1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Default Android email attachment/file question

Is there a way to save an email attachment to the SD card?

Is there a way in Android to "associate" a file extension with an executable, like in Windows? I receive attachments with the extension ".log" and cannot open them or save them to disk. They are actually .TXT files.

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by FrankXS View Post
    Is there a way to save an email attachment to the SD card?

Is there a way in Android to "associate" a file extension with an executable, like in Windows? I receive attachments with the extension ".log" and cannot open them or save them to disk. They are actually .TXT files.

-Frank
    Bump. Anyone?

I did manage to find the downloaded attachments in the "Download" folder using Astro File Manager (available in the Market). And, I can then display the ".log" plain text files using "OfficeSuite" which I also installed from the Market.

But, I would really like to be able to associate these "log" files in such a way that I could download and click on them in my email to open them. Right now I get a message saying "not supported file format" (or similar).

I was looking through Astro and it seems to have extensions associated with mime types. But I can't figure out if I can do what I want or if it will work. I'm afraid if I dink around in there with Astro without knowing what I'm doing I'll mess something up (famous last words! ).

I should add that the mime type for .log was already set to "plain text".

Maybe a different office suite? I'm happy to pay for whatever works, that's not the issue.

TIA,

-Frank
    Last edited by FrankXS; 03-20-2011 at 11:02 AM.
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]

In Mail go to just the account you want settings > general settings > attachement cache you can make it internal or external storage
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by realitydigg View Post
    In Mail go to just the account you want settings > general settings > attachement cache you can make it internal or external storage
    Thanks. I did find that. But the issues is not so much where they are stored, but how to open and read them from within my email.

-Frank

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

Have you tried to long press the attachment? You should get a popup asking what you want to use to open the file with.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by squintter View Post
    Have you tried to long press the attachment? You should get a popup asking what you want to use to open the file with.
    Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I tried a long press. A long press on the attachment from within my email doesn't do anything that just tapping does - "unable to open this file". It's just because of the ".log" extension. Although a long press using Astro in the file system does give me this prompt.

Anyway, I have now purchased Officesuite Pro (I like it) and since I have now found where these attachments are on-disk (SD Card /download folder) I can open them with Officesuite. Officesuite prompts me "do you want to import this plain text file", I say yes and it works fine. Officesuite will automagically open other "normal" extension attachments directly from my email (i.e. doc, docx, xls, xlsx, etc. - well not ".etc" ).

I am satisfied with this. Most attachments are known file types. And looking in the SDcard/download directory is not a big deal occasionally.

I also purchased Astro File Manager. Very cool. The free Astro is supported with ads, I decided I wanted to pay the $2.99 to get rid of the ads. Officesuite Pro was $14.99. I'm happy now

-Frank

Default Re: Android email attachment/file question

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem and wrote an app that does not require you to go into any other apps. Once you installed my App, you get a "View" button in your email attachment list that immediately shows the log file. The app is called "Log File Viewer"; you can download it from here:

If you have any comments, let me know :-)

Cheers,
    Michael