What do the security warnings mean when you install an app?

lovy

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Why does some apps request that you turnoff your security settings so that it can accept third party apps like BitBop? I wanted to download it but was afraid. Is this normal and alright to do?

900rider

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
It only says that if you try to download an app from somewhere other than the android market. As long as you know the app you are downloading is safe, then you should be all set.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Why does some apps request that you turnoff your security settings so that it can accept third party apps like BitBop? I wanted to download it but was afraid. Is this normal and alright to do?

apps can re-direct you to download external data from sites other than the android market. in order to do so, your security settings must be disabled. the phone only trusts the Android Market & requires that you over-ride that to allow the downloading of content from 3rd party sites. it's built in to the OS so users don't go downloading everything without second thinking it.

it depends on the app maker--if it's only gotten a few downloads with no reviews, i'd stay away from downloading anything. read the app reviews & see if anyone else has had bad experiences from downloading 3rd party DLC

lovy

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
apps can re-direct you to download external data from sites other than the android market. in order to do so, your security settings must be disabled. the phone only trusts the Android Market & requires that you over-ride that to allow the downloading of content from 3rd party sites. it's built in to the OS so users don't go downloading everything without second thinking it.

it depends on the app maker--if it's only gotten a few downloads with no reviews, i'd stay away from downloading anything. read the app reviews & see if anyone else has had bad experiences from downloading 3rd party DLC
Its Bitbop that was given to us on our phones.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
This article provides a very detailed answer, but here's a snippet that specifically answers your question.

The key point in Android's design when it comes to security is the "secure sandbox." No application by default has permission to perform any operation that would impact another application, the operating system, or the user. This includes things like writing or reading private data (contacts, e-mails, the homescreen, etc.), network access, keeping the phone awake, or reading/writing to another applications files.

To allow an application to interfere with another application's sandbox, access private data, or perform any function not directly related to the application itself, it must explicitly declare permission for anything not provided by its own sandbox. These permissions are declared up front before the app is installed, and can not be changed after installation.

Next time you install an app from the Market, take a minute and read to see exactly what the app can and can not do. It will never be able to do more than what's listed. Applications that can access data that should be private and secure let you know when they are first ran by prompting you. Everyone who has installed a third party keyboard has seen this.

That said, I'm sure nobody readys the warning and immediately clicks the OK button to get rid of them. Myself included.

In the case of Bitbop, it's not actually installed on the phone is it? I think it's just an icon that directs you to download it, which would cause the messages to popup when you actually install it.

Reactions: obidos

obidos

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
these are what was preloaded on my TB:

Adobe Reader
Bitpop (?)
Blockbuster
City ID (?)
Footbprints (?)
Friend Stream (?)
Gmail
Google Search
Kindle
Latitude (?)
Lets Golf 2
Peep (?)
Quickoffice (?)
Rhapsody
Rock Band
Slacker (?)
Talk (?)
TuneWiki (?)
Weather
YouTube

I excluded stuff like calculator, calendar, camera, etc...