Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Must apps for first time android user

Today I'm making the switch from a blackberry curve 8330 to the thunderbolt. I really have no where to start with my new phone. What are the must apps to download for this phone. Just know I never downloaded any apps when I had my blackberry so I'm a total virgin to this platform. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

bump. Me too

Google voice

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

Here is the best spot to find must have apps.

My favorites are ADW launcher, Pandora, Palmary weather, Beautiful Widgets.
    Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,699 Global Posts

I no particular order:

Google Voice
    Ringdroid
    Google Goggles
    Gesture Search
    Apps Organizer
    Dropbox
    Astro
    Google Sky

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF 1.5R / leanKernel

Quote Originally Posted by mclarryjr View Post
    Here is the best spot to find must have apps.

My favorites are ADW launcher, Pandora, Palmary weather, Beautiful Widgets.
    Why would you need beautiful widgets when everything it offers is already included with HTC's sense?
    Cars, Technology, and Stogies ... All the fine things in life.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang7302 View Post
    Why would you need beautiful widgets when everything it offers is already included with HTC's sense?
    I like using different launchers and doing so makes the HTC widget not work. And I like a smaller clock (2x1).

Angry Birds
    Barcode Scanner
    Beautiful Widgets
    Chrome to Phone (send links from Chrome to your phone. handy for sending an address out to your device before you leave so you don't have to mess with it in your car)
    Dolphin Browser Mini (spanks the stock web browser)
    Dropbox
    Google Goggles
    Handcent SMS (replaces the stock Messaging app)
    Launcher Pro (dock/homescreen replacement)
    IMDb
    Mint
    Picplz
    Shazam
    Simi Clock widget
    SMS Popup (I turn off handcent's popup and use this instead.. more customizable)
    Swiftkey (keyboard replacement.. paid for it.. love it)
    Team Coco (if you're a Conan fan)
    TipCalc
    Tweetdeck
    Vignette (paid for it.. love it)
    Wapedia (cleaner way of browsing Wikipedia)
    Wordfeud (aka Scrabble.. don't use Words for Friends. it's a buggy piece of sh!t right now)
    Winamp (essential if you put music on your phone.. wifi sync is awesome)
    Thanked by:

ROM
    BAMF Sense 3.0

GTunes
    Wattpad(books)
    Stupid Zombies(better than Angry Birds)
    Fling Away
    Droid Streamer
    Lightning Bug
    Paper Toss
    Steamy Window
    Doodle Jump
    Energy hoarder

Global Posts
    1,473 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock rooted

Alarm clock xtreme is good if you're a stubborn waker. It makes you do math problems if you desire.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

whats the best app to stream music or listen to music during the day?
    Energy hoarder

Global Posts
    1,473 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock rooted

Quote Originally Posted by tlinnert View Post
    whats the best app to stream music or listen to music during the day?
    Pandora. You can easily program your own radio station.

If I am like most guys that have a wife, girlfriend or signifcant other, when it comes to any Holiday that traditionally requires gift giving, I really have a hard time figuring out the best gift to get. I also know that as we walk around various stores she always says "Hey, I really like that!" which is usually followed up by "That would a great gift for Xday." Bad news for me is when it comes time for the particular "Xday" to get here I can't remember for the life of me what it was she said she would like. I would like to see someone develop an App similar to the barcode scanner. The App would scan the barcode of the item and then put that item on a gift giving list. You could make seperate lists for seperate people or seperate list for seperate Holidays. Any developers out there that can help?
    Banned

Global Posts
    17,448 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tlinnert View Post
    Today I'm making the switch from a blackberry curve 8330 to the thunderbolt. I really have no where to start with my new phone. What are the must apps to download for this phone. Just know I never downloaded any apps when I had my blackberry so I'm a total virgin to this platform. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    I came from a BlackBerry too. Check out my Sig for apps.

if you are coming from a blackberry look for a profile app- will help the transition

oh yeah and Angry birds.... WhatApp also good to help you forget BBM- works cross platform

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredJedi View Post
    If I am like most guys that have a wife, girlfriend or signifcant other, when it comes to any Holiday that traditionally requires gift giving, I really have a hard time figuring out the best gift to get. I also know that as we walk around various stores she always says "Hey, I really like that!" which is usually followed up by "That would a great gift for Xday." Bad news for me is when it comes time for the particular "Xday" to get here I can't remember for the life of me what it was she said she would like. I would like to see someone develop an App similar to the barcode scanner. The App would scan the barcode of the item and then put that item on a gift giving list. You could make seperate lists for seperate people or seperate list for seperate Holidays. Any developers out there that can help?
    Barcode scanner stores and allows you to send history. I'm thinking this would work unless you scan so much that you wouldn't be able to go back and figure out who said they wanted what. Even then you can just email it to yourself right after you scan it and type who and what holiday/occasion in the email text.
    Thanked by:
    Geek Freak

Global Posts
    503 Global Posts

Talking

Loving my Thunderbolt:

If your coming from a BlackBerry and use profiles, I am using:
    Settings Profile

Other must have Apps I love:
    SwiftKey (KB Replacement)
    DropBox
    Evernote
    Twidroyd (Twitter App)
    CircleLauncher (Widget)
    DolphinHD (Browser)
    Beautiful Widgets
    AudioManager
    Multicon Widget
    NewsRob Pro
    Where's My Droid
    Astro (File Manager)

Quote Originally Posted by krazy View Post
    Barcode scanner stores and allows you to send history. I'm thinking this would work unless you scan so much that you wouldn't be able to go back and figure out who said they wanted what. Even then you can just email it to yourself right after you scan it and type who and what holiday/occasion in the email text.
    Thanks. Being new to Android, I didn't know Barcode Scanner would do that. I was wondering if there would be one that would just store the name of the item and I could make different lists (i.e birthday, Valentines Day, etc.) and it would put that item name in that holiday list.
    Banned

Global Posts
    17,448 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dequardo View Post
    AppBrain
    I love appbrain! Made it so easy to install my list of apps.

ROM
    VirusROM RC1B2!!!

AppBrain (or the Android Market Online)
    If you do the Android Markey you can install with a click and it sends it to your phone.

Auto Wi-Fi (allows my phone to automatically turn on Wi-fi where I get close to home or other spicified places) Awesome program!

My Back up (allows back to SD card or Cloud) back up SMS, call history, programs, pragrams data files.. a must have

Angrry Birds!!! Who doesn't love to kill the pigs(Chrisy, dont mean to afend... LOL)
    i7 PC/Mac Mini - iPad 1(EX) - iPad 2 - Droid Incredible(EX) - HTC Thunderbolt!! - ATV2
    Just all around Tech Geek!