Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
Like Tree2Likes

Default Re: Thunderbolt Problems & Solutions Tracker + Battery Tips (4/5

I'm in the same catagory as the happy campers. This update has dramatically improved my battery life as well as cleaned up GPS. Overall this update has been solid.

Default Out of Space Error

I'm getting an error all the time now that says "Out of space" "<filename> could not be downloaded. Free up some space on your phone and try again."

Both my main and SD memory areas have lots of space (GBs).
    This seems to be causing Mail to FC when I try to accept an attached photo in an email.
    Other instances occur on attempted web downloads of jpgs, pdfs, I haven't seen a pattern.

Please give me any advice on how to troubleshoot this.

Thank you,

Default Re: Thunderbolt Problems & Solutions Tracker + Battery Tips (4/5

Today, I am getting a new variant. I open Mail and it tries to update and then,

"Alert There is not enough free memory to download this mail."

WTF!? This happens after a reboot, so no other things have launched as far as I know.

I'm stock MR2. If I go to Running services I have "Avail:124MB+244MB in 56"

Thanks for any help.

Default Re: signs of a virus?

So, I got some advice from VZW after asking on Twitter:
    Re-format my SD and Reset the phone.

So, I copied my SD contents and started looking at them. I found some disturbing (to me) things in my Downloads folder.

First, several documents that were originally email attachments had some how sprouted a couple THOUSAND copies of themselves. Literally, 2 - 3 thousand copies of a word doc or a pdf. They all had date-time stamps appended to the filename.
    Then, I also found over 1700 "token#############" files which my Mac calls Unix Executable files.

Are these signs of a virus?
    I have had Lookout for a while. Is there another way to scan for a source of trouble?

Any help appreciated.

Default Re: Thunderbolt Problems & Solutions Tracker + Battery Tips 8/13/

RE: BUMP Charging.

All Lithium Ion batteries 'should' contain a chip that prevents overcharging. Bump charging seems to me to be useless since it will either A) not charge past a certain level no matter what you do, or B) EXPLODE!!! if it's overcharged past a certain level. Neither is a good result.

It is recommended by the OEM to condition the battery pack when first used by charging fully and using it until it shuts down. [the phone] then repeat two or three times. After that any subsequent charges should not affect performance. The MFGRs recommend carrying a full charge whenever possible, so top off as often as you like. I charge my phone every day and I still get the same time from the battery as when practically new.

Global Posts
    516 Global Posts

I have an extended battery and when I bump charged it once I got 40ish hours before I put it on at 30ish percent. The next day I only charged it to 100% and pulled it off before bed and by morning I had dropped 17%. Say what ya will but seems bumping it a few times gives me a longer lasting charge. I know when I bump charged it and pulled it off before bed when I woke up the next morning I was still sitting at 100%. Today it was at 88% when I started charging it and it had been off charger for almost 22 hours.

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF Forever 1.11

My husband's Bolt is stock and mine is rooted with Das BAMF P3. Neither phone will keep a ringtone set even if it's one that came with the phone. Is there a fix for this? Mine are downloads and he just uses stock ones, but after they're set, they don't stay that way. Mine will play wrong ringtone for wrong person at times. I've renamed the files and moved them to the media folder on the sdcard. Thanks!

Global Posts
    1,562 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

HI, I own an HTC Thunderbolt since it's launch. I rooted my phone by using auto root from AC then dabbled little bit with CM7. In the end I went back to stock root, so I am pretty familiar with android but no expert. Now I haven't done anything new to my phone for over several month but for past few weeks my phone subtlety and randomly has performance issues.

Performance Issues:
    Screen Freeze for second in midway through command seems only when opening app drawer or app or cycling through open and recent apps.
    Non-responsive to commands
    Delay or lag in touch or button commands
    Lack speed when opening or loading apps.

Benchmark tests all seems fine except linpack is at 5 or 6 mflops at 13 to 30 seconds.

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated?

where is the 8/13/11 update at??????
    To live and die in L.A.
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly818 View Post
    where is the 8/13/11 update at??????
    Nothing special added...... Removed some problems and solutions that were still listed from when the phone was first released that have been fixed with software upgrades since then.

Need a little help if you get a chance... I can't seem to find the post that describes how to remove the caps lock on text msgs's, I am not selecting it and it comes automatically, I tried the keyboard settings, but I am simply not aware of all the features that this phone has, thanks
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bionicmastablasta View Post
    Need a little help if you get a chance... I can't seem to find the post that describes how to remove the caps lock on text msgs's, I am not selecting it and it comes automatically, I tried the keyboard settings, but I am simply not aware of all the features that this phone has, thanks
    Well double tapping the shift key turns on/off the caps lock. It shouldn't be automatically turning on by itself though. Try rebooting the phone.. it might just be a glitch.
    Is it possible you're accidently double tapping the shift key and not realizing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Warrior View Post
    Nothing special added...... Removed some problems and solutions that were still listed from when the phone was first released that have been fixed with software upgrades since then.
    Thank you.
    To live and die in L.A.

ROM
    Stock

I'm not convinced the battery consumption charts are all that accurate (in terms of what is using the battery). I have the HTC extended battery, and it always shows that most of the battery is consumed by the screen (around 60-70% when I really work hard to manage the screen, 80-85% or so if I just leave it bright).

Even with the extended battery and conservative usage, I've been getting down to about 50% battery by noon to 1PM after unplugging the battery at 6AM, and putting the phone on the charger for a while either sometime during the day or sometime in the evening or I'd be looking at a low-battery warning by 11PM.

Monday, my company installed a cell repeater so I finally get a stable signal at my desk. No more toggling between 1x and 3G and no signal all day for me any more! Yippee!

But, more importantly, battery life has changed far more than I thought possible. I unplugged the phone at 6AM, it's 1:15PM, and I'm sitting pretty at 76% battery charge.

The battery use graph still shows the same percentage going to the screen that I'd expect from use before the repeater got put in, though. About 65%. None of the other percentages have moved any significant amount in any way. Yet I've got TWICE the battery left compared to when I did not get decent signal and the phone struggled with the radios all day, so I can only assume the radio was pulling a LOT of power that wasn't being reported on the graphs.

So apparently the radio usage doesn't really get tracked, or at least doesn't get tracked accurately.

Maybe everyone else knew this, but it came as a surprise to me and I thought it might be a useful tidbit for others.

Anyway, managing the brightness of that big, bold, beautiful screen is still probably the #1 thing you can do to extend battery life. But keeping the phone in areas where it gets solid signal seems to be pretty high up on the charts, too.
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

@natehoy
    As far as the screen goes with battery percentage.... it will always be at the top of the list and most likely first. The phone uses the screen for everything. Under certain circumstances.... say if you made a very long phone call or you were listining to music... then the screen would be off during that time and you would see Dialer or Music App at the top of the list. Its a percentage out of 100 (obviously).... so even if your phone is fully charged and you pull it off of the charger, the screen will still average around 60-80% of the battery even though it was only on for a few
    minutes. As the day goes on... other apps will use up that percentage and lower the number of the screen.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Warrior View Post
    @natehoy
    As far as the screen goes with battery percentage.... it will always be at the top of the list and most likely first. The phone uses the screen for everything. Under certain circumstances.... say if you made a very long phone call or you were listining to music... then the screen would be off during that time and you would see Dialer or Music App at the top of the list. Its a percentage out of 100 (obviously).... so even if your phone is fully charged and you pull it off of the charger, the screen will still average around 60-80% of the battery even though it was only on for a few
    minutes. As the day goes on... other apps will use up that percentage and lower the number of the screen.
    Agreed, it just seemed odd that having a better signal would nearly double my battery life, while not affecting the measured percentages in any noticeable way. I mean, it's only a sample of two days and maybe I shouldn't put much stock in it, but it's a significant enough difference that I'm wondering if the battery monitor reads actual radio usage at all (or even if it can).

I'm beginning to understand the differences in claims of battery life. In a spot where the phone is constantly struggling to maintain a -115db signal, the phone dies almost twice as quickly as when it's sitting pretty at -85db, but still blames most of it on the screen (which is a major battery hog, agreed, it's the price we pay for a massive screen).
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Agreed... These screens eat up a lot of juice. That and the 4G. One thing I notice with the Droid Bionics screen (PenTile) is that it does a good job of conserving the power used by the screen. On the other hand the screen looks like crap. The few days I spent with the Bionic, the screen was never on the top of the list and would only use around 40%.... where on the same day the Thunderbolt would be on top of the list at around 70%.

Edit: pics not showing.
    Last edited by Cyber Warrior; 10-19-2011 at 09:34 PM.

I don't know if it makes much of a difference, but in Calendar settings-Calendars, I saw that the PC sync option was enabled by default. I don't sync my TB with my PC, so I shut it off. Seems to help a bit. I have the Gingerbread update, no root.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    The following settings, applications, usage levels, and recommendations, will directly affect how much power the TB consumes. Finding the right balance between functionality and energy use is up to you. There are many settings where I suggest turning off vibration. Leave them on - if you want to - but be aware that vibration requires power.

If you scroll toward the bottom, you will also find an explanation and procedure for "bump charging" and a link to an external site that ran both OEM and 3rd party batteries through their paces. Results are worth a read.

Settings > Sound Settings:
    1. Sound Profile: normal or silent.
    2. Vibrate: unchecked.
    3. Vibrate feedback: unchecked.

Settings > Accounts and Sync:
    1. Background data: If this is selected, apps can send and receive online account information even if you are not currently using them.
    2. Auto-sync: If this is selected, everything listed below it will sync based on how you've configured it. If unchecked, you will have to manually sync each app.
    3. Under manage accounts, select each account (including weather, news, stocks) and modify their sync schedules.

Settings > Display Settings:
    1. Brightness level: Drag the brightness slider to the left to decrease (lowest consumption) or to the right to increase the screen brightness (highest consumption). Auto brightness attempts to manage this for you based on lighting conditions.
    2. Screen timeout setting: The lower the better.
    3. On screen animations: turn off.
    4. Notification Flash: Turn off if not using.

Settings > Wireless & Networks (most have widgets to control them):
    1. WiFi: Enable when WiFi connectivity is available. It consumes less power than the cellular data network (1x, 3G, or LTE).
    2. WiFi Settings: Open > click the menu capacitive button > then select advanced. If you click the pull-down menu, by default, it is set to never. Leaving it set to never is good. Otherwise, the phone will revert to the cellular data connection when the device goes to sleep, which consumes more power.
    3. Bluetooth: Uncheck when not in use.
    4. Mobile Hotspot: Uncheck when not in use. Plug the TB into a power outlet when using.
    5. Mobile network: Disconnects TB from Verizon's data network until you re-enable. Analogy: the equivalent of powering down your cable modem. If you do so, no application would be able to connect to the internet, but at least your modem would stop sucking up power. That said, WiFi will still work if enabled.

Settings > Location Settings:
    • Location settings: It's a common misconception that checking one or more of these boxes increases battery consumption. It's the apps - that use GPS - that will affect battery consumption. Leave all of these checked if you have configured an app (like weather) or plan on using another app that uses GPS (like Nav). The GPS radio will only be active when these apps are in use.

Settings > Power:
    • Enable power save: Check this and tweak the settings below it. Lots of good stuff in there.

Settings > Language & Keyboard > Touch Input > Text Input:
    • Uncheck Vibrate when typing.

Applications:
    1. Gtalk - by default it is set to automatically sign you in and will run in the background. This can disabled within the Gtalk settings.
    2. Mobile Hotspot - make sure you have your TB plugged in when in use.
    3. Navigation and/or VZ Navigator - when feasible, try to keep your TB plugged in when in use.
    4. Go through each and every app in your app drawer. If you see an app that looks like it might access the internet periodically, then open it up and see if there are settings to control update frequency. Examples: Friend Stream, Mobile IM, Peep, etc.
    5. Widgets that display battery, CPU, and memory utilization will consume more power because they are polling the system for information.
    6. Live wallpapers consumer more power than standard wallpapers.
    7. Wallpapers/apps: the color white consumes more energy than the color black.
    8. Task Killers: If you can't resist the temptation to use a task killer, please use extreme caution. Task killers - although unecessary - can be used to safely close applications that you have installed. Where they become problematic, is when you use them to close pre-installed apps or services. In many cases, these services and/or apps, have dependencies on other services/apps. Closing one could have an undesirable affect on another. There are others that the OS or HTC relies upon in order for things to work properly. If it senses it is no longer functioning Android will try to restart it. A war breaks out and the battery is the loser.

What is and how do I Bump Charge?

I first heard about bump charging back in the early days of owning the Incredible. I read a thread starting with this post and decided it wasn't something I wanted to do. That's just me though, and I realize it's a popular thing to do. That said, here is how it's done:
    1. Power up (if not already) and plug your TB into a power source. As the battery is being charged, the notification LED shows a solid orange light.
    2. Wait until LED is solid green, indicating it is fully charged.
    3. Unplug, press and hold the power button, and select the option to power off.
    4. Once powered down reconnect power source.
    5. The LED will show a solid orange light again, indicating it is charging.
    6. Once it's green, unplug the TB and use the power button to power up up the TB.
    7. Once Sense has loaded plug the phone back in again. You will notice that the LED is now orange again.
    8. Repeat steps 3-7 process until the light is green immediately upon plugging it back in (approximately 3-4 times).

Other considerations that impact battery life:
    • Frequent web browsing.
    • Voice call frequency.
    • Weak coverage areas and/or searching for signal.
    • Fringe 3G/1X/4G areas where there phone bounces back and forth between each.
    • If you are in a 3G only coverage area, the fact that 4G is a feature of this phone, does not mean battery is being impacted. In fact it isn't any more than when you are in a 1X only coverage area where 3G is available.
    • Overclocking (when available) will increase battery consumption.
    • High temperatures.
    • USB car chargers only output 500mAh - regardless of their rated output. The TB will see it as a USB host (like a PC/laptop) and will not draw any more power than that. Use a 1A car charger like . The Verizon charger is rated at 750mAh out. If you're in your car using Nav or more, 750mAh will not keep up. The wall charger pushes 1A - get a car charger that matches.
    • There are probably tweaks that HTC will be able to make to enhance battery life, but the real culprit is battery technology has not evolved as fast as the functionality of the modern smartphone's. We are now driving the equivalent of a Ferrari with a 2-gallon gas tank.

3rd Party Battery Test Results:
    • do not include testing for any TB OEM or 3rd party batteries. However, it is still an informative guide as to how well each of these batteries fared under testing.
    Another Battery Saving tip that I have found helpful is when you are connected to WiFi, turn off your Mobile Network. I have saved an average of 6% an hour of my battery this way on average with heavy use.

-Isaac-

Talking Re: Thunderbolt Problems & Solutions Tracker + Battery Tips 8/13/11

I am having problems with my screen. My HTC Thunderbolt is loosing its brightness. I have tried to correct this problem by turning up my phones brightness by settings and setting my phone to auto brightness. I have done this by seeing the screen. The screen still works (barely) but I am straining my eyes to see the screen, even in the darkness. It seems as if my phone is stuck set on the lowest brightness. May anyone have a suggestion please post.
    Thank You
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456