- 192 Posts
Is the battery indicator accuate?
It seems after using it for 10-15 minutes the battery goes to half way but it will stay there for a good while even when playing games and using the internet. I can't tell if its a horrible battery or just a bad indicator. It did the same thing with my ipod.Thanked by:
- 03-18-2011, 11:22 AM #2
- 03-18-2011, 11:36 AM #3
- 03-18-2011, 11:41 AM #4
- 03-18-2011, 11:48 AM #5
- 03-18-2011, 11:58 AM #6
- 03-18-2011, 12:02 PM #7
- 03-18-2011, 12:39 PM #8
Please Thank me or Add to my Reputation if I've helped you!
- 370 Posts
- 03-18-2011, 12:44 PM #9
- 03-18-2011, 12:51 PM #10
- 03-18-2011, 12:57 PM #11
- 03-18-2011, 01:01 PM #12
- 03-18-2011, 01:06 PM #13
- 03-18-2011, 01:06 PM #14
- 03-18-2011, 01:08 PM #15
Similar type home page widget, but more customizable if that matters to you. Colors / battery images/ sizes / tool bar status.
HTC gives you Healt / voltage & temp.
Battery Time gives you Times.
All depends on what you like. I am not sure HTC battery widget was out when I first got my Dinc a year ago. Might be why I started using battery Time????Waiting for the G-Nex
- 03-18-2011, 01:11 PM #16
- 03-18-2011, 01:12 PM #17
- 03-18-2011, 01:15 PM #18
- 03-18-2011, 01:18 PM #19
- 03-18-2011, 01:33 PM #20
- 03-18-2011, 01:42 PM #21
- 03-18-2011, 02:49 PM #22
There's already a sticky on this, but it's worth mentioning here as well, since it has come up. Some of these bullets overlap.
- Task managers - be extremely careful with these. Froyo has a built in task management within Android. If you kill system processes or apps that rely on other apps, your phone will go into an endless loop of trying to restart them, which impacts battery life even further.
- Update frequency for social network apps, the HTC Widgets that use the network to download updates, Facebook sync, and pretty much anything that auto syncs with the network on whatever interval it is configured to update
- Get detailed information about what's using what from settings > about phone > battery use
- Check GTalk auto sign in settings or any other IM app for that matter.
- 3G/4G data arrow activity (frequent solid white arrows?) could indicate problems. Something is pounding the network and is consuming battery life if those arrows are solid white more often that not.
- Check email configuration (update frequency for Exchange, IMAP, Gmail,
- Check 3rd party applications setting (including battery percentage widgets & instant messaging applications)
- Update frequency settings for various applications in settings > accounts & sync.
- You can get detailed information about what's things are consuming battery life via settings > about phone > battery use. Remember though, it is based on total percentage. If it says display is equal to 75% of the total, that doesn't mean you have a display issue. It just means that everything else collectively makes up for the other 25%. I would be more concerned if you had an app with a really high percentage.
- GTalk auto sign in settings.
- 4G/3G data arrow activity - the arrows are solid white - something is using the network.
- Check email configuration (update frequency for Exchange, IMAP, Gmail, POP)
- Do not use USB chargers in the car. Use one like this one with an output of at least 1A. The TB will not draw any more than 500mAh from a USB car charger, which is not enough to keep up if you are running GPS and other radio type functions.
- Turn on power saver to automatically switch to power saving mode when the battery level goes down to the level that you set. See “Optimizing
- It's a misconception that just because an app is shown as running in the app list, it is consuming battery.
- 03-18-2011, 02:51 PM #23
- 03-18-2011, 03:54 PM #24
- 58 Posts
The solution is apparently to charge the last hour or so with the phone shut off, it worked on my incredible but I haven't found time for this ridiculous "off" concept on my tb yet lol.
- 03-18-2011, 03:54 PM #25
- 1,060 Posts
Another thing to consider is that if your battery life is good now but suddenly goes downhill, start uninstalling apps that you had installed recently to find the culprit.