FM Capabilities

yidfixy

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone aware of the FM transmitting capabilities on this phone? I know it can receive FM, but I'd like to broadcast a signal if possible.

anon(75289)

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
It wont broadcast in FM. You would need a license for that. There is no phone in the world that does that. The FM/AM radio just tunes into your local stations if you have headphones plugged in.

yidfixy

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
A license? What about the FM car accessories? Something like that...I'm not talking about any kind of large scale transmitting.

anon(75289)

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
A license? What about the FM car accessories? Something like that...I'm not talking about any kind of large scale transmitting.
Oh ultra low power broadcasting. Ehh, to my knowledge there isn't any phone that does that either. Pick up one of the those headphone port FM car broadcasters. It will probably be sitting next to the ipods in any tech store.

baker954

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
I use a Motorola T505 for in-car stuff. Pretty much replicates OnStar for me... Puts the call over the car radio, etc. Have my #6 station button programmed to the FM station I have set on the T505, and call it a day.

Battery lasts a long time on the T505 too.

I replicate XM radio with my Slacker Premium subscription and the T505.

I miss those features of my old car, and this works out GREAT.

(This is my first post after being here for over a year... lol. Glad my first post was information, and not a question!)

Last edited:

yidfixy

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I've used external FM transmitters and AUX cables before, I thought there might be a chance this would be able to do something internal with FM.

I'm not entirely sure about the technology behind FM, but thought someone here might know if the capability to receive FM also meant a possibility of transmitting it.

anon(75289)

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I've used external FM transmitters and AUX cables before, I thought there might be a chance this would be able to do something internal with FM.

I'm not entirely sure about the technology behind FM, but thought someone here might know if the capability to receive FM also meant a possibility of transmitting it.

I am a licensed Amateur Radio Operator (HAM). In terms of 'Antennas' it's very easy to get a piece of metal to receive signals (which is why even head phones work for an Antenna) but broadcasting is a whole other story. Basically it's all about the SWR (Standing Wave Ratio).

Anyways, the TB doesn't have a built in antenna for FM, it relies completely on the metal in your headphone wire to pick up a signal. And that wire would have a Terrible SWR.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance