Which location services should be on?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I noticed that there are 3 different location services, what are each of them for and which ones normally should be on?

verizon and google assisted locations you can leave them on all the time, as i do they will only be active when you have gps on .. they use different things like towers to triangulate your location and help the gps lock faster

blackmannx#AC

Panda Motherfrinkin King
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
all three should stay on.. does not hurt battery as the device shouldnt be requesting location fix unless your in an app or service that needs it. IE google maps, or 4square...

bmcclure937

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. Good to know. I have always heard to disable GPS to help conserve battery.

So basically even with GPS enabled the radio stays idle until a request occurs...

Chance

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
When I had og Droid my battery went faster with gps on. So I always had it turned off, unless I was using navigation.
So now I will keep mine off.

Oh and on the internet I saw gps symbol pop up a lot. So yea its not idle its being used.
Meaning battery sipping!

For me anyways.

TheBlueMajestic

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I found that a lot of my apps where running in the background, even when I had closed the app, and using my location services to update data. An example is the weather applet. I turned off all of my location services (VZ, GPS, Google) and waited until an app that I wanted to use requested my location. So far, Google location service is the only one that's been required and that was for the weather applet. I think GPS is more for navigation with maps but I use my car's GPS for that. VZ location services seems to be redundant of Google's. VZ really wants people to use their stuff so they can collect/use/sell data just like Google.

MojaveHigh

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I have the standalone turned on and Google services turned on. Do I need the VZ services on or is that just a duplicate of Google?

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante