on. So after my battery died on a full charge overnight while I slept (for a third time), that was the last draw, and I went to Verizon to see what's up and see about a new battery.

I was told that it was my widgets that were draining the battery. How in the "you know what" can my three widgets (clock, favorites/people, and calendar) widgets drain my battery from 100% to 0 overnight, while the phone was basically "off"/in sleep/standby mode while I soundly slept through the night. I truly find that hard to believe, and I hope for her sake that I am wrong, but honestly, that is a load of crap. I dont use any of the other widgets, like the FB one or maps, etc. I like them, but they are not for me. I have to call shenanagins on this Verizon worker.

I know the battery is bad, but after all the power saving methods I do, it still runs out while I sleep at night with 100% on the battery. I know that it was at 100% because I took it off the charger before going to sleep when the little green led was light up while it was on the charger.

I have the extended battery now, so I will see how that goes, hopefully better, but for those of you out there, can you please confirm or deny that widgets are not the cause of my batter dying through the night.

When I got the TB the day it came out & realized how bad the battery was I was not happy VZ didn't tell me about this issue but I loved the phone. So I went to VZ wireless to figure out what to do to make the battery last longer.. In the 8 times I went there, the same VZ tech had 8 different excuses as to why the battery was going dead so quick... The final one was the charge port was bad even though I told him its fine & I didn't want a refurbished phone. He PROMISED me I would get a new one.. Well got a refurb & have had issues ever since.. I figured how to make three battery last from reading android central.. VZ techs don't always know what they are doing, the 9 th time I went in I saw a girl who was awesome.. She went thru everything to see if I missed anything which if course I did.. Also she ordered me a brand new phone.. Also got the extended battery & getting around 24 hours..

Jeenyus

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Battery is a joke & you think with all the advances in battery technology HTC would have released the Thunderbolt with a 2700MaH the same size as a 1400, 1500, 1700 battery.

If it's so easy. Why don't you make one. I haven't seen any other company with that capacity with the 1400mah size

ggrr8t

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I am in the middle of installing a dishwasher my phone is chiming It wants to do a software update. At daughters hse with no ext pwr for ph...so deferinf ti sat.

theshorty13

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know of a way to get my apps on my phone to do barrel rolls. I have a friend who has an iPhone yes I know 2 completely different things but if she could do it I was hoping there was something out there.

art4rm

May 17, 2014
Visit site
I am happy to know I can turn down display and how! I bought a second battery "just in case", and it comes complete with wall charger.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke