Help Please.

sundaymoney

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if this is a stupid question but I am new to android.

I just got my Thunderbolt and I keep reading on the forums that you should get rid of task killer.

Ummm what is that and how do i get rid of it?

And sorry again for stupid question #2 but on my BlackBerry I could set my phone to vibrate as many times as I wanted and could customize the phone to vibrate when I got a email or text message and still make the phone ring when someone called so far I have not been able to figure out how do it on the Thunderbolt.

Can you? and how?

Thank You for any response you can give me.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
#1-You probably don't have one, but look for an app with the words task killer or task manager in it.

#2 I don't think you can do that on Android, its pretty much one notification across the board. There might be an app that you can use, but I haven't found one yet.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Sorry if this is a stupid question but I am new to android.

I just got my Thunderbolt and I keep reading on the forums that you should get rid of task killer.

Ummm what is that and how do i get rid of it?

And sorry again for stupid question #2 but on my BlackBerry I could set my phone to vibrate as many times as I wanted and could customize the phone to vibrate when I got a email or text message and still make the phone ring when someone called so far I have not been able to figure out how do it on the Thunderbolt.

Can you? and how?

Thank You for any response you can give me.

Task killer is an app the closes down active app, but on android its not a necessary tool because android was designed to multi task and manage apps on its own and will close the apps as efficiently as possible. if you have it installed you most likely will see a little android in your notification bar. but since you dont know what it is you probably didnt install it...

ill leave #2 to someone else

augusto

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
OK, I'm confused about task killer. So you guys are saying it is not needed?

One thing that I noticed was that there are apps that don't seem to have an easy to find "exit" or "quit" button, so that's one of the reasons I installed it. Just clicking a few apps my wife filled the top bar with little icons and this was the only way to clear that gunk up. I'm not 100% clear on the background task semantics of Android yet.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
OK, I'm confused about task killer. So you guys are saying it is not needed?

One thing that I noticed was that there are apps that don't seem to have an easy to find "exit" or "quit" button, so that's one of the reasons I installed it. Just clicking a few apps my wife filled the top bar with little icons and this was the only way to clear that gunk up. I'm not 100% clear on the background task semantics of Android yet.

No, you do not need a task killer. Android kills off tasks on its own when it needs to free up space. You don't need to exit an app, just hit the home button.

Some apps have a notification icon, but most of them have an option to turn them off, so look for that.

leehblanc

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Handscent SMS will give the option to change tones to music and such on your sd card

Handcent SMS also gives you multiple options as far as vibrating alerts for text messages. In addition to that, it's probably the best SMS app out there (Although some say Chomp... I've never used it, so I can't speak for it)

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Handcent SMS also gives you multiple options as far as vibrating alerts for text messages. In addition to that, it's probably the best SMS app out there (Although some say Chomp... I've never used it, so I can't speak for it)

Handscent SMS is an awesome SMS experience with loads of customizations!

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
QQ The backup assistant...is there anyway to disable it?

reason is I changed #s and now it says "blah blah can not connect because Back up assistant is registered to another device, please contact customer service" but i keeps trying to sync and draining batt.

its almost 2am here so contacting vzw is not going to happen until tm. so i figured id ask you guys. thanks.

leehblanc

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
QQ The backup assistant...is there anyway to disable it?

reason is I changed #s and now it says "blah blah can not connect because Back up assistant is registered to another device, please contact customer service" but i keeps trying to sync and draining batt.

its almost 2am here so contacting vzw is not going to happen until tm. so i figured id ask you guys. thanks.

Have you tried Settings>Accounts & Sync>Backup Assistant? Once you click on Backup Assistant I THINK there is an option to "Remove Account"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz