What I miss ? Storm to Thunderbolt Journey

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
This isn’t a list of apps that I am missing, or a piece that tries to show pros and cons. Let me state up-front that I love this phone and it is 100% what I expected since I did my research. Also, there may be solutions that I have not yet found to some of the issues I am facing, suggestions are welcome. This is a list of things, that in my 1st 24 hours with the phone, I have missed. Things that I think would make the phone better for anyone.

- I don’t like that Gmail has its own email app that works better than the one included with sense. I do not like seeing my Gmail separate, with a separate UI, but I know it is push while the sense app is polling for email. I understand that I can add Gmail to the sense app, but then I am downloading it twice, and not really pushing (even with Activesync). I also understand that I can route all of my email through Gmail, but I do not want to send my company email through Gmail. My corporate emails are IMAP, not Exchange Activesync, so no easy way to get push that I know of.

- I miss my “Take it out of the holster and it is right there for you” way that the blackberry has. Now I pick it up, press a button swipe and open notifications. The inverse is true. I likes being able to put the phone in the case and know it was in the right mode. Now I see it change screens as I touch it randomly making me pull it out again and lock it first. I don’t think I used the lock button on my storm more that once or twice in over 2 years.

- Settings are everywhere. The menu button is context sensitive, so I never know where to look for setting. Time will make me an expert, but I have done a lot of poking around. Also confusing that sometimes the menu button does nothing. It should say cancel at a minimum so you know you have pressed it.

- I work next to my pc for much of the day. When I get an email on the PC I am used to my blackberry pinging me right before or right after. When I got the blackberry I thought a good app would be one that silenced it on my desk (WiFi range or Bluetooth, etc.) but over the years I have been conditioned to expect it almost simultaneously (push email). I probably don’t need to know within milliseconds, but I drool when the bell goes off, and it is hard to break that habit.

- The battery icon has so little information that it just makes you afraid so I end up going into about phone and checking it which wastes more power – Percent remaining would be good! I understand that there is an app for that.

- Google voice. Who would have thought that a Google phone would not have a superior implementation? I may be missing something but, on my blackberry I would pick a contact and could choose how to contact them “call” or “call using Google Voice.” The implementation here seems to be use Google voice all of the time, Ask or never. When you choose ask you get the extra step of needing to select Google voice or other after you have selected a contact. This is annoying enough that I will turn it off. Same for SMS.

- Lots of Apps that do the same thing, and lots of integration, but none of it working together. Initially I used the HTC apps to load up Twitter and Facebook, then I went to the native apps to test them out. I now have double entries in my contacts as if my users have two facebook pages. Maybe blackberry didn’t give you as many integrated choices, so I chose the official application and lived with it. I also found that I needed to link more contacts to the various services here than on my blackberry (Facebook primarily). Though it did a great job of linking my facebook list with my facebook for HTC sense list. This should really be a facebook contact, and pick the client you want to launch.

- The LED is not a bright red blinking laser beam that I can see across the room alerting me that I immediately need to satisfy my craving for communication. I love the LED in the grille, but it hasn’t really told me much more than you are charging and you are charged. It is a more subtle approach.

- I would like to integrate SMS and IM into my universal inbox. I was wary of this when I first got my bbery, but I grew to like the approach of one place to look.

- Battery life – a work in progress. I think in part it comes down to “You have all of these new things you can do that will drain your battery that you couldn’t do before, now don’t do them!”

- One more, Vibrate then ring. I used to set my phone to vibrate first so i could take it out of the holster and silence it. They it would ring so if i want wearing it i would hear it. Another thread prompted me on this on http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...-led-vibrate-notifiy-miss-berrybuz-swype.html
Now off to play angry birds! I love this phone. Anyone else with an immediate first blush reaction out there?

Last edited:

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I have already come to the conclusion that this phone will not do email as efficiently as my BB does.
At the end of the day, if it does email sufficiently enough (don't know yet) and does everything else much better (speed, web, apps, etc.) I will settle.

IMO...
Both Apple and Android have a ways to go before they are BlackBerrry killers for company/business use and email.

For web, games, pictures, etc., they are already leaps and bounds ahead.

Nice write up.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a Storm, I'm actually happy about not having instant push email. I mean I usually don't even bother checking my email unless I'm at work. If someone truly wants to get a hold of me, they'll call or text. It was a pain in the butt for me to go in and delete all of the random e-mails I would get all the time. I would even read them, I would just select them all and delete them from my Storm.

While it's pretty cool that Facebook for Android has Facebook Chat, I think BlackBerry integrated Facebook a little better with the notification system. That's one thing I think I will miss about the Storm.

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I have already come to the conclusion that this phone will not do email as efficiently as my BB does.
At the end of the day, if it does email sufficiently enough (don't know yet) and does everything else much better (speed, web, apps, etc.) I will settle.

IMO...
Both Apple and Android have a ways to go before they are BlackBerrry killers for company/business use and email.

For web, games, pictures, etc., they are already leaps and bounds ahead.

Nice write up.
The email side was my big worry. I know it is good enough, but i miss having great. In the end as you say the phone is so much better in other ways that it tipped the balance for me

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the write-up.

As a current Palm Pre user evaluating the move to Android, these threads are enlightening.

-Suntan

aupharmd2011

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
It's what you're used to...it will take time getting used to a new device

It's like switching from chevy to ford....yea it does the same thing just a little different than what you're used to

I think we are all a little resistant to change somewhat

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
As a current BlackBerry user myself, the email is my biggest concern as the OP has described. I really rely on having (almost) instant email, and through multiple accounts. I have heard that some people prefer to use 3rd party apps such as K9 for email, particularly former BlackBerry users.

Does anyone have any experience with K9 or similar apps and are former BlackBerry users such that they can compare the email services between the two platforms?

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
OP your observations are very astute. i agree with you completely, you should send your list to goole and HTC so maybe they could incorporate the ideas into future iterations

J-Dam

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Coming from the Storm i found myself really missing it at first. The major con for me is i find myself bumping things by mistake and going places/changing things i didn't intend to. Not a deal breaker. I also miss the notification superiority that BB has. However, with my Storm i got to the point where it became a pain in the bum. Found myself constantly reaching for my device everytime a sound went off to delete unwanted email and such. Also grew tired of useless Facebook notifications. Just wanted to get away from technology and take a long walk in the woods, away from everything. With my new phone this is no longer the case. Now, when i get bored i just reach for my Thunderbolt and check at my leisure.

ShawnMeds23

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
wierd. My work and gmail are ten times quicker on my droid incredible compared to my storm one. On my original storm it would take couple minutes to get email. With the incredible it is just about instant.

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I came to android from a storm 1 to an incredible and the only thing I missed was facebook notifications. The facebook app is making strides and is way better now than it was a year ago.

There is a solution for the battery info you are looking for, not only does HTC have a new battery widget for sense, but there are countless apps in the market that do the same. Thats the great thing about android, choices..

The Thunderbolt so far (minus the SMS glitches) has been a huge step up even from my incredible..

indymeh

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I miss bedside mode the most although I understand there is an app that does this to some extent. If anyone has a suggestion please pm me! Also need a good barcode scanner and an LED light customization app. I with the above poster about push email, I don't miss the constant buzz and obsession with checking my phone every 2 seconds. It annoyed they h*ll out of my wife too.

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I miss bedside mode the most although I understand there is an app that does this to some extent. If anyone has a suggestion please pm me! Also need a good barcode scanner and an LED light customization app. I with the above poster about push email, I don't miss the constant buzz and obsession with checking my phone every 2 seconds. It annoyed they h*ll out of my wife too.

I found a barcode scanner in the marketplace - all i have scanned is the thunderbolt box :) but it identified it properly

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Check your google voice settings. You can change it to prompt you before every call...

Thanks, I saw that. The difference is subtle, but this adds a new step. Bberry. pick a contact, then pick how to contact them. Sense/android, pick a contact, pick how to contact them, then pick whether or not to use google voice. I do it rarely since i usually dial from my own number, so it isnt worth the constant nag box, but when i do use it i will need to enable it in the google voice app then shut it off when i am done.

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
In case you haven't read it yet, this article we posted, has a lot of good info for former BB users. I'm not saying it solves all your problems, but it's definitely a good read.

Thanks Cory. I read that article which is one big reason why I am not surprised by what I am finding and why my transition went so smoothly! The stuff I have here is more about the muscle memory of doing things that you build up, and the need to retrain all of those habits.

indymeh

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Cory. I read that article which is one big reason why I am not surprised by what I am finding and why my transition went so smoothly! The stuff I have here is more about the muscle memory of doing things that you build up, and the need to retrain all of those habits.

Having the same problem, time will take care of it though. I also read that article and its a good one!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma