Dual Notifications with Handcent

quanb24

Jan 31, 2011
www.twitter.com
I have handcent installed and every time i get a text message i get two notifications one from handcent and another from messages. I dont know why I get one from messaged when I disable notification from my stock text message app can anyone help? here what it looks like
am45dd.jpg

291g8ch.jpg

Last edited:

KingChicago

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Here is what I had to do, because I was getting 2 notifications for every email I got, 1 through gmail and 1 through mail. Sooo, I disabled one of the notification services...didnt seem to take. I turned it back on, then off again, then powered down my phone, did a battery pull, and VIOLA! The problem was fixed. I know its complicated and sounds goofy, but for some reason it worked. Give it a try.

quanb24

Jan 31, 2011
www.twitter.com
Here is what I had to do, because I was getting 2 notifications for every email I got, 1 through gmail and 1 through mail. Sooo, I disabled one of the notification services...didnt seem to take. I turned it back on, then off again, then powered down my phone, did a battery pull, and VIOLA! The problem was fixed. I know its complicated and sounds goofy, but for some reason it worked. Give it a try.

Tried that still didn't work ugh!

sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

DawnGP143

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
I uninstalled Handcent on my droid x because of that

You don't have to do that. Go into the stock messaging app...the one called Messages. From there, hit Menu>Settings>and then UNCHECK the "Received Notification" box. That will make it so you don't get two notifications.

But now, don't do that until you have reinstalled Handcent or you won't get any messages.
:)

iLLusive

Vzw Staff
May 11, 2010
Visit site
You don't have to do that. Go into the stock messaging app...the one called Messages. From there, hit Menu>Settings>and then UNCHECK the "Received Notification" box. That will make it so you don't get two notifications.

But now, don't do that until you have reinstalled Handcent or you won't get any messages.
:)
All great advice and truthful expect last line you are turning off a "Notification" that you have an awaiting text message not the messages themself. You will see receive messages it is much more complex to turn off just getting text messages then something as simple as turning of notifications for them.

quanb24

Jan 31, 2011
www.twitter.com
All great advice and truthful expect last line you are turning off a "Notification" that you have an awaiting text message not the messages themself. You will see receive messages it is much more complex to turn off just getting text messages then something as simple as turning of notifications for them.

Yeah what he said lol cas I did that unchecked notification thing and I STILL get the message ughhh how do I turn that off

sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

dkoss

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Did you try unche
cking the auto-retrieve box in the messages. I haven't installed handcent yet, let me know if that works.

quanb24

Jan 31, 2011
www.twitter.com
Did you try unche
cking the auto-retrieve box in the messages. I haven't installed handcent yet, let me know if that works.

tried that too lol everything is unchecked in the stock text message app i dont think its that its whatever iLLusive was talking about the "awaiting text message" notification i need that to stop. I even unstalled handcent and text it I STILL get 2 notifications

i found this on other fourms but i cant try it seeing how we dont have root or any type of backup method yet

" Renamed /system/app/conversations.apk to conversations.bak. reboot and fixed."

Last edited:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
The standard answer to this (dual notifications with Handcent) on most Android phones has been to do this:

1. Launch the "messaging" ,click "menu" button on the phone
2. Select "settings" menu item and disable "Notifications"

Sense enabled HTC phones are different because HTC entirely replaces the stock messaging application. According to their manual, you must do the following to turn them off:

On the All messages screen, press MENU and then tap Settings. You’ll
find several groups of settings. Turn off sent and received notifications.

My assumption is that you've done this already. If you have, and you are still receiving 2 notifications, then there's a good chance there's an incompatibility issue between HTC messaging and Handcent. It's happened in the past, and usually Handcent fixes these issues fast. I have interacted with their support group, in the past, and they have always been good: help@handcent.com.

You could also try GoSMS, which is almost a carbon copy of Handcent, once it's configured properly.

Last, but not least, I will have this phone by 3 today. Handcent is always the first thing I install on every new phone, so I will be checking this out myself.

P.S. -- I would get rid of that task killer, or this won't be the last issue you have with the TB.

Hobbessti

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
why do you say that cory? my friends with androids say that you NEED the task killer?
Corry is right, In my opinion and experience they cause more issues then they solve, Had one on the OG Droid and it was never the same. Android by it's very nature is designed around multi-tasking. It will kill off running unused applications as space is needed. Just my two cents.

quanb24

Jan 31, 2011
www.twitter.com
thanks for trying to help guys but I dont think handcent is causing the issue now. After trying more things look at this and i uninstall handcent. this is with the stock text messaging app and it still sends 2 notifications. I only have one email account set up and thats my gmail and thats not the gmail notification icon.

jfi1sl.jpg

2mdh0s8.jpg

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance