Free Hotspot Trick?

johndabeast

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I remember reading that one trick from NCX about free hotspot by modifying some address, has anyone tried this yet to see if it works?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Not sure about that method, I know you can root (if you want to) and use the tether app. But I am sure you got the free tether until May. Of course we do need to be careful about anything over 2GB I am sure its not unlimited like the phones data is.

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious to know if Verizon has implemented a feature to "catch" people tethering unofficially as they have done with some other phones in the past (windows mobile comes to mind).

We may not know until after May 15 :S

Jrocker23

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The method doesnt work, the area that you need to modify does not allow access. At least I havent found a way.

The method is
Dial ##778 then hit call

When the pop-up comes up hit Edit Mode

Password is 000000 (6 zeros)

Scroll down and Access the M.IP Default Profile

Click On DUN NAI (this is the area that doesn't let you edit)

Remove DUN from your username. It should look like "yournumber@vzw3g.com" (do not have any spaces in it)

When done hit ok, then hit menu and press on commit changes.

Thats it.

Reactions: Edwill86

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Not sure about that method, I know you can root (if you want to) and use the tether app. But I am sure you got the free tether until May. Of course we do need to be careful about anything over 2GB I am sure its not unlimited like the phones data is.

Yes according GizmoCrunch

The HTC Thunderbolt will be available at Verizon and Best Buy stores with a price tag of $249.99 with a two year contract. However Best Buy stores will be pushing the price to $299.99 from March 20th. On a side note, Verizon will be giving free 2GB data tethering for customers who sign up before May 15th.

johndabeast

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Wow, that kind of sucks that you can't get free hotspot after May 15th, because I tried it yesterday and its so fast. Was getting around 20 mb download and 4 mb upload. How is it faster than my wired internet?!?

you have to call and cancel or else they will begin charging you for it

i don't like such business practices

Do you really? How far in advance do you think we have to?

66dude

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
A thread like this would be useful because I really don't like the idea of having to call VZW to cancel the mobile hotspot closer to May 15th. I'd like to keep it free throughout the rest of its life.

SoraKy

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Verizon said no on the automatic renewal of the hotspot, although I'm making it a point to call on May 15th just to be sure.

superlawyer15

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Wow, that kind of sucks that you can't get free hotspot after May 15th, because I tried it yesterday and its so fast. Was getting around 20 mb download and 4 mb upload. How is it faster than my wired internet?!?

i guess you have to call and cancel b4 may 15th.

i saw it under my account features, it said "mobile hotspot promo"

called and canceled it immediately

Dgomez242@comcast.net

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I was told that Verizon would be sending out a maintenance update on May 15th to take away the free mobile hot spot. They also said it would include a few other features as well (skype maybe?)

I was thinking, if I were to reject the OTA update would I be able to keep the free mobile hotspot? Could Verizon be keeping Skype so that people will update the phone? I'm not sure of any of this but like I said, I asked the rep if I had to remove the mobil hotspot before May 15th and they said an OTA update on the 15th would take it off for me.

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking, if I were to reject the OTA update would I be able to keep the free mobile hotspot?

I'm trying not to sound like a total smart a$$, but do you honestly believe that?

I am 99.99999% certain an OTA will not remove the mobile hotspot.

The ONLY question is whether you have to call in/go online to opt out or if the opting out happens automatically on May 15th.

IF I were a betting man...I'd bet, unless you stated otherwise upon signing the contract, that you will be able to continue use of the mobile hot spot but you'll see the $20 charge on your next bill.

There is absolutely no way on earth VZW will let you keep a wifi hotspot for free unless you have serious issues, work with a csr and arrange it as a type of credit, etc. And even then, it'd probably be a month or two of extended free coverage.

VZW isn't stupid. They charge for a USB air card....the phone is no different in terms of using it as a wifi hotspot.

Just my thoughts...

If there is one thing we've all learned from this phone, the reps don't know what they are talking about.
Apparent by some of them trying to activate the phone the traditional way (*228).

I'm not saying it's their fault...lack of communication and training is the problem.

But the reps aren't knowledgeable in most cases. Clearly this is one of them.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site

You don't. Verizon reps said it just won't renew for everyone, and plus I remember seeing an article on droid-life.com about how there would be an OTA update on that day.

Likely they just remove the free functionality.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying not to sound like a total smart a$$, but do you honestly believe that?

I am 99.99999% certain an OTA will not remove the mobile hotspot.

The ONLY question is whether you have to call in/go online to opt out or if the opting out happens automatically on May 15th.

IF I were a betting man...I'd bet, unless you stated otherwise upon signing the contract, that you will be able to continue use of the mobile hot spot but you'll see the $20 charge on your next bill.

There is absolutely no way on earth VZW will let you keep a wifi hotspot for free unless you have serious issues, work with a csr and arrange it as a type of credit, etc. And even then, it'd probably be a month or two of extended free coverage.

VZW isn't stupid. They charge for a USB air card....the phone is no different in terms of using it as a wifi hotspot.

Just my thoughts...

If there is one thing we've all learned from this phone, the reps don't know what they are talking about.
Apparent by some of them trying to activate the phone the traditional way (*228).

I'm not saying it's their fault...lack of communication and training is the problem.

But the reps aren't knowledgeable in most cases. Clearly this is one of them.

I don't believe it will be a rollover situation. More than likely they will remove the info from your account and you can't access MHS anymore.

They also said pricing is TBD. I don't believe it'll be $20 anymore.

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
$20 is what they currently charge for it.
$29.99 is what they currently charge for unlimited data on 3G/LTE.

If tiered data charges don't kick in by May 15th, I would bet Hotspot stays at $20 for 2GB.

If it does kick in...I 100% agree, you'll probably pay a hair more for it through a phone.

Can anyone that signed a contract tell what it says there?
I simply can't trust what was said by any VZW rep at this point in the game....

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
$20 is what they currently charge for it.
$29.99 is what they currently charge for unlimited data on 3G/LTE.

If tiered data charges don't kick in by May 15th, I would bet Hotspot stays at $20 for 2GB.

If it does kick in...I 100% agree, you'll probably pay a hair more for it through a phone.

Can anyone that signed a contract tell what it says there?
I simply can't trust what was said by any VZW rep at this point in the game....

No because at the current moment they don't have the hotspot pricing on 4G phones. They intentionally left that off.

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Here's the kink in that.
Even though it's an LTE phone, some people might not be in LTE area and want to use it as a hotspot via 3G.

Not saying you're right...but I honestly don't know.
I think once they announce tiered pricing they will included hotspot in that as well. It will not cost as much as a USB modem for data, but it will be more than 20...IMO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress