Thunderbolt Battery Complaints + Tips/Tricks

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Cyber put a ton of work into post 5 of the FAQ specifically for battery life. Please read it. That doesn't mean their won't be dedicated stickies for certain topics, but give them a chance to figure out what they should be first so we can present them in an orderly way. One of the reasons we create stickies is to keep important topics at the top. Trust me, this topic is not going to get buried 2-3 pages in because it's not a sticky yet.

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Not at all true. I have my X set to 80% brightness and the battery stays in performance mode. I use the device all day log and go to bed around mid night with 40% to 60% battery left.

However, as far as this TB thread goes...the phone is an HTC...what did everyone expect? I don't think a single htc device exist that runs more than 6 or 7 hours before it dies. You just need to keep a charger handy and plug it in whenever in the car.

We never got all day out of ANY phone with a 4.3" screen without setting the display down to 25%. Motorola or HTC. Motorola does have better battery life though.

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Where is the newbie thread? Is the app tray an all app view? I can't delete or move apps there.

Cyber Warrior has created a FAQ sticky. Check there. The app tray on the pull down menu shows your last 8 used apps. Hit the Up arrow on the dock to view all apps. If you have many concerns just pm me =)

Reactions: Chrisy

karnovaran

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Reading the article, I'm not sure my Incredible would do much better with 2:45 awake time on 3G.

One thing is guaranteed with every phone launch - a zillion "battery life sucks" threads. It's a fact of life people. If you're a heavy user, invest in a spare battery and charging cradle. Slap the fresh one in when your current one dies, wash, rinse, repeat.

Reactions: derekgallina

brownhornet

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I havent played with mine hardly at all and im down to 50%!!!!!!!! This worries me... especially considering I havent even added most of my apps yet. I charged it to full power before I even turned it on and this was around 9 am. Its not even noon yet and my battery is halfway dead. And this is someone coming from an Evo.

Guntherm

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Where is the newbie thread? Is the app tray an all app view? I can't delete or move apps there.

Ask away Chrisy, us old Android people will answer..

Just shows last apps run. bottem sense bar is Up arrow looking item. Hit and allapps installed show up.

Reactions: Chrisy

jd10984

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I havent played with mine hardly at all and im down to 50%!!!!!!!! This worries me... especially considering I havent even added most of my apps yet. I charged it to full power before I even turned it on and this was around 9 am. Its not even noon yet and my battery is halfway dead. And this is someone coming from an Evo.

UGH every time I almost decide to go out and get it stuff like this scares me off lol. Are you on 4g?

Fhiz

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
pray for an update that allows you to turn 4g off I guess. maybe it's something with LTE's architecture that doesn't allow for it to go off haha.

brownhornet

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
UGH every time I almost decide to go out and get it stuff like this scares me off lol. Are you on 4g?

Yea I am. I havent fooled with it much since im at work but I really dont see a way to turn the 4G off. Can I get some assistance on that from someone? Dont see it in the settings.

jd10984

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Yea I am. I havent fooled with it much since im at work but I really dont see a way to turn the 4G off. Can I get some assistance on that from someone? Dont see it in the settings.

Ah, ya I heard battery life is awful on 4g.. I am curious if it's alot better on 3g being that I wont have 4g in my area for close to a year.

Fhiz

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

there is apparently no way to turn it off.

but aren't there basic android settings where data is turned off completely after a period of inactivity? annoying, but its the best we got right now.

MrBigFeathers

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't know why anyone was thinking the battery was gonna last. My Incredible only lasts about 10 hours tops on the stock battery which is only 100mAH smaller than the TB battery. The TB doesn't have an AMOLED screen, has 4G on all the time, a bigger screen, etc. I knew the battery life was going to be horrible on this if it was bad on my Incredible.

I can't believe you can't turn 4g off though.

I'll just wait for the Incredible 2.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Not everyone will have the same experience with battery life. Every user Is going to have different settings that will affect how the phone uses battery consumption. Things like screen brightness, how often widgets/apps update their info, gps, WiFi, Bluetooth, network coverage, browser usage, phone calls/messages, etc.

You can look through the Thunderbolt F&Q thread for tips on how to save battery life.
You can also post your reviews... including battery life in the Thunderbolt First Impressions thread...... Or just start a battery life thread but remember to list what options you are running so we can see what's doing what.

In your settings under..About phone..Battery..Battery usage will display in percentage what's using the battery. One of the biggest drains will always be the display... So turn down your screen brightness to a reasonable amount.
I will be updating the F&Q over the next few days with some more user friendly information.

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
That 4G "always searching" has to be a drain. Especially in a non-LTE area like here. I'd be happy with 3G. You should have waited until April 1st to release the ones we got Verizon.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

Then you should know that over the next couple days the battery life will improve.