Bottom Button Light Leak?

srmccoy

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I did some silicone work today, and everything worked out fairly well. I managed to get 99% of the leaks gone. There's still one small leak, but now I can only see it from a slight top-down angle (can't see it looking from bottom up like before). Not sure why, but no amount of silicone is fixing that tiny leak.

It's nearly invisible, but you can still see it under lighting, though it doesn't detract from anything.

desk789

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Thunderbolt light leakage

My thunderbolt has light leakage and that "bumper" under the touch buttons on bottom where the light leaks out, it makes a clicking noise when you push it and it keeps on poping out. Do you think the store will replace it? Even though all the t bolts have light leakage?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

jcastag

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
yes, I called cust care today, and they shipped one out to me no prob. I explained the scenario, rep said that is def not right, and ordered it.

when I went to the corp store and explained it, they said they never heard that and said they didnt see any light leakage - i tried to explain to them that you are not going to be able to see it in the brightly lit store

VZW store reps are useless!!!

Reactions: cheeta186 and SPD

chronic illusionz

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Is this normal?

fb068f5f.jpg

SPD

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
^^I believe those lights being visible is normal. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Seems that everyone can see those.

SPD

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
yes, I called cust care today, and they shipped one out to me no prob. I explained the scenario, rep said that is def not right, and ordered it.

when I went to the corp store and explained it, they said they never heard that and said they didnt see any light leakage - i tried to explain to them that you are not going to be able to see it in the brightly lit store

VZW store reps are useless!!!
So once you get the new phone do you just ship your old one back? What if the new one has the same problem, or worse?

brownhornet

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Thing about it is... if it was a first generational issue then I wouldnt have a gripe with it. But the Evo had the exact same issue which means they did nothing to try and fix it.

AndroidXTC

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I just did the black silicone crack fill on mine and it worked beautifully. What I did was use a tooth pick to put about 8 small dabs of silicone across the screen bottom crack, then took a QTip and starting at one end pushed the silicone deep into the crack back and forth a few times. Then simply remove any excess with more QTips and a paper towel. You would never know its there and the light leak is gone and now sealed.

before......... after

Last edited:
Reactions: SoDev and lovy

ISUVetMed

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Has anybody used the silicone fix on the gap at the top of the screen? Id say I have a 2mm gap going all the way across between the top of the screen and the housing of the speaker grill. There is a forum saying a lot of people have it, not sure if its a problem (engadget didnt think so) but curious to know what it looks like after silicone... pics anyone?

AndroidXTC

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Has anybody used the silicone fix on the gap at the top of the screen? Id say I have a 2mm gap going all the way across between the top of the screen and the housing of the speaker grill. There is a forum saying a lot of people have it, not sure if its a problem (engadget didnt think so) but curious to know what it looks like after silicone... pics anyone?

Top or bottom seam it would work on either one.

AndroidXTC

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
light light everywhere is light shining from the phone and bugging me at night..

photo-6-1.jpg

This is how mine was and its truly not a defect as I learned with the Evo its the way htc glues the screen to the frame. If you took the phone apart you would see the top and sides of the screen are held in by a double faced tape. For some reason the bottom of the screen is held in with glue and not the tape. In there gluing process for some reason leaves gaps in the bead of glue hence you see light escaping from the led's beneith. Its really not a defect. HTC musst still feel that way since they really didnt change the way they are setting the screens. I filled the gap beacuse from time to time I swap out screen protectors and use a wet application and I was afraid water might get into the little gaps.

nativi

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Well i tried the silicone fix and wow it was easy and it works. I had gotten like 8 phones all like this, now i can use my phone at nights and not get irritated by the lights. Thanks guy i love the Android people here.

Teelo7

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I was searching the internet for light leak issues on the TB & lo & behold, it brought me right here! lol I was glad to have found this because my Thunderbolt looks exactly like the first pic posted in this thread. In the exact same spot. Mine even has a tiny bit of light leakage around the bottom corner of the screen to the right of the search buttton. It's not bothering me too much, but I wonder why so many of these are like this? Actually, the bottom of the screen was one of the very first things I noticed about this phone when I got it on Monday. I was like...hmmm, that doesn't look real good on a $250 device. Crazy. Anyway, thanks for posting this thread & for easing any pain thinking that my TB was the only one, lol.