Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Still have old version of Market

My ThunderBolt came with the old version of the Market (i.e., the version without the curved header). I figured it would automatically updated, but it's been over 24 hours and no change. I've rebooted, checked the "My Apps" for an update, and tried the system update option, but no luck. Any suggestions?
    My tech timeline: 1981 - First programmed. 1986 - First modem connection. 1993 - First Internet SLIP account. 2000 - First broadband connection. 2003 - First BlackBerry. 2011 - First Android.

Go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> "All" Tab -> Scroll to 'Market' and open it, then hit 'clear data' and 'clear cache'

Then reboot and open the market and it should be the newer version
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    585 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted 4.0.4

Yep that worked for me last night^^^

you got swindled. you got the blunderbolt lol. yea biff got the method correct for u. happened to my friends mt4g

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by biff6789 View Post
    Go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> "All" Tab -> Scroll to 'Market' and open it, then hit 'clear data' and 'clear cache'

Worked for me. Thanks!!!!

strange; didn't work for me; following the exact instructions above; still have the non-curved old market. :/

Quote Originally Posted by defsquad View Post
    strange; didn't work for me; following the exact instructions above; still have the non-curved old market. :/
    Sometimes you need to wait for a few minutes before opening the market right after the reboot. You may also want to wait a few minutes BEFORE rebooting the first time as well

By clearing the data and cache, you wipe the slate clean for the app which triggers Google to send down the updated version via the cloud sync. This may take a few minutes as the phone has to download and then install the updated version behind the scenes (you won't see it install)

If it still doesn't work, just repeat the process again
    Thanked by:

You don't have to reboot, just force stop it once you clear the Data. Wait a minute or two. Without opening the market you can tell it's been updated or not just by going into the Apps manager again and go back into the Market where you cleared the data. the button that was labeled "uninstall updates" that was grayed out before will now be accessible, this means the update was downloaded and applied.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

is 2.3.4 the most recent version?
    Banned

Global Posts
    17,553 Global Posts

There was a thread with pics of the old market and new. That was very helpful.

Hey, I got my phone in Quakertown.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Thanks, Biff6789. That did the trick. I did get an error right after rebooting, but after reading your follow-up post, I now understand that it just hadn't had time to download and install the new version. After waiting a few minutes after the reboot, all was well.
    My tech timeline: 1981 - First programmed. 1986 - First modem connection. 1993 - First Internet SLIP account. 2000 - First broadband connection. 2003 - First BlackBerry. 2011 - First Android.

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 2.6.32.21

Quote Originally Posted by biff6789 View Post

Biff comes through again! Awesome!
    Former CrackBerry abuser. Running Android since February 24, 2011.
    HTC Thunderbolt running Adrynalyne's Basic Debloat