HTC Thunderbolt Review from Engadget

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Funny... I had the same feelings as I opened my tb boxes for the first time... heavy tank of a phone and nice box. Coming from a x I am not impressed with the phone but the lte is literally the best thing ever!!

Boy does my xoom zoom. I am using my xoom tethered to the tb of course. In a location that gets very poor 3g...and my dl speeds are four plus in both directions. I am in love.

Koato

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Definately helps to hear people who know what they are talking about say good things about the TB, I'd like them to do more battery tests though.

I can't wait for AC's review :D

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Their logic is so asinine.

It's a "single core in a dual-core age"? LOL. They gave the iPhone for Verizon 9/10 and that isn't a dual-core. Not to mention most phones aren't dual-core at all.

Isn't the Atrix the only one right now?

nate44

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
So the Evo 4G gets a 9/10, and the Thunderbolt beats it in every way and gets an 8/10, because its a little heavy and thick. LOL

The amazing LTE speeds alone should of made this a 9/10.

I want to see what BGR, and Anandtech have to say about this beast next.

Last edited:

eric6052

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Its a pretty good review. Chris tends to give phones a fair shake and in this case it seems like he did a tretty good job. He mentioned battery life which we all new would be an issue. The mention of all the bloatware was also nice to see as these carriers need to be called out in public for this bs.

Puterguru

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to start passing over reviews that focus an entire huge paragraph to what the fricking BOX looked like and do speed test as a barometer of the phone capabilities.

Reactions: krazy

krazy

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Agreed, I don't really understand why everyone with a camera needs to post a video of an "unboxing" to youtube everytime something new comes out. No one cares what the box and the manual look like.

ufmace

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Their logic is so asinine.

It's a "single core in a dual-core age"? LOL. They gave the iPhone for Verizon 9/10 and that isn't a dual-core. Not to mention most phones aren't dual-core at all.

Isn't the Atrix the only one right now?

Yeah, that kinda annoyed me too. They don't seem to have any beef with paying full price for a last-gen device when the iPhone 4 comes out on Verizon, but the Bolt comes out and all of the sudden, it's a "dual-core age", even though only one dual-core phone on one carrier has been released on the US market. Maybe a year from now you'll be able to say that it's a dual-core age, but not today IMO.

amotter

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone...I see the battery issue thread is closed, I will keep posting my updates for those of you who have not bought the phone and have serious issues about this. If I had any self control I would have done the same!

Today I turned it on at 7:30 and at 5:30 I had 40% left. My bolt had a busy day...constant push of my exchange e-mails (lets just say I get ALOT of email)...face book updates, surfed the net for about 25 minutes, lots of phone calls (I would say 10 in the 5 minute variety, and a call to my mom that lasted 31 minutes (haven't talked to her in like 3 weeks). maybe 4 or 5 texts...I am always turning it on and looking at it. I was really happy with the battery. Will it need charged during the day? I am going to say yes, that I will get in that habit of doing that because I am one of those people that like to not worry about it. But I did not charge it today so I could see what it was like. Live and work in 4g but it does toggle back and forth in and out of buildings to 3G. So far I am not concerned about the battery...my fears about what people have been saying are not true...at least for me so far! Hope this helps you. It is not as good as my storm was in its hey day....but so far day 2 has been great....

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
So the Evo 4G gets a 9/10, and the Thunderbolt beats it in every way and gets an 8/10, because its a little heavy and thick. LOL

The amazing LTE speeds alone should of made this a 9/10.

I want to see what BGR, and Anandtech have to say about this beast next.
I don't know man. I don't think I agree with this. I really like this device but a 9/10 doesn't leave much room for improvement and there are lots of ways this device could be improved. Speed is nice, yes. But imo, the Thunderbolt would have to have better battery life and aluminum unibody to be 9/10...and would have to have qHD screen and dual core to be a ten. I think 8/10 was very fair. It could have easily been a 7/10 imo, and that still would have been fair. I think the 32GB installed SD card is what, in my mind, ends up justifying the bump to 8/10. storage on this thing is great.

Also you have to remember timing is everything. When the EVO came out it was pretty darn innovative. The TB, not so much now. Things are moving quick. Like I said I really like this device but it's not revolutionary aside from being LTE capable. BUT there are many more LTE devices coming VERY quickly.

Last edited:

flashpiti

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
You're right even more perplexing!

Don't even get me started on why the verizon eyephone4 got a 9/10 lol

Maybe because it can do Skype video and Netflix over 3G? It was a fair review and I thought they were generous giving it an 8, I think it's a 7.5 as it's lacking any apps that really take advantage of lte, and offers really nothing new or revolutionary. If it had better battery life, a dual core processor, qhd screen, and lte it would have a 9or 10 for sure, just look at the atrix review.