Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What I miss Storm to Thunderbolt Journey

This isn’t a list of apps that I am missing, or a piece that tries to show pros and cons. Let me state up-front that I love this phone and it is 100% what I expected since I did my research. Also, there may be solutions that I have not yet found to some of the issues I am facing, suggestions are welcome. This is a list of things, that in my 1st 24 hours with the phone, I have missed. Things that I think would make the phone better for anyone.

- I don’t like that Gmail has its own email app that works better than the one included with sense. I do not like seeing my Gmail separate, with a separate UI, but I know it is push while the sense app is polling for email. I understand that I can add Gmail to the sense app, but then I am downloading it twice, and not really pushing (even with Activesync). I also understand that I can route all of my email through Gmail, but I do not want to send my company email through Gmail. My corporate emails are IMAP, not Exchange Activesync, so no easy way to get push that I know of.

- I miss my “Take it out of the holster and it is right there for you” way that the blackberry has. Now I pick it up, press a button swipe and open notifications. The inverse is true. I likes being able to put the phone in the case and know it was in the right mode. Now I see it change screens as I touch it randomly making me pull it out again and lock it first. I don’t think I used the lock button on my storm more that once or twice in over 2 years.

- Settings are everywhere. The menu button is context sensitive, so I never know where to look for setting. Time will make me an expert, but I have done a lot of poking around. Also confusing that sometimes the menu button does nothing. It should say cancel at a minimum so you know you have pressed it.

- I work next to my pc for much of the day. When I get an email on the PC I am used to my blackberry pinging me right before or right after. When I got the blackberry I thought a good app would be one that silenced it on my desk (WiFi range or Bluetooth, etc.) but over the years I have been conditioned to expect it almost simultaneously (push email). I probably don’t need to know within milliseconds, but I drool when the bell goes off, and it is hard to break that habit.

- The battery icon has so little information that it just makes you afraid so I end up going into about phone and checking it which wastes more power – Percent remaining would be good! I understand that there is an app for that.

- Google voice. Who would have thought that a Google phone would not have a superior implementation? I may be missing something but, on my blackberry I would pick a contact and could choose how to contact them “call” or “call using Google Voice.” The implementation here seems to be use Google voice all of the time, Ask or never. When you choose ask you get the extra step of needing to select Google voice or other after you have selected a contact. This is annoying enough that I will turn it off. Same for SMS.

- Lots of Apps that do the same thing, and lots of integration, but none of it working together. Initially I used the HTC apps to load up Twitter and Facebook, then I went to the native apps to test them out. I now have double entries in my contacts as if my users have two facebook pages. Maybe blackberry didn’t give you as many integrated choices, so I chose the official application and lived with it. I also found that I needed to link more contacts to the various services here than on my blackberry (Facebook primarily). Though it did a great job of linking my facebook list with my facebook for HTC sense list. This should really be a facebook contact, and pick the client you want to launch.

- The LED is not a bright red blinking laser beam that I can see across the room alerting me that I immediately need to satisfy my craving for communication. I love the LED in the grille, but it hasn’t really told me much more than you are charging and you are charged. It is a more subtle approach.

- I would like to integrate SMS and IM into my universal inbox. I was wary of this when I first got my bbery, but I grew to like the approach of one place to look.

- Battery life – a work in progress. I think in part it comes down to “You have all of these new things you can do that will drain your battery that you couldn’t do before, now don’t do them!”

- One more, Vibrate then ring. I used to set my phone to vibrate first so i could take it out of the holster and silence it. They it would ring so if i want wearing it i would hear it. Another thread prompted me on this on http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-...buz-swype.html
    Now off to play angry birds! I love this phone. Anyone else with an immediate first blush reaction out there?
    Last edited by realitydigg; 03-18-2011 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Updated one more issue

Global Posts
    581 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF 1.6.3 Remix/2.4 Lean

I have already come to the conclusion that this phone will not do email as efficiently as my BB does.
    At the end of the day, if it does email sufficiently enough (don't know yet) and does everything else much better (speed, web, apps, etc.) I will settle.

IMO...
    Both Apple and Android have a ways to go before they are BlackBerrry killers for company/business use and email.

For web, games, pictures, etc., they are already leaps and bounds ahead.

Nice write up.

Coming from a Storm, I'm actually happy about not having instant push email. I mean I usually don't even bother checking my email unless I'm at work. If someone truly wants to get a hold of me, they'll call or text. It was a pain in the **** for me to go in and delete all of the random e-mails I would get all the time. I would even read them, I would just select them all and delete them from my Storm.

While it's pretty cool that Facebook for Android has Facebook Chat, I think BlackBerry integrated Facebook a little better with the notification system. That's one thing I think I will miss about the Storm.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by dajogejr View Post
    I have already come to the conclusion that this phone will not do email as efficiently as my BB does.
    At the end of the day, if it does email sufficiently enough (don't know yet) and does everything else much better (speed, web, apps, etc.) I will settle.

IMO...
    Both Apple and Android have a ways to go before they are BlackBerrry killers for company/business use and email.

For web, games, pictures, etc., they are already leaps and bounds ahead.

Nice write up.
    The email side was my big worry. I know it is good enough, but i miss having great. In the end as you say the phone is so much better in other ways that it tipped the balance for me

Thanks for the write-up.

As a current Palm Pre user evaluating the move to Android, these threads are enlightening.

-Suntan

It's what you're used to...it will take time getting used to a new device

It's like switching from chevy to ford....yea it does the same thing just a little different than what you're used to

I think we are all a little resistant to change somewhat

Global Posts
    617 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF Forever 1.10

Taking notes. Thanks for the observations.
    "Thunderbolt, Thunderbolt, Thunderbolt Hoooooooo!" - Lion-O

ROM
    CNA 3.0/leanKernel 4.2.0

As a current BlackBerry user myself, the email is my biggest concern as the OP has described. I really rely on having (almost) instant email, and through multiple accounts. I have heard that some people prefer to use 3rd party apps such as K9 for email, particularly former BlackBerry users.

Does anyone have any experience with K9 or similar apps and are former BlackBerry users such that they can compare the email services between the two platforms?
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,147 Global Posts

OP your observations are very astute. i agree with you completely, you should send your list to goole and HTC so maybe they could incorporate the ideas into future iterations

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts

Coming from the Storm i found myself really missing it at first. The major con for me is i find myself bumping things by mistake and going places/changing things i didn't intend to. Not a deal breaker. I also miss the notification superiority that BB has. However, with my Storm i got to the point where it became a pain in the bum. Found myself constantly reaching for my device everytime a sound went off to delete unwanted email and such. Also grew tired of useless Facebook notifications. Just wanted to get away from technology and take a long walk in the woods, away from everything. With my new phone this is no longer the case. Now, when i get bored i just reach for my Thunderbolt and check at my leisure.

I also came from Blackberry(Oct 09) and at first I did not like the email on
    my og Droid. I now like how Android does email over Blackberry.

ROM
    Bamf on HTC. Stock prime

wierd. My work and gmail are ten times quicker on my droid incredible compared to my storm one. On my original storm it would take couple minutes to get email. With the incredible it is just about instant.

ROM
    Bamf on HTC. Stock prime

Check your google voice settings. You can change it to prompt you before every call...

I came to android from a storm 1 to an incredible and the only thing I missed was facebook notifications. The facebook app is making strides and is way better now than it was a year ago.

There is a solution for the battery info you are looking for, not only does HTC have a new battery widget for sense, but there are countless apps in the market that do the same. Thats the great thing about android, choices..

The Thunderbolt so far (minus the SMS glitches) has been a huge step up even from my incredible..
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

In case you haven't read it yet, this article we posted, has a lot of good info for former BB users. I'm not saying it solves all your problems, but it's definitely a good read.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

I miss bedside mode the most although I understand there is an app that does this to some extent. If anyone has a suggestion please pm me! Also need a good barcode scanner and an LED light customization app. I with the above poster about push email, I don't miss the constant buzz and obsession with checking my phone every 2 seconds. It annoyed they h*ll out of my wife too.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by indymeh View Post
    I miss bedside mode the most although I understand there is an app that does this to some extent. If anyone has a suggestion please pm me! Also need a good barcode scanner and an LED light customization app. I with the above poster about push email, I don't miss the constant buzz and obsession with checking my phone every 2 seconds. It annoyed they h*ll out of my wife too.
    I found a barcode scanner in the marketplace - all i have scanned is the thunderbolt box but it identified it properly
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMeds23 View Post
    Check your google voice settings. You can change it to prompt you before every call...
    Thanks, I saw that. The difference is subtle, but this adds a new step. Bberry. pick a contact, then pick how to contact them. Sense/android, pick a contact, pick how to contact them, then pick whether or not to use google voice. I do it rarely since i usually dial from my own number, so it isnt worth the constant nag box, but when i do use it i will need to enable it in the google voice app then shut it off when i am done.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    In case you haven't read it yet, this article we posted, has a lot of good info for former BB users. I'm not saying it solves all your problems, but it's definitely a good read.
    Thanks Cory. I read that article which is one big reason why I am not surprised by what I am finding and why my transition went so smoothly! The stuff I have here is more about the muscle memory of doing things that you build up, and the need to retrain all of those habits.

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by realitydigg View Post
    Thanks Cory. I read that article which is one big reason why I am not surprised by what I am finding and why my transition went so smoothly! The stuff I have here is more about the muscle memory of doing things that you build up, and the need to retrain all of those habits.
    Having the same problem, time will take care of it though. I also read that article and its a good one!

Two comments:

1) download k-9 mail. You can add gmail and set up a universal inbox. Like this much better than the sense email app

2) for led customization use noled instead. Uses icons that flash on your screen.
    Thanked by:
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

K-9 looks interesting. Once i get a baseline and understand the pros and cons of what is here I'll give it a try. Thanks
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DolfanCole View Post
    As a current BlackBerry user myself, the email is my biggest concern as the OP has described. I really rely on having (almost) instant email, and through multiple accounts. I have heard that some people prefer to use 3rd party apps such as K9 for email, particularly former BlackBerry users.

Does anyone have any experience with K9 or similar apps and are former BlackBerry users such that they can compare the email services between the two platforms?
    When I was on BB and was deciding to switch to Android, email was my biggest concern. The day I found out about K9 Mail is when I decided to finally switch over. It has a lot more features and options then the stock email app and I was very happy with it. I use it for my imap and pop3 accounts. For Gmail I obviously use the Gmail app which I have no problem with... its grown on me over the year and actually prefer using it over K9. I have a few of my accounts forwarded to new Gmail accounts I made and the rest of my email accounts I use K9. It all comes down to what your needs are. "Touchdown" is another app for Exchange accounts that some people prefer over K9.

As far as speed in receiving notifications.... I was using my old BB as a backup phone for the past month and kept it right next to my Galaxy Tab. Email notifications between my BlackBerry and Android were seconds of a difference. I would say between 2-5 seconds between the two devices.... so no problems there.

Also if you're looking for a better SMS app. "Handcent" works great.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts

So glad I found this thread. I've carried the Storm 2 for the past year and found it incredibly easy to use. I picked up the TB yesterday as the Android platform is impossible to ignore now.

The email conversion was pretty easy as I simply created a rule on the corporate Notes server to forward to a new gmail account (didn't want it cluttering up my personal gmail). Now I just need to figure out how to integrate my personal gmail calendar with my corporate Notes calendar and I'll never look back. I do have the option of connecting to the corporate Good server but everyone that carries Droids complains that Good is a battery killer.

@realitydigg

thanks for linking to my post. with a heavy heart, i just cancelled my Tbolt and went back to my S2. The internet was amazingly fast, but the lack of Ring Then Vibrate, notifications, and the lack of unified email was enough of a deal breaker for me. I was recommended NOLED which was prob the next best thing to BerryBuzz. I was frustrated with Swype not working and doign all the 3rd party work-arounds.

I think the Tbolt is a great phone, but not the one for my specific needs. I'm still fascinated by the droid OS and may look at the Bionic in the future.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast