Thunderbolt Battery Complaints + Tips/Tricks

KingChicago

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I was able to dropkick my battery to death within 1 hour of purchasing it. Full screen brightness, live background, LTE downloading all sorts of appy goodness, hotspot enabled, music playing, browsing the web. BOOM! Battery nuked! Im surprised it lasted about an hour and barely a 50% INITIAL charge. This actually makes me feel better about its battery life :)

ncbryan

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
When I picked mine up around Noon, it has 60% of a charge. I am NOT in a 4g area, so I am strickly 3g. I would say I have been using it heavily setting up everything and playing with the phone and right now I am at 40%. I would say that so far, I am happy with the battery life.

Bryan

SQurel23

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I was able to dropkick my battery to death within 1 hour of purchasing it. Full screen brightness, live background, LTE downloading all sorts of appy goodness, hotspot enabled, music playing, browsing the web. BOOM! Battery nuked! Im surprised it lasted about an hour and barely a 50% INITIAL charge. This actually makes me feel better about its battery life :)

Just wait until St. Martin kills not only your battery...but destroys your phone!!!

Joelist

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
So is the bad battery life being exagerated? I am a pretty heavy texter, anywhere from 50-100+ a day, I talk on the phone a couple hrs a day, do a little internet browsing and the random game here or there.. FYI I am on 3g no 4g in my area until the end of the year.. Any idea if I would get decent battery life? I am coming from an iphone 4 where I dont have to charge it for a good 2 days if not longer, so if I can come close to making it a whole day without a charge Id have no prob exchanging my iphone. Heck even if I have to charge it once mid day I can deal.

Yes the bad battery life is being exaggerated. Also, the LTE not having a toggle off is not an issue, as it is not continually searching - this was answered in another thread, the only time the auto switching causes battery drain is when you are on the edge of a service area.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Here are a few tips for battery life:

I've done this on my Incredible either remove the HTC Weather/Clock widget since that syncs up all the time OR if you want to keep it go into it and set your area statically. Right now, if its the same as the incredible, the HTC weather/clock widget will activate the radio or the GPS at certain intervals to find your location to update the local then go out to the weather service to get the weather update for that area. I just set the town statically to my home and leave it at that and it just goes out and grabs the weather update for it without having to check what area I am in. I also tell it to do a check not every three hours (which I think it's default) to a longer time like 5 or 6 hours.

Remember, the more active widgets you have on your phone going out to synch the more of a battery drain it's going to be. Don't use Live wallpapers, they also eat up battery power as well. Try not to have 15 email account on the phone also. The more times the phone has to turn the radio on to grab updates, the less battery life you will have.

If your indoors and have WiFi, connect it to the WiFi. If you don't and you don't have a good signal strength for 4G/3G or even 1X, that battery is going to drain while the phone tries to lock onto one of them...you'll even notice your phone getting warm from it doing that. If it connects to WiFi it ignores the Data connection from Verizon and it won't hunt for it as long as the Wifi remains in range and stays connected to it.

Reactions: dajogejr

BuffaloMadMan

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
There is no way to turn 4G off unless you call a number its posted on xda but my battery life is horrible just charged like 2 hours ago to full I'm already down tp 50 percent my Droid x lasted 24 hrs easily grand I'm using this phone a lot because its new but man this is bad....I'm not on 4G either and I have been on WiFi this whole time

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I think you all are having a placebo effect because of Sprint 4g and the evo. I don't see a reason for turning 4g of and if u do feel the need pull the sim card. and if your in a city with out 4g no need for having the sim card in place. going 4g is like going 1x to 3g and vise versus. u can't turn of 3g.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

blackmannx#AC

Panda Motherfrinkin King
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
lol.. if you think the battery is bad now.. Ya should have seen it a couple of months ago. OTA will help as will the batteries getting conditioned. as for the 4g toggle that will be coming...

I would say that its a shame that in order to enjoy the phone all day you almost have to cripple it. Maybe battery tech should advance as fast as CPU tech...

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I think you all are having a placebo effect because of Sprint 4g and the evo. I don't see a reason for turning 4g of and if u do feel the need pull the sim card. and if your in a city with out 4g no need for having the sim card in place. going 4g is like going 1x to 3g and vise versus. u can't turn of 3g.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Uhhh, nope. We're putting both of our T-Bolts through the paces, and just for giggles threw a brand new battery into our trusty Evo so it wouldn't be "conditioned" yet. The Bolts died an hour before we got the "WARNING PLUG YOUR PHONE IN" message on the Evo and are now charging. Again. The Desire/Inspire is still running and has the smallest battery of the 3!

Don't try to dog another carrier because you are basically calling everyone who is having battery issues a liar. The bolt is a good phone, but the battery life leaves plenty to be desired when you use it.

Also, when we pull out our sim cards, we get NO CONNECTION, (no 3G, no 4G, no nothing) so what are you talking about?

mr.fatface

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I picked mine up at about 1 pm with about 40-50% charge from the store. I played with it almost constantly and it just died at around 4:45. I am putting the full charge on it now to see what i get.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac