Couldn't HTC make the back cover any harder to remove?

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
When I had the Bolt I was so afraid I was going to break off the back off attempting to switch batteries. Another reason I always recommend the 2750mAh OEM Extended Battery. ;)

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Coupla things...

First... you guys are worried about breaking the cover, I'm worried about breaking my nail! Geeze!

Second... the penny/dime idea I need to try. I tried a screw driver (twisting) and it put a little mark on the case so I don't want to do that anymore.

Third... seriously, I've found that it is best to put it face down on a flat table and hold it down while you pull the back up with your fingernail. Holding it flat down seems to make it a lot easier than just holding the whole thing in your hands.

-Frank

dizlmonsta

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Here is the trick guys:

Use your index finger nail to start to pry the top where the slit is. You just need to pry it back a tiny bit... then at the SAME TIME use your middle finger (aha!) nail to get in between the phone and the cover just to the right of the slit, now that you've created just a tiny bit of space for it with your index finger. Now slide the middle finger nail over to the CORNER, and pop it off, easily.

Once you try it a couple times you'll find it's easy, even if you have almost no nails (from biting them) like me.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I have yet to take it off myself.

Sent From My Xoom or Thunderbolt, pick one

Then you haven't found the hidden surprise :eek:

I don't think dropping the phone is the best idea to remove the cover. I have noticed it has become a little easier after its been removed a few times, still not simple to remove. I guess that its better this way then if it was to easy and fell off on its own.

kao708

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Used the credit card trick and ended up with blue shavings on my phone from the card. I'll use one that isn't so heavily decorated next time. It worked though so thanks, I was having a terrible time getting the cover off.:)

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
If you are trying to pull the battery for a reboot... have you tried holding both volume buttons and the power button? It reboots the phone for you so you don't have to pull the battery. Just giving you all a heads up.

ShopThenDrop

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Andrew Ruffolo...you are a genius!! I've been struggling off and on all day to get the back cover off to re-boot after my phone shut down and would not turn on. I held the buttons down for a couple of seconds and my phone re-booted and is working great now.
The last time it shut down, after about 24 hours it just turned on magically.
Thanks for the excellent advice!!

:D

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I like the fact that it is a little difficult to pry open, BUT I hate seeing my nails get ruined in the process and I keep them nicely manicured. So am going to try the dime/penney idea.

kentrol72

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I find it easy now but at first it was difficult. No one on here mentioned this but you should have your thumb on the bottom center of the cover as you pull at the top of the cover with your index.

wazup7

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it doesn't just slide off like my OG did, but it's not *that* difficult. I mean you're talking about like an extra 1 or 2 seconds to remove the cover, as opposed to one that you can remove with one hand, like the OG.

Just use the tips in this thread, and you'll get the hang of it. I remove mine once or twice a day to swap batteries, and after you do it a few times, you not only get used to the technique, but it seems to "loosen up" a little bit, so that I have literally no trouble getting at it at this point.

EDIT: And I guess after reading posts on this particular Android site for a few years now, I finally decided to post. LOL. I thought I would have posted here at least once before...but I guess the information on this board is so good that I haven't felt the need. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos